It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Beret Who Stopped Child's Rape Faces Army Discharge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This man should get another medal not be booted out of the Army. Has it really come to the point where US soldiers are supposed to stand by, watch and do nothing as civilians are tortured and raped and turn away mothers begging for help?

This is NOT the same US Army I was in years ago.

Green Beret Who Beat Afghan Man Over Child's Rape Faces Army Discharge
www.military.com...

A Green Beret and his allies say the fact that he "stood up to a child rapist" while serving in Afghanistan with an elite Joint Base Lewis-McChord unit shouldn't be grounds for kicking him out of the Army.

Sgt. 1st Class Charles Martland says he beat up an Afghan police commander he was supposed to be mentoring because he was fed up with the commander's "brutal" sexual abuse of a village boy.

In 2011, Martland was nearing the end of his yearlong deployment in northern Afghanistan's Kunduz province when he and an officer became outraged with the behavior of some local leaders they were responsible for developing as police commanders.

Martland and his detachment commander, Capt. Daniel Quinn, lost their tempers when one leader near their base kidnapped a boy for more than a week, chained him to a bed, raped the child and then assaulted the boy's mother, Quinn said

The mother appealed to the Green Berets to help her son. Quinn said the soldiers brought the Afghan commander to their base and confronted him.

Quinn told The News Tribune that the Afghan admitted he had raped the boy. He angered the American soldiers by showing disregard for their concerns.

"He started laughing when we talked about what a big deal this was," Quinn said.

But Quinn said that he and Martland shoved the Afghan to the ground several times. They told the Afghan commander to leave their compound, and Quinn said he was able to run away from the soldiers on his own.

Martland wrote in a January letter to the Army Human Resources Command that the incident was the third time during his deployment that he knew an Afghan police commander had done something morally repugnant.

The other two incidents were a police commander's rape of a teenage girl and another commander's decision to allow the honor killing of a 12-year-old girl after she kissed a boy.

Quinn and Martland "felt that morally we could no longer stand by and allow our (Afghan local police) to commit atrocities,"

Now Martland's case is being championed by a California congressman and several veteran Green Berets who contend he shouldn't be punished further.

Martland, 33, was awarded two Bronze Star medals, including one for valor, during his time at JBLM. He likely will be discharged in November because the discipline handed to him for assaulting the Afghan made him a target for Army downsizing. Veteran soldiers with negative performance reviews in their service records are being culled from the ranks as part of the post-Iraq War drawdown.

www.kirotv.com...
www.thenewstribune.com...
edit on 3-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Wow that story made my stomach turn. Obviously I side with the Service member and feel those police commanders deserve a lot more than a beating. Maybe castration?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

conservative-daily.com...

Just so we’re on the same page, the “custom” Martland is accused of “not tolerating” is the local police chief’s decision to kidnap a 12-year-old boy, chain him to a bed, and rape him for a whole week.

Then, when the mother complained, the police chief savagely beat her.

Put yourself in Sgt. Martland’s shoes. Imagine that a beaten and bruised mother came to you and asked you to stop the local police officer from kidnapping and raping her son.

Then imagine that when you confronted the accused rapist, he admitted everything and dared you to do something about it, laughing in your face.

When Martland confronted the police officer, he confessed to everything. Well, confessed is probably the wrong word. He bragged about it and dared Martland to do something.

edit on 3-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This is very sad and a very frightening example of how messed up things are.

When my family served in Afghanistan, there was a known issue with the Afghan soldiers having a thing for little boys. It was very wide spread. They were told to keep a blind eye and not do anything...I'm not sure if I could have done that. If I catch someone trying to rape a child I am going to something that I cannot say due to terms and conditions.

This soldier did the right thing and at least he can live with himself. I would not want to serve a military that operates like this. Hopefully this story catches on and he is offered a much better paying job where you are allowed to stop rapists from raping children.

He did the right thing, that's all that matters IMO.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think there's a thread about this on here. Not sure if it's still up or not.

I really think that those two are getting a bum rap. They should be applauded for what they did.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Is there an appropriate medal they can give him for his actions? There ought to be...

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

He bragged about it and dared Martland to do something.

Stupid dare,

Theses guys go into hostile war zones, so daring them to do something like that is just asking for death.

I am surprised the police chief is still able to walk and talk.

I understand the armies point of view, keeping order and following laws or rules of engagement, however there is right and there is wrong,

The soldier was provoked by a child rapist, it doesn't take a genius to do the math and know what the outcome might be.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I dont get it....

now i do!

eta lol sorry mistake!
edit on 2015-09-03T12:28:59-05:00201509bpm3009pm5930 by combatmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Soldiers are generally expected to follow the "customs" of the people in these areas.

Rape of young girls and boys is commonplace unfortunately.

Not sure why this story is receiving attention as child brides are commonplace over there. Is it because it's a male child that the soldier stuck up for him?

I don't get it.

So he was perfectly fine all those years seeing little girls get raped but then a boy getting raped becomes a big event? I don't understand the soldier mentality. How they sleep at night after willingly signing up for the U.S. military is a shock to be quite honest.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This man has my respect, and this is some serious NLBS! They will have to find a loophole to actually get him out. Unless it has changed I thought it took an Act of Congress discharge a SFC and above. Maybe that is just to take away his rank.

To leave a monster with the power to torture and degrade the people he is supposed to protect would be the wrong. Sadly this monster"Commander" will not change, long after all the honorable men have left he will still be there taking innocence and building martyrs. Teaching another generation hate so the cycle can continue. Pffft... An honor killing of a 12year old girl over kissing a boy?! Better go ahead and circumcise her first, then kill her, but high five the boy for his skills with the ladies...Everyday the sickness creeps a little deeper into the souls of men, we fight it not.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I don't necessarily agree with what is going on but he isn't getting discharged for ignoring a custom like this is saying.
You know that as well. It is about the assault.

I know we all want it to fine because of who he is assaulting, and I would agree. But that isn't the case.
And it has always been that way, you can't just go and assault someone because you don't agree with what they did.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
First of all I'd like to shake his hand and buy him a beer.
But did the guy he beat up commit a crime in Afghanistan? Or was it the soldiers own moral judgement?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I don't necessarily agree with what is going on but he isn't getting discharged for ignoring a custom like this is saying.
You know that as well. It is about the assault.

I know we all want it to fine because of who he is assaulting, and I would agree. But that isn't the case.
And it has always been that way, you can't just go and assault someone because you don't agree with what they did.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

You are insane if you would do nothing.... very Nazi'ish

If that is today's military expectations then we are truly doomed.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Sounds like he did commit a crime if everything reported is true.
If it is all true is a different story but don't really have anything to say it isn't.

Doesn't sound like he stopped him in the act either, but confronted him after the mother of the child asked for help.
That is the issue, he went and took justice in his own hands.
Which good for him, the guy deserved a good beat down and then some if what is reported is fact.
But that isn't how it goes in the Army, they have rules and that would be breaking them.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Soldiers are generally expected to follow the "customs" of the people in these areas.

Rape of young girls and boys is commonplace unfortunately.

Not sure why this story is receiving attention as child brides are commonplace over there. Is it because it's a male child that the soldier stuck up for him?

I don't get it.

So he was perfectly fine all those years seeing little girls get raped but then a boy getting raped becomes a big event? I don't understand the soldier mentality. How they sleep at night after willingly signing up for the U.S. military is a shock to be quite honest.

I don't necessarily agree with what is going on but he isn't getting discharged for ignoring a custom like this is saying. You know that as well. It is about the assault. I know we all want it to fine because of who he is assaulting, and I would agree. But that isn't the case. And it has always been that way, you can't just go and assault someone because you don't agree with what they did. Two wrongs don't make a right.

WOW just WOW

None of that # is acceptable and we should not have to tolerate it. Child rape, child brides, woman beating.
Thank God I never encountered that.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Doom and Gloom

Yeah, I am kind of shocked at these responses as well.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I don't blame him for doing what he did, did you read the post?

But actions have consequences too. He took justice into his own hands and got some discipline for it.

He isn't getting kicked out directly for this act, but because he has discipline on his record and those are the ones targeted for cuts on the downsize.

Quinn said he and Martland never gave official statements to Army investigators, and they were not punished in the military justice system, which makes it difficult to reconcile the differences between his and Johnson’s statements.

Read more here: www.thenewstribune.com...=cpy

Veteran soldiers with negative performance reviews in their service records are being culled from the ranks as part of the post-Iraq War drawdown.

Read more here: www.thenewstribune.com...=cpy

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

He will get discharged for dispensing his own justice. Unfortunate but true.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

LOL,

Justice would have been never hearing about this story and a missing Afghan Police Commander.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Doom and Gloom

Would LOVE either of you to show where I said I am ok with what the afgahn guy did or disagree that the guy should not have done what he did.
Don't put words in my mouth,

All I am saying is that you don't get a free pass from the consequences.
Vigilante justice is not approved in the Army, never has been.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join