It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist or Funny? You Decide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
There's been a lot threads with racist themes lately, so I thought it might be a good time to lighten the subject up with some comedy, and an honest discussion.

Topic? Is this racist?

I'm happy to say that this video has a transcript, for our hearing impaired members! Trust me, it's worth the read, imho.

To sum up the video, trying not to spoil the story, Gabriel Iglesias and his friend punk their black entertainer friend with a "Racist Gift Basket". They tell the people at the grocery store what they're doing and employ their help in making it the most racist they can, and then employ the hotel staff in their racist "punking".

So...what ATS.....Racist or Funny?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Can't be both?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Absolutely! But is it okay for racism to funny? I guess that's the question?

I gotta say, I enjoyed the video immensely and I don't feel guilty at all!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Lysergic

Absolutely! But is it okay for racism to funny? I guess that's the question?

I gotta say, I enjoyed the video immensely and I don't feel guilty at all!

No laughter without pain, and all that jazz.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I found it funny. Take a look at Russel Peters. He makes similar jokes too.

edit on 5-9-2015 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

HAHA! That was pretty funny stuff!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I LOVE Gabriel Iglesias! Hilarious story! First time I've heard that one.

It's harmlessly race-centric... IMO. He takes aim at EVERYONE and means NO ill-intent. That's why I wouldn't call it racist. I love that about his comedy. His impressions are SO good!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

edit on 5-9-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
just let a white guy do that routine then you see how it isn't funny

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

There is humor to be found in anything. Presentation is everything. Perspective and perception are subjective.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Too funny. If your honest with yourself, every culture has their food preferences and a history. As an Italian American I hear jokes with reference to the mafia, food, name calling, etc.... I'm never offended, and I have to laugh right along with it. Even among family we joke about it. Sometimes you can't take life so serious. Laughing at your self is good for the soul.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
There's been a lot threads with racist themes lately, so I thought it might be a good time to lighten the subject up with some comedy, and an honest discussion.

Topic? Is this racist?

I'm happy to say that this video has a transcript, for our hearing impaired members! Trust me, it's worth the read, imho.

To sum up the video, trying not to spoil the story, Gabriel Iglesias and his friend punk their black entertainer friend with a "Racist Gift Basket". They tell the people at the grocery store what they're doing and employ their help in making it the most racist they can, and then employ the hotel staff in their racist "punking".

So...what ATS.....Racist or Funny?

LMAO! I love it!

I like the fact that the black guy loved the gift basket until he found out a bunch of comerical white guys in suits sent it to him. lol!

I think it would be classed as more cliche-d than racist?

I also liked this Russell Peters guy as well.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It is funny, but sometimes I think racism is not racism between 2 races that were/are targets of racism. Did that make sense? A Black guy can call another Black guy a ni**** and it's not taken as an insult. My son's girlfriend is Hispanic and called her Hispanic friend "such a beaner" and it was not an insult. Let a White person do either of those and watch the fireworks. If 2 close friends were of different races that are constantly the target of racist jokes, doing it to each other wouldn't be seen as racist.
Or did I just confuse that more?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Agree. Back in school, I once said to a mate "what's up ni**er" and everyone on the train started giving me dirty looks. He was fine with it but a black lady there clearly didn't like it despite the fact that I wasn't even talking to her.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
These vids were funny as hell! LOL!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
just let a white guy do that routine then you see how it isn't funny

thats what i was thinking.
there would be a different reaction.

anyone hear of ari shaffir?
let a white dude do the stuff he does and it would be a total disaster

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Funny because they all laughed together in the end. I hate racism when its vindictive but this was pure fun between mates. Would Gabriel have laughed had two of his black friends done it to him, I bet he would?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Hmmmmm I don't really get it. What's there not to love about fried chicken? I love all sorts of cooked chicken including fried. What is that all to do with racism or being black? Melon sounds good too. I am white and Scottish and apart from crappy coolaide the basket sounded yummy.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I found it funny.
Mind you I like frankie Boyle.

The racist door lol.

edit on 6-9-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV
extra DIV

top topics

join