It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's kill this turgid, mind-numbing forum. It's just a distraction from real life.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

That's the conditioning though isn't it?

You have a tough day at work and you're conditioned into turning the TV and not doing anything productive or social or - and here's the big one... to better mankind, yourself and others around you.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Denial.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
But then where would you complain about how TV is pointless mindrot that is used to control us at?

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Without an appropriately deep hole in the vicinity, this may not have the correct gravitas, however:

THIS IS ATS!

I am sorry, but if this place is going down hill, in your estimation, then make an effort to improve it for yourself, by posting quality threads, not like this one, but which ADD something, contribute something worth while to the totality of it. Get your head out of what ails it, and into what inspires it, and by so doing inspire the minds of others.

THAT is a thread we all want to see, no matter which forum it is in. If you find a television show which contains significant, or overwhelming BS, make a thread in this forum and pick it apart, take it to pieces, AUTOPSY the thing, right here on the ATS slab, and let people know what you think of it, start a discussion of merit. Use it the way you feel it ought to be used, as a warning system! Think outside the boxes these forums represent, and find a way to use them the right way for you, rather than get riled up about it. Usurp if you cannot remove, and allow the membership to make their contribution to it as well!

It has ever been this way here. If you have a gripe, solve it using the tools provided! It's all here for us, we have only to grasp and wield that which is provided us!

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
But then where would you complain about how TV is pointless mindrot that is used to control us at?

Yes, yes exactly!

But we're not - we're talking about how amazing it is.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Hear hear!

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

An effort is to point out to all these people in denial that TV is a distraction.

Not art.

Not a wind-down tool.

But a distraction that has negative effects on your brain and humanity.

If the thread was about the next episode of Walking Dead I'd be the next ATS star.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Anything If you over indulge will rot your Brain.
Same for TV.
I fail to see how documentary's teaching us about other places and different animals rots your brain.
Now If you talk about the quality rots your brain I would agree X factor does and such but you caan not tar the whole of TV because of the crap on there.
There are many very good shows which make you think and wonder.
I think you are doing the writers and actors a discredit tbh.

edit on 4-9-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Already we see two replies from members who are in denial.

The power that is TELEVISION.

Who denied anything?

I like my handful of HBO and Showtime programs and my Yankee games and will readily admit that.

You remind me of a self-righteous vegan with your stance. If you don't like TV (meat) then don't watch (eat) it.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Not art.

Not a wind-down tool.

It is art regardless of what you say, the definition of art isn't that subjective. And it can and does help people relax so your second claim is also false. Just because you don't use it that way, or at all, doesn't make your claim true.

But a distraction that has negative effects on your brain and humanity.

So basically you claim to have a better brain than me simply because you don't watch TV? Well I'm going to claim the opposite, and say that my watching TV has clearly opened up my imagination and my ability to react to unexpected situations and produce novel solutions to problems. I have learned many important philosophical lessons from TV which you probably haven't learned because life hasn't put you into those situations.
edit on 4/9/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

What is art if not a distraction, a thing created wholly for the purpose of enjoyment or to stimulate thoughts ideas and discussion?

I agree there is a whole lot of vapid programming, but I diddn't think there were threads about TOWIE or the soaps on here (I could be wrong).

I dont like most sports, and in my oppinion it is a huge distraction of the masses (often hand in hand with the television), but i don't see myself as an arbiter on the matter and go on to rant about how it is mind rotting distraction from the $#!4 going on, especially come world cup time when lots of interesting things often unfold, unseen, because PEOPLE ENJOY IT.

Alcohol kills you, cigarettes kill you, sunbathing kills you, hiking leads to grater risk of accidents, motorcycling is largely more dangerous than other forms of transport, but we do these things, or not, because we enjoy them.

A thing does not have to be wholly good, and if there are negatives then the enjoyment taken from it to be null.

I see your point but to call denial to everyone is hardly the mark of someone who is making the world a better place because they do not watch television, rather the mark of a supremacist or bitter man, which from your other threads I highly doubt you are.
edit on 4/9/2015 by Learningman because: Confusing sentance

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I don't watch TV, but I do watch some TV series on Netflix. Does that count?

Some TV is educational. I loved the updated Cosmos series, by Neil Degrass Tyson. Does that count as mind rot? When they were popular, I used to love to watch certain game shows, like Jeopardy. I learned a lot from watching Jeopardy.

Some TV is not educational, but just pure entertainment. Riding roller coasters is not educational, but just pure entertainment. Does riding roller coasters count as mind rot? Do you think roller coasters should be outlawed as mind rot?

I would agree that there is a lot on TV that is just junk. I, for example, am NOT a fan of reality TV shows. But if someone wants to start a thread on the Kardashians, far be it from me to stop them. I just won't participate in it. Might I suggest you do the same?

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Behind the trees buddy

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Where are your examples of both the subtle and the overt mind buggeration that is occurring? Where are your explicit critiques and examinations of the worst offending programs and networks? Where is your analysis of news reportage, biased documentaries, and your character bios on the editors, producers and directors, not to mention CEOs and managing entities of the networks involved?

If you want to make the case, get it done right! Provide some background, the origins of television, the way it has been used both in the west, and globally, as a force for propagandism, rather than to inform, to enslave rather than to enlighten.

Let's be honest, this was not your effort at such a thing, and I know this to be the case because if it was your best effort at doing so, you particularly, would have done a far more comprehensive job of it! To be honest, I would love to see that from you, from anyone. Hell, if it was not your baby, I would be all over it as an idea, save for the fact that right now I am at work, and later I will be out in town, getting the borough under my feet, and listening for the great pulse of humanity, its ebbs and flows and peaks and troughs.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Why do I have to conform to your thread writing rules?

Those links I posted are good enough for me but half of these TV addicted members won't have read them. Too busy doing homework and watching TV.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yankees? racist!!

lol

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

What about Movies on TV?.
Movies all bad also?.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

You are the one who mentioned the days when ATS was ATS.

I merely pointed out that if you really had a hankering for that sort of thing, you could have made a thread worthy of that period. So in actual fact, they are not my rules at all, but suggestions I made to remind you what you are asking for from others.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Did you read the OP?

Did you read the links?

You're focusing on content rather than the effects of the box.

Read those two links I posted.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Yankees? racist!!

Wrong Yankees, they were once named the Highlanders due to the owners Scottish heritage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join