It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reflections on turning 50.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Thanks for posting the video, except I don't accept the philosophical perspective. Comparing flowering plants to emotional and thinking lives just doesn't wash. Even in the wild, animals teach their cubs how to find food and protect themselves. As human beings, we do the same thing. Without parental direction, we would allow are children to be influenced by poor role models, drugs, the media etc....

It's the parent's responsibility to teach their children right from wrong. Parents just can't let their kids see someone killing another human being in a movie and expect them to figure it out and understand it's wrong.
Teaching our offspring has it's roots since the start of human history. Jesus Christ even taught his followers the difference between right and wrong, and how to treat their fellow man. If you don't teach your kids how to survive in this world by educating themselves and treating everyone with consideration, and respect, you're setting them up for failure and are adding to the problems of society.

You can't get anywhere without a map, so it is with human life.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons most human beings know the difference between right and wrong. Most human beings are good by nature. It's only media politics and religion that tell you different. On an average day I see more good people than bad ones. Most people know co operation is much effective than conflict and ingratiating Ones self with people is more effective than bashing them on the head to get what you need from them.

edit on 4-9-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
What the frigging hell has happened to the youth of today?
Never have I witnessed such a bunch of passionless, inane, insipid and bland twats in all my life and all my travels.
They seem devoid of independent and reasoned thought, lack any sort of creativity and are soulless.
And they are so weak and mothered, it's truly pathetic to watch and listen.
Grow a pair? How can they, they've been neutered.
Man up? How can they when everything 'manly' is demonised and frowned upon.

All young boys should join their local rugby club as far as I'm concerned.
My son has played since the age of 6 and is soon looking to get even a place on the bench with the First XV when he turns 18.
Your description of passionless, inane, insipid and bland twats is not something I recognise in my son or any of his team mates, don't see it in any of the other age groups from under 7's to veterans either.

Yep, make rugby compulsory for all young men I say, learn discipline, team work, how to take physical knocks, and get all the anger out on the pitch with a few pints sunk afterwards.

I like football as well (soccer for US folk) but when Premier league players start crying over knocks that are less intense than seen in an under 12's rugby match, I don't see them as role models.
...oh and don't get me started on American Football, boring as #, body armour, helmets, run for 20 seconds then a tea break between every phase of play, lame and I'm glad we don't see much of that crap sport in the UK.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I still like to live life to the full and do so on a fairly frequent basis.

But I've always been a passionate person.
When I was younger I didn't want to change the world....I wanted to smash it to #ing bits.

And that passion still burns fiercer than ever.
Sure it's tempered with my life experiences, but it's still there burning away with an intensity that will never fade.

Now that brings me to one of the saddest reflections I could have.
What the frigging hell has happened to the youth of today?
Never have I witnessed such a bunch of passionless, inane, insipid and bland twats in all my life and all my travels.
They seem devoid of independent and reasoned thought, lack any sort of creativity and are soulless.
And they are so weak and mothered, it's truly pathetic to watch and listen.
Grow a pair? How can they, they've been neutered.

In my mind when I turned 50 to be honest I did panic a bit but then I thought it's just a number that's supposed to mean something in society not sure what though.In my head I still feel in my twenties and just as active. It's a minor moment we all have in life so the 50's can be just as good as anytime in your life and make it anything you want after all it is just a number...I'll give you the heads up you'll start to get aarp hearing aids,death benefit insurance, and other geriatric mail.
The only issue I have with the current generations growing up are the parents and how they are afraid of parenting, afraid to say no or give consequences and stick to them. other than that I believe these generations are no more, or no less than what our parents thought of our generations.

Happy Birthday to you!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Happy Birthday Freeborn and welcome to the club of the Re-born. 50+.
I am one and a half year your Elder by the way. And I don't mind it the least bit. Actually with the life I have had I feel empowered.
Traveled a lot with my job, learned at an early age to all ways challenge the status quo, thus change never deterred me from any thing really.
Still do all the physically challenging things I did as a youngster.
And what I find most important is to view every single day with wonder and all of life with awe and curiosity.
(All though humans bum me out at times)
And I could care the least bit if people agree with me or not.

Sorry this is your rant.
You are on spot. They, I will extend the age group to thirty plus, sorry guys
, and some of my piers wouldn't have lasted in my environment.
They are so habituated to comfort. To immediate gratification. Entitlement. No manners what so ever.

Oh wait I am also describing people my own age, we raised these monsters, I have no clue what happened.

And I am truly sorry that masculinity as you refer to has been demolished, our poor men and boys have lost their identity in the name of "feminism". Femenists, these hybrid males who's only distinguishable difference is a womb.
OOPS sorry now I am ranting.

Cheers Have ported the Isle's many time a lovely bunch. All ways welcoming.
Great rant.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join