It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Core Addition - Video - * Warning Nauseating *

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Video shows a girl solving a math problem, using the comon core method, or whatever the hell this is. Some sort of base ten, and drawing shapes IDK it was hard to watch as I could feel the urge to vomit through my eyes. After 45 mins give or take an hour she finishes with that method and turns the paper and proceeds to do the problem using the "old skool method" completing it in a few seconds, same answer... No migraine.

I ask this to those with children, are they seriously trying to teach kids math this way instead of the other way around? I mean sure if lil johnny NEEDS that method to learn so be it, however, for those without learning difficulties it seems beyond asinine.
edit on 3-9-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

What the hell?

I have a migraine.

At first I thought "maybe they are trying to get kids ready for math theory"

Nope.

Just a migraine.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I've been throwing a fit over this latest batch of stupidity since I found out about it. People I know that have kids are pissed off. I think it's another step in dumbing down the country-not that it needs help in that department. I really don't know what was wrong with the old way.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

It left behind the children who had number sense issues, so now we have to assume that everyone has number sense issues.

See? Now no one has to feel bad because we assume everyone is equally learning disabled and can't figure out base ten without extra learning support.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I literally just registered how my daughter is learning how to do sight words and its disgusting, especially because I know how smart my daughter is. Just last week, we got back her spelling test, The page was blank with a bunch of check marks, come to find out, they don't write down the word as the test, they spell the word out by mouth. Then the teacher checkmarks the word if spelled right. My wife and I, are gonna start taking out a couple of hours during the day to show her the proper way, or at least the way we were taught as children.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Surely this isn't taught to the elites' children who attend private schools.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

What the hell was that. Looks like a remedial special education.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
My kids started learning this at their former school. I've since got them into a public charter school with a classical education curriculum. Making this move has become more popular for this reason. There, they'll learn math the same way as the people who put a man on the moon. It was good enough for them so it should work for my kids. I'm not sure who decided the standard way of learning math was insufficient.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They'd be better off with a Chinese Abacus.

Everybody gets a trophy !!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
God I thought you was exaggerating, but that did give me a migraine, insane!

... Heather Feather time, my brain needs soothing after that.
edit on VpmThursday43pm930 by valiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

When I was really small I used to use one of those.

They help small children learn addition and subtraction quickly.

Honestly this other method is ridiculous.

When these kids get to Algebra and Calculus they are going to have difficulty. You need to be able to do simple operations quickly once you start getting higher up.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: newWorldSamurai

That's where we're at - a school with a classical education curriculum.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
My ass would have been left behind if I had tried to learn it this way. I feel like I'm missing the point...

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I saw a lot of this stuff last year from my kid's homework. I think that ketsuko has a great point above. This technique may be great for some children with certain learning requirements. Unfortunately, this didn't work so great for my child, she struggled with math all last year.

This method is really weird, especially to those of us who learned math the "old school" way. I asked a friend of mine who is about to begin her student teaching to help me learn to do the math this way, so that I could work with my daughter. I couldn't wrap my head around it, and it drove me mad trying to relearn it that way. I ended up just working with my kid on it the old school way, which definitely seems to work better for her. We'll see how she does this year.

Many teachers don't like this common core either, for what it's worth. Some do, but a lot don't.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: newWorldSamurai

That's where we're at - a school with a classical education curriculum.

The charter school that opened here in Denver this year filled up immediately. It would seem many people are looking for alternatives to our failing public schools. Kudos to you.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
My nephew was in advanced math in the second grade, they said he was at a 6th grade level. He loved school, loved computers, wanted to be a programmer. He even loved math homework.

Now since they've changed to this, all he does is dread even going to school. He hates math, and is no longer in advanced classes. He says its so stupid to spend all that time, when he can do it in his head.

I actually think he's depressed about it. I can see why now.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Wetpaint72

That's depressing. What grade is he in?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I guess they're prepping the future generations. When we all communicate language with emojis and the only three numbers we have are square, stick, and x.

Sad

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Wetpaint72
I feel for you nephew, I was literally about to post about whether this turns more kids off to math, I enjoyed math in school for the most part, if it was like this though? I'd have the same thought, whats the point of doing all these absurd steps when most are capable of doing it in a few steps? It's like saying while a straight line is the shortest distance between two points, a maze is preferred.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
My youngest was on his way out of grade school when some of this crazy stuff starting coming up. It made it hard to help him with his homework when he was required to show his work with these ridiculous boxes and charts. It didn't make much sense to me and I had no patience for it. Then I'd show him how we learned to solve the problem, old school style. He'd get upset that my way was so much easier and simpler to understand, while he had to muddle through this nonsense.

As soon as they exit grade school, it seems like most of the work is done with calculators and through online homework assignments, and taught much the same way we learned it years ago. I really feel sorry for these young kids tho. It seems like it takes 10 times as long to solve a simple problem and half a sheet of paper with common core methods.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join