It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be ashamed? Why, yes, yes we should.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I didn't vote for Obama either time.

I've been very outspoken about my reservations about the conduct of our foreign relations.

In retrospect, it's amazing how my views have changed over the past decade, or so...

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
where is the outrage over the 5,000 children that die everyday in africa from lack of water? I see alot of selective rage around.

Also.....has anyone already picked up on the numerous inconsistencies of this story? Just last year many were duped by a video purporting to show a syrian boy rescuing a girl amid gunfire.....it later turned out to be completely stage al la "Wag the dog" style.

The fact is this.....none of us were there....we didnt see it.....and its easy to stage or fake things to maximize a desired effect. In the case of the so called migrant crisis there is sufficient skepticism and pushback in the european community to warrant some damage control and new tactics by the orchestrators of this mess.....and this story nailed it.....they got exactly what they wanted......a flashpoint story designed for maximum emotion and minimal intellectual inquiry.

well done.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Well, if we want to stop these hordes of refuges and immigrants (who are clearly suffering)...

Maybe we should stop bombing the crap out of their countries and arming both sides of their religious wars?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

We should all be fighting to do just that several hours a week. It seems overwhelming but if you don't try then you've automatically failed.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ratsinacage

so because it's not in this thread it's being ignored?

If that's the case, start a thread about it. It's really easy to do.

Selective? Not hardly.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Cant remember who said it but i'll quote it.

If we can find Money to kill people we can find money to help people.

Never a shortage of Money when western democracy needs imposed on another nation.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The op is right

We're all guilty

The IN-human race

We murder our children

Send them off to kill each other

And instigate wars, starvation and oppression on each other

May God, whose guilty too, keep this baby in a safe world

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ratsinacage

i've been raging about that for years. it seems totally incomprehensible to me that there are people still going without food, water, shelter and medicine, on this planet. i find it profoundly disturbing. we just need to install an anarchist government, remove the need for money, have 3 laws of ethics and that's it. inject free energy, have robots do the jobs we don't want to and over night, the world would be rich, well fed, and on their way to being healed. but because there are those that feel they must must must have power over people, the system continues

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Other than this post, what have you done personally to aid those refugees? Have you sent aid money? Do you harbor refugees? What exactly have you done yourself?

I haven't done much of anything myself to be honest, but I was EXTREMELY vocal and sent several emails when the whole "crossing the red line with chemical weapons" ordeal was ongoing. I also spread the word as much as I could, and I know I influenced several others to message their local government officials condemning a war in Syria.

Plain and simple there is not much we can do as individuals. I feel for those people, I truly do. The decisions for aid rely solely upon government officials, not us individuals.

Also, what is your suggestion for solution? Whether you like to believe it or not, most of those refugees believe a very jaded version of their religion. All or none, no in between. they may not be the radical ones that will resort to violence, but their belief is set, it will not likely change. They will pass down stories NOT of how the countries that took them in saved their lives, but of how ALLAH saved their lives. They will not see the new home as a blessing to be grateful for, but a place to spread their religious word like an infection. That is about all those in the countries they flee have ever known. Religion Religion Religion. I have no issues with any religious people, but keep it to your damn self.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Other than this post, what have you done personally to aid those refugees? Have you sent aid money? Do you harbor refugees? What exactly have you done yourself?

I haven't done much of anything myself to be honest, but I was EXTREMELY vocal and sent several emails when the whole "crossing the red line with chemical weapons" ordeal was ongoing. I also spread the word as much as I could, and I know I influenced several others to message their local government officials condemning a war in Syria.

Plain and simple there is not much we can do as individuals. I feel for those people, I truly do. The decisions for aid rely solely upon government officials, not us individuals.

Also, what is your suggestion for solution? Whether you like to believe it or not, most of those refugees believe a very jaded version of their religion. All or none, no in between. they may not be the radical ones that will resort to violence, but their belief is set, it will not likely change. They will pass down stories NOT of how the countries that took them in saved their lives, but of how ALLAH saved their lives. They will not see the new home as a blessing to be grateful for, but a place to spread their religious word like an infection. That is about all those in the countries they flee have ever known. Religion Religion Religion. I have no issues with any religious people, but keep it to your damn self.

We could and should all start by contacting our MP, Congressman/woman. That's what we vote them in for. They either listen or they can jog the # on at the next election.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

As I've said a time or two in this thread, I do what I can, when I can.

I help in my neighborhood.

Habitat for humanity receives not only money from me, but my time, as well.

My local homeless shelter/soup kitchen has received both, as well.

Reading programs for both adults and children. Tutoring in various subjects, as well.

I give rides to veterans who can't/don't drive, so they can get needed medical treatments.

Shall I go on? There's not much I can do for someone on the other side of the world, but what I can do, I do.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

While I don't financially support any of those organizations, I have randomly volunteered at shelters myself as well. That is at home though. More than the food, the people I have volunteered with appreciated my time of listening to their story to be honest, and loving an actual conversation with someone not condemning them for their status.

But, that is at home. We have our own issues as well. We are not the societies portrayed on TV. We are not all rich. How do we honestly help those from other lands when we struggle to support our own from our lands?

Saddest part of volunteering at a soup kitchen? Most volunteers are there for their court ordered community service, not a genuine wanting to help others.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I like the sentiment, but that rarely works. Politics in western countries are simply too much of a "burden" for most to care about. Sad but simple fact.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

As for a solution?

The only ones I can come up with involve blood. Those countries in danger of, or already have, failing need to be salvaged. That, most unfortunately, will involve further bloodshed, unless someone outthere has a solution that doesn't?

Ignoring it won't work. The same ol', same ol', won't work, obviously.

First, we must change our govts. attitudes. Bombing 'em. Coercion by political means, both covert, and overt need to stop. That's our first job. ...and it'll go a long ways towards settling things down.

Second? ...and this is where the blood will spill. Those who would keep power by the sword must be stopped, by the sword if necessary. Or that one's who would take it by the sword must be stopped.

Three? Let the people of these nations chart their own course. If that means thanking a "jaded version of their religion"? so be it. That's their choice. Given a chance? 99% of them will keep it in their homes/mosques/churches/synagogues.

All of these, if you want to call 'em solutions, feel free, ideas will take a generation or more to accomplish. I don't even know if they're workable. Certainly they're better than doing nothing...
edit on 9/3/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I remember we went to FEED some people ,then we tried to stop the asshole stealing the food from them ...THEN we got a BLACKHAWK shot down and troops killed.
BECAUSE a MORON didn't want it LOOK like more of a stronger military effort..
YOU go there and try now.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Too true.

Honestly enough, my first exposure to a soup kitchen was for course credit...though I suspect the "evil" prof thought something might klick in my little ol' head and heart. It did. I found I actually enjoyed helping. ...and the listening.

If we all do what we can? The world will change. All is the operative word, though.

In helping these folks, I derive a great deal of personal satisfaction, and accomplishment. Helping a sixty plus year old man to read? Helping a family move into a home I helped build? Nothing quite like it.

Internationally? I'm very careful where my money goes. Since I don't have enough frequent flier miles to get anywhere close by, much less clear across the world...money is all I've got to help with. That, and prayer.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Regarding military intervention, I honestly think we should go in boots on the ground D-Day style, OR leave completely. You are completely correct in that the bombings do not work. Hands on or hands off imo. That still leaves crisis over there, but at least its not trying to put out a forest fire by dropping napalm.

I do think about it, and the real problem is other than intense military intervention I don't see any resolution as well.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Acceptable ATS???

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Between 5000 and 8000 is simply laughable, The US can and should do a lot more than that.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The feeling after a day of talking with the less fortunate is indeed priceless. It's hard to smile after one for me to be honest though. I smile, but I also think about those I touched that day, and the fact their situation continues after I leave, and that makes me sad.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join