It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Found in Contempt of Court - Jail

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
She took a job with one set of rules and the rules were changed. She decided not to. She should have been fired for her religious beliefs. I guess no one had the guts to do that...so she was put in jail. Think about that. No one had the guts to tell her that she was fired BECAUSE OF HER RELIGIOUS BELIEFS. So they put her in jail.

You don't see any problem there I guess??? Amazing. And by the way...I don't believe in God and am not religious. Just pointing out something that was wrong.

This is a complete misrepresentation of the entire situation. Government sanctioned marriages cannot be discriminatory, which means she needs to provide marriage certificates to all who ask. This is completely separate from her faith, where her church issues their own marriages. She is free to practice marriage in whatever way she sees fit. She was already providing marriage certificates to couples that her church didn't recognize as married, so she has no justification to claim religious grounds here and even if she did it's on her to resign because she can no longer perform those job duties. She doesn't get to dictate government policy based on her beliefs.

The reason she is in jail is because a judge ordered her to start providing the marriage licenses and she refused. That places her in contempt of court. The reason why she refused is completely irrelevant, she wasn't jailed for being a devout Christian, she was jailed for disobeying a court order.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Knowing she couldn't do her job, why didn't she just resign? Hmmm? I know if I had a job that required me to do something I didn't want to, I would just quit. Why didn't she just quit? Because she wanted to control what happened in her county. That's a little different than just not wanting to do something against her religion. She thought she could rule over her county and stop same sex marriage there. That was her goal. Queen Kim Davis - ruler of her Kentucky county.

Since she has to be impeached and not just fired, she thought that because impeachment proceedings typically take so long, that she she could continue to stop same sex marriage in her county in the meantime. Nice try, but the judge was on to her, hence the jail sentence. Sorry, her county is not a theocracy, she doesn't get to rule over it. She doesn't get to decide that same sex marriage licenses aren't gonna happen in her county.

She took a job with one set of rules and the rules were changed. She decided not to. She should have been fired for her religious beliefs. I guess no one had the guts to do that...so she was put in jail. Think about that. No one had the guts to tell her that she was fired BECAUSE OF HER RELIGIOUS BELIEFS. So they put her in jail.

You don't see any problem there I guess??? Amazing. And by the way...I don't believe in God and am not religious. Just pointing out something that was wrong.

She has been in the job for 27 years, I am sure more than 1 thing has changed in that time. She has no rights to force her religious beliefs upon anyone (except her minor children), and regardless she is required to do her job. She was also refusing marriage licenses to traditional couples, and had demanded her deputies do the same. She was violating the rights of others.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Hmmm

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

You may feel the same way, but your interpretation of the law and how government works would be wrong.

She can stand up for her beliefs, but if she doesn't want jail time then she cannot block access to something that the public has a legal right to obtain, whether it be guns or marriage licences. She was infringing on the legal rights of others and using her elected position to do it, which is just plain wrong.

Your feelings may be strong, but they are not in harmony with how the rule of law works.

edit on 4-9-2015 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Fine circular logic there, she disobeyed the court, but why?

Because she's claiming she's not able to do it as a Christian. Therefore she's not doing it as a Christian? That makes perfect sense as the judge jailed her for not issuing marriage licenses as I guess an Animist or Hindu or Islamist believer.

Maybe she just stubborn and that's the reason.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Ahh yes government sanctioned, but which? Federal or The state of Tennessee, that's the crux of the matter.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I find that it is sad and somewhat amazing that so many people do not understand how state and federal government works especially pertaining to laws.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

Fine circular logic there, she disobeyed the court, but why?

Because she's claiming she's not able to do it as a Christian. Therefore she's not doing it as a Christian? That makes perfect sense as the judge jailed her for not issuing marriage licenses as I guess an Animist or Hindu or Islamist believer.

Maybe she just stubborn and that's the reason.

Seriously, you really want to believe that, she was jailed, just as you or I would be for defying a federal judge. Short, sweet, and simple.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I find that it is sad and somewhat amazing that so many people do not understand how state and federal government works especially pertaining to laws.

I agree, and made the comment earlier in the thread, concerning hated, and ignorance of the constitution, government, and basic civics. I have been here for several years, and have always expected better of ATS.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Ahh yes government sanctioned, but which? Federal or The state of Tennessee, that's the crux of the matter.

You do realize that his has nothing to do with the state of Tennessee?
edit on 9/4/2015 by BubbaJoe because: because I cannot type

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Yes, Federal Judges have all the power seemingly and that's the rub for me when this really is a states right issue or first amendment right issue.

The judge is out of bounds here.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

No matter how many times you insist that it is a states right issue or first amendment issue it will not make it true.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

Its Tennessee law the federal government is overriding in federal judges ruling is it not, I don't think Tennessee is a Gay marriage state by legislative vote do you?

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Yes, Federal Judges have all the power seemingly and that's the rub for me when this really is a states right issue or first amendment right issue.

The judge is out of bounds here.

This has nothing to do with the first amendment, it is all about the 14th, and she violated a federal ruling. I suppose you would support this same clerk denying marriage licenses to inter-racial couples, same rules apply for both rulings.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

When the pendulum swings it will swing hard, keep believing the states will not come back on this subject due its other possible abuses and I'll eat crow.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Most people only get half a year of classes on US government in school. It's really not that surprising. I think US government was a semester long class, maybe it's a year at the most...but that's about it.

Unless you seek out additional education, they really only cover the bare bones. Pretty sad.

link   

Nope, man and a woman.

link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

Its Tennessee law the federal government is overriding in federal judges ruling is it not, I don't think Tennessee is a Gay marriage state by legislative vote do you?

Actually this case is from the state of Kentucky, and the Kentucky legislature passed a law defining marriage as being between a man and a woman, the Supreme Court of the Unites States says that this law violates the US Constitution, there for the law is null and void, this woman was ordered by a federal judge and her own governor and she refused, rightfully so, her behind is sitting in jail.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

When the pendulum swings it will swing hard, keep believing the states will not come back on this subject due its other possible abuses and I'll eat crow.

Bigots swang that pendulum in 1861, didn't work out so well for them then.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Still holding onto civil war thought process I guess.

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join