It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Found in Contempt of Court - Jail

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rebelv

The judge doesn't need any other charge than contempt of court. Tell a judge off and you get contempt of court. Outburst in court, contempt of court. Disagree with a judge, contempt of court. It gets even worse when you're already an inmate. Speak to a judge wrong, contempt of court. Look at a judge wrong, contempt of court.

The simple fact of the matter is that judges have way too much power and this is another case of a judge who abused their power. This should have been kicked back to the Ky legislature.

Edit: I'm sure if some judge somewhere were able to, they'd hold me in contempt of court for this post.

edit on 9/3/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/3/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Volund

A) Quite a stretch to compare this to Jews in Nazi Germany.

B) Yeah, the law changed. Laws change all the time. So she can follow the new law or she can RESIGN. She doesn't have a constitutional right to hold a job she doesn't want to do.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

she wouldn't let them do it since, well her name and position is on the license, or at least that is my understanding.
the judge brought her back in today to see if that was acceptable to her and she said no not unless her name was removed.
or something like that.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Did I miss something? Why didn't they just fire her from her job the first time she refused to issue marriage licenses? The last time I checked, if you refuse to do your job duties, that's grounds for dismissal!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Her job is to follow the law not her beliefs. It doesn't matter if they changed yesterday she is supposed to still follow them so your point isn't valid.

Don't even try and say that she didn't see the change coming either. It's only been front page news for a year or more that it could change.

Her beliefs don't matter. She agreed to do the job according to the law. That is the law. She's not upholding her duties. Period. End of story.

If she wants a job that follows her beliefs then she should go work at a church.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Did I miss something? Why didn't they just fire her from her job the first time she refused to issue marriage licenses? The last time I checked, if you refuse to do your job duties, that's grounds for dismissal!

You cannot fire an elected official. The state legislature has to convene and vote for their dismissal.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

No. If the jackboot fits I'll call it like I see it.

I am glad you think jail is overkill. People that demand people get thrown in jail for breaking the law while they break it themselves seems to be the norm here in this country ATM, especially when they don't even live in that jurisdiction.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Yes, you missed something. She is an elected official and it would be a long and drawn out process to remove her.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace
the legislator that won't be in session till january??
so, all the people in that country should just tolerate having to drive, or heck maybe walk who knows, to the next country office to get a marriage license till then? the nearest country office outside the one we were in when I lived in NY was over 50 miles away...
that's a two hour drive, and close to a full tank of gas.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
While I agree with the decision, this "feels" like another manufactured spectacle... along the links of the bakery shop that wouldn't make a wedding cake.

Marriage Licenses Frequently Asked Questions

The parties may go to any county in Kentucky to get a marriage license as long as both are 18 years of age or older. Marriage licenses may be used in any Kentucky county and cannot be used anywhere but in Kentucky. Both must be present to obtain a license.

Why didn't the couples just avoid the stress and get their license in another county? If marriage is the intended goal, and these things have a time limit, they should just go to the next county.
edit on 3-9-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I've said twice in the last two pages, that if Steve Bashear had held a special session, this all would be a non issue. But he wanted to make an example of her to the other county clerks who were holding reservations about issuing the licenses.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Volund
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

No. If the jackboot fits I'll call it like I see it.

Then I call Godwin's Law.
As the boot appears to fit.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

maybe they don't have a car, maybe they don't want to take the extra time off work that would be required to, maybe they just feel that they pay their taxes to this country because they live there and therefore think that they should get the services they paid for.
and shouldn't the counties that are getting socked with their residents because of this be compensated in some way for making up for this county's neglect?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

Why didn't the couples just avoid the stress and get their license in another county? If marriage is the intended goal, and these things have a time limit, they should just go to the next county.

I saw an interview with one of the men applying for a license. He felt that having to go to another county made him feel like a second class citizen; that he lived in that county for years; paid taxes in that county and that if one clerk was allowed to get away with this it would "trickle down" to the point where many other officials would be denying legal rights to gays.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

ya, another hard headed fool willing to overlook the best interests of his constituents to further his agenda... or at least I believe that is you take on it..

the problem is that on both sides common sense has been overrun by their hard headedness and well the taxpayers end up being the ones harmed the most.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Because they don't have to go to another county. They've done everything correctly and legally.

Personally I'm glad they are making a stand. This Religious Freedom BS is out of control. It's not about Religious Freedom but the Freedom of the Religious to Oppress others. That needs to stop which means someone has to stop it. Going to another county is just allowing for her to break the law.

Why doesn't this woman simply do her job???

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

No different than furthering the agenda being sent out to Christians to say that their religion will not be tolerated.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

Because it's also about Equal Rights.

By law, the highest court in the land, they have the right to be married in their own county.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Sorry to bud in, but could stop using nazy references, you have been answered nicely a few times already but you persist in trying to use the nazy card to prove whatever point it is your implying.

I personally think its overkill to jail the lady.

So keeping in mind that she can't be fired, or replaced without an act of (state) congress. What do you find is the appropriate action? She violated a direct order from the judge, an order from the governor, and her actions are in opposition to the Constitution, the most supreme law in the country.

Jail until she complies is 100% appropriate.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
And as for myself, if I was being denied my legal rights by an elected official the hell if I'm going to drive forty five minutes to another county. I don't care if it was a fishing license or how long it took. It's the principle of the thing.

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join