It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reflections on turning 50.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Always liked The Jam, but not to the extent many of my friends did.
They were a bit too 'mainstream' for me.
But there in itself is a point - The Jam were so popular because so many people could relate to what they were singing about - they shared the experiences and the anger etc.
That seems to be lacking today.

There's a great documentary on The Jam called About The New Idea scheduled to be broadcast on Sky Arts I think.
It ties in with the exhibition of the same name currently on show in London - where else.
A few of my friends have been there and they reckon its really good.

Made me laugh when Cameron said Eton Rifles was one of his favourite songs and why do 'the left' have all the protest songs?
Absolute idiot, I suspect he's never actualy REALLY listened to it as it rails against everything he stands for.

Paul Weller was only 17 years old when he wrote Down In The Tube Station at Midnight.
Can you imagine a 17 year old having such insight today?

edit on 3/9/15 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: intrepid

Oh. And if you want to know what starts giving out in your 50's it's your bladder(at least 4 whizzes a night) and your mind. "What was I just thinking about?"

I think I reached that stage a year or two ago.
A piss a pint nowadays.....and I have quite a few pints!

My parents 'didn't understand me' because I wanted to question and challenge everything.....I don't understand 'kids today' because they DON'T want to challenge and question everything.

Sorry OP, I meant to say Happy birthday...the lady will grab your um, attention! hope this makes up

edit on 3-9-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Happy birthday from a 44 y/old one! I'll be there soon too

I would say is the TV + plus internet + political correctness + overly protective parents + sedentary life.
I remember as a child I was out since morning till evening, running, fighting, climbing trees and hills. Inside I was only reading and sleeping. Always dreamed about trying things, going places, discovering; I once jumped from the top of the roof with an umbrella, to my great luck, nothing broken but the umbrella. Nobody made a deal out of scratched knees or a bleeding nose.
Today's kids have no dreams, no aspirations; they have it all on TV or in their smartphones. Everything, even sex. The food is always in the fridge, the car waiting outside. Their only adventure seems to be a trip at the mall spending parents' money. They expect to be given everything when they want it as they want it.
Don't have me started. I have two grown boys and they seem a bit more like me; or maybe as a parent I am biased. But their friends....good god!

The problem is the more they have the unhappier they seem.

Oh well ...I did what I could to raise my boys aware of the things worth pursuing in life, and looking for happiness, not only sex and money. But there is only so much we as adults can do.
Is their world now, and they will have to live in it, or make it better.
edit on 3-9-2015 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I just posted David Cameron's (alleged) favourite song? Holy #
Please shoot me through the face if you ever meet me.

You know I work with teenagers, and it's weird because the angst, the rage and need to make it better is still there but they seem to have no confidence. Our mini rage against the machine (indy ref) was almost there, but not quite. There's also a strange phenomenon going on where it seems like parents want to be their children's friends - it's hard to rail against someone who agrees with you all the time.

I'm bringing mine up on a diet of the Pogues and Siouxsie, and the need to know why - of everything and everyone. We'll see how that turns out.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

There's also a strange phenomenon going on where it seems like parents want to be their children's friends - it's hard to rail against someone who agrees with you all the time.

My Dad is the man I respect most in this world and I really enjoy spending time with him.....obviously mainly in the pub or club!
We get on great....but we rarely agree on things.
Interestingly a few of the things we do tend to agree on nowadays are politics - he's become increasingly 'radicalised' as he's got older - and conspiracies!

I'm bringing mine up on a diet of the Pogues and Siouxsie, and the need to know why - of everything and everyone.

Great bands, seen them both live a couple of times.
By and large I brought my daughter up on a varied diet of The Clash, SLF, All things Punk and Oi, Trojan Ska, The Levellers, NMA, The Stone Roses and Trance music.

We'll see how that turns out.

I'm sure they'll do fine with such a caring and intelligent mother.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Some great posts by people and many relevant points.

I think there's a lot of truth in what both Cheddarhead and WhiteHat said. The world we live in is far too sanitised and sterile.

Political Correctness is the bane of western society and could well lead to its downfall.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

I just posted David Cameron's (alleged) favourite song? Holy #
Please shoot me through the face if you ever meet me.

I thought this was David Cameron's favourite song

Happy Birthday Freeborn, I have a ton of respect for you on these forums, I'm a silent admirer

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Happy Birthday mate. I'm not far behind you. Jeez where did the time go?

I know our paths on here only cross very occasionally but you always sound like a sound Northern bloke to me. I'm from the other side of the North myself.

I don't know what happened to the youth of today (in fact this seems inherent even in the early 30 somethings I know). They seem to only be interested in how they look, having a good time, and what inane message they can post on arsebook or twitface. But despite the world becoming so much smaller and information a lot easier to find it seems they live in a microcosm of their own little world of "look at me and what I had for tea" syndrome.. Most of them won't even join a union because it's a waste of money and ask their mum and dad who to vote for, if they can be bothered voting at all. Yeh! these are all sweeping generalisations I know. There are some good young people out there. But it feels like they are somewhat antiseptic and sterile in their outlook. If they even have an outlook.

What happened to all that youthful energy that was prevalent in the late 70s and perhaps died before the 20th century was out?

Beside the Jam , Clash etc with their anti-establishment position even the likes of the pop bands at the time were having a stab at political protest. The Human League recorded "Betrayed" a very anti-Tory song on one of their albums, Heaven 17 did "We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thang". There are probably a lot more I can't remember.

Even a decade later we still had Carter pumping it out in the early 90s and how they saw the future to come.

Where are the songs
About boozers and buildings
Banning the bomb
And abusing the children

Who'll one day be pop music stars
With their pop music guitars and they'll be singing
1, 2, 3, happy neighbourhood
Do, re, me, so far so good

Perhaps that latter half of the 20th century was a rarity, when young people really had influence, and things are back as they always were again?

Have a pint and enjoy your birthday.

edit on 3/9/15 by mirageman because: edit

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Happy Birthday FB!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Tee hee, that's his mantra. Git-lord that he is.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Happy Birthday, sir.
I will turn 51 soon, and I've come to a few realizations myself.
1. 50 year old women are very horny... Often
2. I am sick and tired of bull$hit, and very short with those who are purveyors of it.
3. Good luck getting a job... For numerous reasons (good time you start your own gig).
4. Being nearly bald is very convenient. I haven't bought shampoo for several years.
5. I appreciate my life, and all everything around me. My level of awareness and maturity has given me great insight into my needs, and those of others.
6. Youngsters don't intend to hurt your feelings, after you tell them you're 50, and they reply: "You don't look that old!"

Regarding today's youth: everything is messed up, and everyone is super-stressed. People think there's no future to excel and prosper. Many families are fractured, and the only role model most young people have is those seen on the street, or online videos.

No future..

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
It's easy.
Their parents told them they were special and gave them a trophy for showing up.

My mom routinely called me a dumb ass and my dad offed himself.

A trophy woulda been nice.

Certainly was never told I was special.

Just wanted to give you geezers some perspective.

Also genuinely curious where the 'everyone gets a trophy' myth started. Invest in trophies, it's a sure thing!

edit on 3-9-2015 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Happy Birthday to one of my Favorite ATS'ers since 2009 !!!

And I get to give you a Flag! (You are not so much into thread-making I see).

As for the RANT (coming from you who is always so calm).....

The millennia's are in their twenties now, correct? When I look back on those times, I see I am lucky to have survived them. I think I was a fearless, risk-taking, self-absorbed vain little brat. I was in school almost the entire decade, but still managed mayhem in my spare time. I shudder to think.

Let's just let them grow up Freeborn. They don't know, but we know, they are still just kids.

My best to you. Celebrate well my friend!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Your horoscope for tomorrow:

You normally excel when it comes to separating useful data from irrelevant information. However, pompous Jupiter can negatively influence your natural facility for wrapping up all the details today. Your thinking might grow sloppy if you're distracted by the plethora of possibilities in front of you now, especially if you concentrate on the overall generalities rather than the particulars. Keep your feet on the ground and use your common sense for the best possible outcome.

I don't put much stock into them either, but sometimes like to read them anyway. : )

I personally predict you will soon have a hangover.
edit on 9/3/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Congrats....been there and past. We have become our parents. What we knew they doubted with "wait til you get to our age...you'll see!" And here we are.....wondering what these kids think these days about everything just like them thinking we are nuts.

Its OK. You're fine...just gotta step back and to the side a little...like we and our own parents did.

Happy bday friend....

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Happy birthday, old man! I'll join you in a little over a decade.

originally posted by: intrepid
Oh. And if you want to know what starts giving out in your 50's it's your bladder

He's turning 50 as measured in years, not beers, Trep. Modern medicine has advanced to the point where the prostate can remain a healthy valve constrictor well into your 70s.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Today's kids scare the hell out of me! Unbelievably lazy, unmotivated, self-centered, inconsiderate, rude, clueless and incompetent! It's one of the main reasons I retired early from teaching! I Don't miss it one bit. I pity what teachers will be facing 10 years from now!

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
A product of times, if they have lived 20 or 30 years ago, they wouldnt be what they are today.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Happy birthday mate, half century, not bad.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join