It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grieving Mama Bear Finally Leaves Tree After Cubs Shot To Death

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is sad. a family in Evergreen Colo. woke up to 3 bears( a mama and 2 cubs) going through their trash. The man fired 2 rubber buckshot bullets to scare them off.

The guys dog then gets loose and starts to fight with the mama bear, so he says he fired one live round hitting both cubs, killing one immediately and injuring the other one so bad he had to be put down..

The mama bear then fled into a tree across the street and stayed there all day grieving her cubs. All the guys neighbors are pissed and he is facing several charges.

He should have just let them go about digging in his trash and move along on their own accord.

If his dog really got into a fight with mama bear though then what choice does he have but to shoot? But why would he shoot the cubs and not mama?

denver.cbslocal.com...

EVERGREEN, Colo. (CBS4) – An Evergreen man is facing several charges after shooting at a mother bear and her two cubs, killing the cubs. After the cubs were shot the mother bear spent all day Tuesday in a nearby tree.
The man, who hasn’t been identified, shot at the bears early Tuesday morning in the 27000 block of Lupine Drive. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office said they received a call about 5:15 a.m. that a man had shot at the bears.
The homeowner and his family were awakened by three bears, a mother bear and two cubs, going through their trash outside. The man fired two rubber buckshot rounds at the bears to scare them off.

edit on 3-9-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Wow how sad

Kinda torn about the guy, ya the simple answer would be to just let them rummage.
But the rubber bullets doesn't sound like a horrible solution either.
Obviously when the dog enters the picture things change, but isn't that kinda on him?

The final bullet also went through a neighbor’s window.

I think this is the part that has him in hot water though.

Also wonder how the cubs are the ones that got hit if he was shooting at mama.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
yous live in a diffrent world from us in respect to that kinda scenraio ..

no bears here .. thank god .. or guns .. even more thanks

ETA - I say yous ... assuming yous, live in america ... but i spose you could be just down the road from me for all i know
edit on 3-9-2015 by Segenam because: editing is a great way to pass the time ...

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Segenam
yous live in a diffrent world from us in respect to that kinda scenraio ..

no bears here .. thank god .. or guns .. even more thanks

ETA - I say yous ... assuming yous, live in america ... but i spose you could be just down the road from me for all i know

What?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
How sad. Even sadder is that he sent a dog after the bear. I'd never send a single dog after a friggin bear. A mother bear with babies, no less. What, did this asshole want his dog to die?

Seriously, there were much more sensible, safer things this guy could have done. You know, like call, oh, say, Animal Control, The Police, or whatever local agency handles this stuff. He could have kept himself, his dog, and family safely inside while the experts handled this bear situation.

I could understand if the bears were outside actually attacking people, pets or livestock, and he shot them to protect others. But the bears were just being a nuisance, not a threat. Digging through trash is not really a good enough reason to shoot an animal, especially when there are other options available and the bear isn't really threatening anyone.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
They sell these plastic container thingies where you can put your trash barrels. The top opens where you can put your garbage in your trash barrel and it has two doors in the front you can open easily when you take your barrels out. No animals can get to your trash.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What an A-hole, all he had to do was call animal control or the basic 911 number. Then the Bears probably would have been sedated and relocated into the wild elsewhere. How sad.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Bear sausage is good

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The homeowner, Daniel C. Williams, 50, is being charged with:

Illegal discharge of a firearm (felony)
Aggravated cruelty to animals (felony)
Shooting from a public road (misdemeanor)
Illegal possession of wildlife (misdemeanor) - 2 counts
Black bear hunting out of season (misdemeanor) - 3 counts

Williams will not be arrested, but he will be issued a court summons.

If convicted of the felony counts, Williams could potentially face up to 4.5 years in prison, according to the District Attorney's Office. Each of the misdemeanor counts carries a potential county jail sentence and significant fines.

www.thedenverchannel.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Should of at least ate them

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

While it may not be practical for everyone, my solution is that I don't put my trash out at night. I live in the woods. If not bear, there are far too many other critters that favor the late night snack, which I prefer to keep a fair distance from my home on a regular basis.

I am always awake before sunrise, so it is no big deal for me to take my trash down to the gate before they come for pick-up. Add to that the warning alarms that let me know they are on their way. Sound travels quite a distance in the woods. You can hear those trucks when they are 5 miles away. The dogs in the area like to put a fuss anytime they hear any vehicle along the way that is not a community vehicle, and they let you know when a stranger is coming to visit. Or if a neighbor has bought a new vehicle.

I try to be a good neighbor to both my human neighbors and to the local critters. Rule for the critters - as long as they stay away from my house, including porches and pads, they get a free pass, to move on unmolested. There is no free pass or warning for attempted uninvited entry to my home for any varmint or critters, four legged or two.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

How do you not get arrested with 2 felony charges?

Shoot a bullet through your neighbors window, no problem, see ya in court.

Have a substance we deem you should not, get ready for a long night in a cell.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Just fire a round in the air, and the bears will run away. No need to shoot them.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Maybe he should have kept the dog restrained and just let it bark away. On the face of it, it does sound a bit half-cocked, why did he not shoot the rubber stuff at the mother, once she blew the cubs would not have hung around.
I guess by now we'll not hear the true event anyway. Yes, it is sad.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sounds like another case of man not willing to live with nature.

Congrats to NightSkyeB4Dawn for actually living with nature.

When you live in a rural area you live rural not city.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
AssHat needs time in teh slammer....
Folks like him need not to have guns or dogs...period.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
Just fire a round in the air, and the bears will run away. No need to shoot them.

Yeah so it can come down and kill someone

God I hope you don't own guns

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

what a piece of s##t. he should have let them be. probably 'sicked' fido on them.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wow.

1. The home owner would be charged here in Alaska for having his trash outside, creating an attractive nuisance for wildlife.
2. Dogs are commonly owned for and used in defending people from bears and moose here in AK. A lot of us call small, yappy dogs "bear bait" for good reason.
3. Know your target AND beyond before you pull the trigger, man!
4. The sow wasn't "grieving," she was seeking defensible shelter in the tree and trying to tree her cubs as well. Sows frequently shoo their cubs up a tree and often will advance the tree ahead of them, "cooing" at the cubs to get them to follow. Black bears, including adults, can sit in a tree for a long time. This can be from fear, curiosity, comfort, or just because they're in the mood to climb a tree. Application of human emotions to animals such as sadness, grieving, or even joy is entirely misplaced.
5. "Calling animal control" is usually a pointless endeavor if you live abutted to the woods. By the time they get there, the bears would have likely moved on BUT that bear family will always associate that yard with an easy meal and will absolutely return, becoming nuisance bears. Nuisance bears quickly become dangerous bears when they show up expecting another easy meal of trashed leftovers and kitchen waste and find no garbage can out... this is when they do wonderful things like pry open the house door, go after fluffy the family pet, or make a quick meal out of Junior playing in the back yard.

As I said, the homeowner should be charged with improper handling of garbage and unsafe discharge of a firearm in a residential area for the bullet leaving his property line, but the actual act of shooting the bears shouldn't bring any charges UNLESS Colorado mandates those charges be tacked on due to him creating an attractive nuisance, in which case the charge will likely be along the lines of shooting bears over a makeshift bait station.

6. Yes, bear sausage is good, damned good.
So are bear backstraps, especially when they've been getting fat off of berries.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Common sense living right there. I salute you!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join