It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take Down THAT Flag.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

UC Irvine Student government leader Matthew Guevara gets trolled. He called for the removal of the American flag back in like march, because it made people feel uncomfortable and unsafe, so he wrote a bill to ban the flag.

In his own words, the flag caused a hostile environment.

Some lulz moments.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
That guy is a complete tool. Where does someone go to get this stupid? I guess a liberal university in the People's Republic of California.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
"hostile work environment"
Poor baby. A piece of cloth scared him and he needs a hug. Hope he finds a job at a liberal college, cause the real world will leave him catatonic with fear.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Has he ever worked a day in his life?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Whats happened over there? When Bush was in power I really hoped the Liberals would sort things out. Instead they are a bunch of fascists. You guys will have no heritage left.

Anything of US heritage is deemed offensive by them. Way to really screw up a country.

Why are they always so offended at such silly things. Its people trying to prove a point in a very pathetic way.

Why get offended at a flag? If that flag represents a violent gang for example, be afraid of the gang, banning the flag will change nothing. If the flag represents something from the past, again, banning it changes nothing. The past needs to be remembered, its history, good and bad. Its your heritage. People like this hate America. They are the terrorists.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
If he is so scared of the US that he feels even the flag is hostile I think he should consider moving. I bet he would quickly change his tune if he was told to leave.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: brancolinoxx
Whats happened over there? When Bush was in power I really hoped the Liberals would sort things out. Instead they are a bunch of fascists. You guys will have no heritage left.

Anything of US heritage is deemed offensive by them. Way to really screw up a country.

Why are they always so offended at such silly things. Its people trying to prove a point in a very pathetic way.

Why get offended at a flag? If that flag represents a violent gang for example, be afraid of the gang, banning the flag will change nothing. If the flag represents something from the past, again, banning it changes nothing. The past needs to be remembered, its history, good and bad. Its your heritage. People like this hate America. They are the terrorists.

Correct banning the flag isn't going to change a thing. They already put in a bill for:
"California Assembly Approves Bill Banning Confederate Names" Source
Which was successful, names are to be changed by 2017.
Looks like the US flag would be the next logical step for this maddness.

What happened? Apparently a lot of their politics are heavily paid off. They won't even legalize marijuana, allow GMO labels, etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: brancolinoxx

You guys will have no heritage left.

Oh, we'll have heritage....just the correct version. I keep expecting ads to pop up on TV or website : "Get you Liberal Approved History and Ideology Today!! On Sale Now!!! "

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Broad brush painting this SJW as a liberal is as dishonest as claiming that the Wesboro Baptist Church is indicative of all Conservatives.

This guy is a fanatical idiot who is taking an idea to an irrational extreme. That's that.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I'm a bit confused here, I thought at the time of slavery you were under the British Flag and the Stars and Stripes came during your civil war to stop slavery, I'M British so not sure

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: pavmas

No. The civil war began in the 1850's. We became a sovereign nation in the 1770's.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

No. The civil war began in the 1850's. We became a sovereign nation in the 1770's.

Ahh but remember the US flag in its many incarnations has been used at racist events. SO i fwe get rid of th eAlabama battle flag to be fair the U S flag has to go as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

The US Flag was not dredged up from obscurity and flown on State buildings as a direct form of racial intimidation during the Civil Rights movement. The Confederate battle flag, on the other hand, exactly fits that bill.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
You're in America, mate. They fly the American flag there, surprisingly enough. Do you expect them to turn their back on their country because you happen to be there? If you don't feel safe or comfortable in America, go elsewhere. It should be that simple. A country and it's flag go hand in hand. Why should they forsake their heritage in the name of your feelings?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The interviewer seems to be stealing the boy's lines. All the boy does is says "yea" to all of his questions. The interviewer should have just narrated everything. My fav part is when the boy says he's taking tuition assistance because he wants to take advantage of the american system. And that his brother has made a great life for himself and that his parents came here for the american dream so they could make a better life. Hhhmmm.... One would think that since america has made his and his entire families future a lot brighter,,,,, well whateva.

America, # you!! Indeed.

a reply to: Lysergic

edit on 6-9-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
That maybe so but it still was used more actually than the alabama flag for oppresive reasons. Take the indians for example. American flag not the alabama flag. Before they dredged up th ealabama flag again th eUS flag was hoisted up at lynchings,and all sort of nastiness. SO my point stands. But to tell the absolute truth all flags at one time or another have been used to represent oppression.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm against banning flags and symbols. Better to wear the flag of your oppressor than to give it more prominence by a ban. Hitler took a good symbol, from the far east, and turned it into a symbol of hate and oppression. So, once meaning "good luck", the swastika now permanently means "hate", and we can not change it's meaning back, because of the "ban". Hitler won. The human body dies, as with the man himself, but his symbol lives on with the meaning he gave it.

That is wrong. The meaning of the symbol should die with the man.

But, the way things are today, no one can change the meanings of some symbols, because the bans on their use fixes the meaning to be that held by the haters and oppressors.

Why does society want to keep certain meanings the same?

The best way to deal with an unfavorable symbol is to use it, with alternate meanings, so that the "special use" of it as a symbol of hate is destroyed gradually over time.

We increase the power of a symbol by reacting to it with disapproval. We reduce the power of a symbol by destroying its meaning through alternate use.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I guess every flag, if we try hard enough, can hurt someone's feelings in one way or another.

It's almost as if someone wants us to banish all national flags... and boundaries while we're at it.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Hefficide

Ahh but remember the US flag in its many incarnations has been used at racist events. SO i fwe get rid of th eAlabama battle flag to be fair the U S flag has to go as well.

That may be so, however the ORIGINAL message of the flag is about freedom and equality. For THAT reason the flag should and WILL always stand.

It does not matter if people use it the way you mentioned, people will try to justify things using a symbol. Those who use it this way are desecrating what the flag actually stands for.

To those who try and use the race card on me. My DNA shows, im part black, part indigenous, part celtic with traces of the basque society. But DNA or "race" means nothing to me compared to what that flag stands for and the importance of the message for HUMANITY as a whole.

All Men are created equals, and we are all human beings. ( with exception of ET's of course.)

new topics

top topics

join