It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be ashamed? Why, yes, yes we should.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Burmingham issues?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Burmingham issues?
???

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Yeah THE ARAB nations are doing WONDERES for this situation..www.washingtonpost.com... es/

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: grainofsandwww.bnp.org.uk...
Sorry, the BNP is not my cup of tea and less than 2000 people voted for them at the last national UK election. Lol.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

So you are speaking of the page not the story ..meaning it's false?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Have you checked out the news feeds of every broadcaster showing the people rolling into Germany off the trains?
Maybe 20% women and children, but lines and lines of single males of fighting age.
I imagine the MSM reporters are struggling to find heartbreak kids stories because every one they film is close up I suspect in an attempt to hide how the overwhelming majority of people are single males.

To me it looks like the tragic death of that child clouded the sensible thoughts of most folk, and I guess it remains to be seen what happens to Germany now.
I'm glad the UK still has a border.

There are plenty of possible legit reasons for what you see there. Perhaps the men are making the gruelling, dangerous and sometimes costly journey to Europe alone so that they can be joined by their family if and when they reach safety. Or perhaps it's the fact that once he is an adult he will likely be shot or kidnapped if he refuses to fight in the army. To kill/be killed or to leave?

www.mercycorps.org.uk...

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

Oh so the men will just leave the women and children to their own devices...not very caring of them" And they have reached a safe country once they have arrived in Turkey, Hungary etc, but they want more.

As for young men fighting for their country, that is what they should be doing, just like my father and my grandfather did 70 - 100 years ago, millions of young men died in both world wars to ensure their country's freedom. Why can't these young men do the same? And as for having the choice, the young men who died in the 1st and 2nd world wars didn't have the choice but mostly they all gladly served for their country.

And having just seen this picture of a group of young men using a selfie stick to take a group picture on the beach after arriving on Kos, I am speechless

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100
I'm not that naive,OF course it's a trojan horse,that's their MO.
ALL the intel pukes know it.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: destination now
How dare those young men make peace signs and use modern technology! I'm outraged!

Perhaps this will give you some perspective and empathy?

I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Why are you speechless?

I see a group of young men, probably grateful they're not being conscripted upon pain of death, into whichever sides army catches 'em.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

Okay so what is your answer...bomb the feck out of Syria or just say oh well just let ISIS take it over and we will rehome everyone who doesn't want to live there? I have at no point said we shouldn't take refugees, but we cannot take them all, we cannot support those numbers, not just the UK but many other poorer Eastern European countries, who have their own problems with poverty, unemployment, homelessness etc and sadly it is the case that there are hordes of young men, who should be fighting for their own country, who are instead pushing and shoving their way onto trains ahead of the women and children and even throwing water and food back at Hungarian officials because they don't want to stay in the safety of the refugee camp there, but want to be transported to Germany.

What's wrong with the first safe country? that is why those children died, Turkey, a safe country, where they had been living for sometime was not good enough and they wanted to get to a wealthy European country that would house them and give them a better financial outcome...nothing wrong with that, but it is not my fault they made that decision and paid a lot of money to smugglers and boarded an overcrowded dinghy in the middle of the night. That family applied for asylum in Canada and were refused, so if anyone should be ashamed it's the Canadian govt, not me.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Why are you speechless?

I see a group of young men, probably grateful they're not being conscripted upon pain of death, into whichever sides army catches 'em.

And if that had been the attitude of Europeans in 1939-1945 we'd all be living in the third reich, jackbooting our way over human rights, with homsexuals, jews, disabled, black and everyone else who didn't fit the Aryan stereotype, or who disagreed with it dispatched to the gas chambers and concentration camps.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Jewish Communist? Really? Surely you can come up with a more unique insult for her than that?

Why not just call her a poopy-head, and have done with it.

So the truth is an insult? LMAO!!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
An insult...?

Why yes, yes it was... Or so you obviously thought, or you wouldn't have used it in the context you did.

Who even cares that she was? I certainly don't. It's a lovely poem.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Who even cares that she was? I certainly don't.

And your single example of blatant apathy and willful ignorance multiplied by millions is EXACTLY why the world is in this dysfunctional state. Now you can reap the whirlwind.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Did you know the dead little Muslim boy on the beach’s father was actually the driver of the boat that capsized and a filthy human trafficker?
An Iraqi woman on board the boat, who lost two of her children, made the allegations from Iraq early Friday morning. It was alleged they had paid US$10,000 for the trip. Zainab Abbas, via her Sydney based cousin Lara Tahseen, told 10 News the boy’s father was driving the boat. “He was a smuggler, yes, he was the one driving the boat,’’ she told Network 10.

ISIS might have unknowingly increase the Muslim population in Europe. Not really a loss for the unseen force behind all the mess.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: everyonedies

How does this change the problem. I'd really like to know.

That little boy is still dead, needlessly. There are thousands of others just like him elsewhere in the world.

So because this father is accused of being a reprehensible human being, the problem suddenly becomes lessened? How?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The New Colossus
BY EMMA LAZARUS
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

The New Colossus

I'm sure by now most have seen the pictures, those heart breaking, gut tearing, eye-searing pictures of the dead little boy washed up on the shores of Turkey. Drowned along with his brother and mother trying to escape the insanity that is Syria.

His father is the only one left of that family. How many others have died, will die, unremarked in those waters? Or in the desert south of my own country?

These are the people Emma Lazarus spoke so eloquently of. The homeless. The tempest-tossed. Meanwhile we sit here in comfort telling them, in words and action there's no room at the inn. We're full up. Not to put too fine a point on it, but bullshit. These people don't want a fifty room mansion with a view of the ocean, they want a roof, a couple of meals, more than that they do not ask for, other than it be safe.

Is this too much to ask for? Us with our multiple TV's. Our multiple cars? Our refrigerators stuffed, or even overstuffed with food? Are we so insular, so full of ourselves that we can't spare a little room for Aylan Kurdi, his brother, his mother, his father? All they ever wanted was to be safe. Well I guess he is, assuming for the moment that there is a loving God outthere somewhere in the Universe.

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

It's time we remembered these words, or maybe re-learned them... Many of our families, especially here in the U.S., were once the huddled masses, the wretched refuse, the homeless and tempest-tossed. Relearned them and maybe live them. We should, and can if we choose to, help them.

All they want is safety. How many more little Aylan Kurdi's will there be before we remember, assuming we ever knew, that we are, and always have been, our brothers keeper? We have failed so many of our brothers/sisters, Aylan is only the most public. How many others have we failed? Left in the hands of merciless bandits who kill them without consequence, steal their treasure without consequence...place them is conditions we would never tolerate for ourselves, again, without consequence.

Is our self righteous proof against even...

*image link removed. doesn't really need to be here.*

It's madness to allow this to be taking place in Syria. In Mexico. Africa. Anywhere, at all.

Are we so enamored of ourselves that we've forgotten that there are others that need our help? Are screaming for it? What matters their ethnicity? The name they call God?

Spare me the excuses. For that's all they are. Excuses. There are ways to help these people, we just have to be willing to find them, and the heart and soul to carry them out.

Unless you have a yearning for more images like the one above. For surely as the sun will rise tomorrow, it'll rise over yet another scene just like that one.

As a final note: As an American, I'm reluctant to cast stones about the behaviour of other govts... But PM Harper needs to, along with his sycophants in the cabinet, be punched right between the eyes. I've always admired Canadians, still do, the govt. not so much, especially today. How nice of them to offer the father a place after his kids, and wife, are dead. I'd have told 'em to f-off, too.

...and yes, my govt. is no better, so don't bother going there.

Ah, yes, almost forgot... Isn't this why the U.N. was created? To help solve, or ever prevent, this sort of humanitarian crisis? Well done, to General Secretary Ban Ki-Moon and the rest of the mouth-breathing idiots of the U.N. Useless, the lot of you.

Remember this: There but for the grace of God, go I. Or, as with the wheel, what's on top today, can be on the bottom tomorrow.

The Statue had nothing to do with immigration. It was about freedom. The French honored us with the Statue to celebrate the friendship between our countries. We were the first nation ever to make the rulers of their country aware that freedom and liberty was possible. The sonnet, "The New Colossus", engraved at the base, was written by the Jewish poet Emma Lazarus as part of a fund raising campaign. She wrote as a way of honoring those Jews suffering from anti-semitism who wanted to flee from their host countries. The original manuscript is held by the American Jewish Historical Society. The sonnet played no significant part in the celebration of the opening of the statue in 1883 and was all but forgotten. 20 years later the text of the poem was put on the inner wall of the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty. And that's how the poem ended up on a Statue that was specifically created to honor freedom and originally inscribed only with the adoption date of the Declaration of Independence (JULY IV MDCCLXXVI). And that's why we call it the Statue of Liberty and not the Statue of Immigration.

Today the true story of the Statue of Liberty is disingenuously used for political purposes to paint a gauzy picture of those happy times when we weren't so picky about who was allowed to immigrate to our country. In fact it was just the opposite, the US had (like the rest of the world had, and still has) a merit based immigration policy. Potential immigrants had to stop on the island and pass a rigorous inspection before being allowed to set foot on the mainland. If you didn't have enough money with you, if you had no job skills, or if you had a criminal record, you were rejected. If you passed that phase you were sent to the medical inspection line and uniformed military surgeons quickly culled out those with minor medical conditions. Even a case of glaucoma could cause you to be rejected. The doctors would observe the immigrants as they climbed the stairs leaving the baggage area. If you had difficulty with those stairs, that could cause you to be rejected. Ellis Island was sometimes known as "The Island of Tears" or "Heartbreak Island" because of the immigrants that were turned away.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join