posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 12:07 PM
Apparently the Saturday in september is world beard day.
I thought some of our hairier members might enjoy joining in so started this thread.
From the website
"World Beard Day Facts
– In southern Spain, many townships gather to witness a boxing match between a bearded man and a beardless boy. The bearded man, normally armed with
a sharp pike, is typically the victor.
– In the Swedish village of Dönskborg, anyone without a beard is banished from the town and forced to spend twenty-four hours in a nearby forest.
Back in the town, the hirsute burn effigies of their clean-chinned loved ones.
– The exact origins of World Beard Day are unknown, but there is some evidence to suggest that Danish Vikings had a special day dedicated to the
glorification of beards as far back as 800 AD. The event was not held on a fixed date, and was often celebrated hundreds of times each year. This
early incarnation of what would one day become World Beard Day typically involved the ransacking of neighbouring towns, villages and countries by
large groups of heavily-armed bearded men.
– Throughout the world, bearded communities are encouraged to acknowledge this sacred day by organising and staging their own public or private
World Beard Day celebrations. These can consist of anything from a relaxing family lunch to a lavish, tax payer-funded street parade.
– Shaving on World Beard Day is universally considered to be highly disrespectful."
Link to site
IMAGE REMOVED BY STAFF
edit on 12-9-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)