It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Samaritans save woman from husband

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
OKC KABC7

A group of Good Samaritans stepped in to save a woman who was being attacked by her husband in an Oklahoma parking lot, and the entire incident was captured on cellphone video.

In the video, the woman is heard screaming out as her husband beats her with a large flashlight. The women asks a group of men passing by to call police, and that's when they intervene.

The article states that 56-year-old Douglas Beckham started beating his wife with a large flashlight after she wanted some fast food and he refused. The video in the article starts with them in a parking lot. I have no idea what happened before hand. Dis she get physical first or did he just rage on her with provocation? He definitely went into a rage. She can be seen in the bed of the pickup with many bleeding lacerations on her legs. Good Samaritans stopped the attack as she we calling for someone to call 911. Turns out this wasn't the first time he was caught manhandling his woman.

Court records show Beckham faced domestic violence charges last year for knocking his wife to the ground and hitting her repeatedly with a hammer.

That's right, last year he attacked her with a hammer. I would think that would come with a hefty prison sentence. Hammers are deadly. Why is he still out terrorizing her? Why is she still with him? Is she afraid to leave him? Maybe he has some friends in high places? How is he still walking the streets after he attacked his wife with a hammer last year?

Beckham once carried a badge, and is now behind bars at the very jail where he once worked as a sheriff's deputy.

Now I don't know if being a former deputy helps you out when you are arrested for assault for assault and battery, but I guess we will find out this time. When someone like this is caught, I think they need to be locked up for a long time. Safer for the streets if he is put away, than trying to take away all of his blunt weapons.

I really like how the police react to the Good Samaritans saving the day.

"We don't advocate to the level that it went," Oklahoma City police Capt. Paco Balderrama said. "Call the police, let us handle it. Once people are out of harm's way, let the professionals handle it."

"One of the witnesses got into the back of the truck, the back window was smashed out -- all very, very dangerous situations," Balderrama said.

Granted one of the gentleman hit the abuser to get the flashlight, and when the abuser drove off and came back for them he jumped in the bed of the pickup, smashed the back window and climbed in to stop the truck. Seems to me the police just want a monopoly on use of force. If those guys just called 911 and stood around waiting for police to arrive, who knows what would have happened to that lady.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

yea some cops just want to have all the fun. some give the credit when the credit is due.
two
for the Samaritans

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The sad thing is, is that she will likely be back with him as soon as they let him out the door. What these men did was right IMO. They very well could have saved her life this time, but they also may very well have risked their own lives only to prolong the inevitable fate of this woman.

I hope that this was the last straw for her and that she stays far away from him but if a hammer didn't do it, a flashlight probably won't either. Maybe they'll at least keep him in jail long enough for her to figure something out.

This is the kind of "See Something, Say Something" that we need more of IMO.
edit on 9/3/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Good for those guys. I would have done the same if I'd have seen it. That's one thing I can't stomach, seeing a woman beaten by a "man".

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

How the hell can assault with a deadly weapon, hammer, not carry a prison sentence of years. These are the people I don't want to come across in the streets. I wonder if him being a former sheriff's deputy had anything to do with him being out so quickly. Maybe she knows they won't prosecute him there and she is scared to leave him. Maybe the only ones she knows are local and she has nowhere to go. I hate women beaters. I want to make them my girlfriends for the night if you know what I'm saying.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I know, women beaters and child beaters are some of the worst scum on Earth. How is he able to commit this act one year after being arrested hot a hammer attack. I'd like to take the bastard to the forest and strip him down. Tie him to a tree, coat his ass in honey and let a bear have a treat.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I'm sure being a deputy (former or otherwise) helped quite a bit in that situation as it generally does in most situations. I'd also hazard a guess that his wife either dropped those charges, claimed she lied after the fact, refused to testify, and/or refused to even show up in court that day. Now that is conjecture on my part but it fits the status quo perfectly here. That is how so many women wind up dead.

I'm not one to tolerate that kind of ignorance in my life so I can not pretend to understand why anyone else does. My husband out weighs me by more than 200 lbs. the day that I'm scared of him is the day that he stops sleeping through the night because if I can't get him on his feet... I will eventually get him on the sheets.

In some cases the state will press charges even if the wife will not. Hopefully that happens here so even if she isn't able to leave him (for whatever reason) on her own she will have no choice but to be away from him then.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Your reply seems spot on to me. I'm sure if I were afraid to press charges because the cops and DA or judge has his back, I would avoid the extra beating. That kind of crap has to end.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Well... All I can say is that it is a good thing that those gentlemen happened by. Any man prepared to beat his wife needs stopping, but a man prepared to beat his wife in a parking lot, in broad daylight, with a weapon no less, in my humble opinion needs his arms cutting off...preferably with a blunt, rusty spoon.

In all seriousness though, this sort of thing needs to be stopped, just period. Anyone prepared to step in and MAKE it stop, should be commended, not given a stern look and a begrudging pat on the back. Give these gentlemen a medal and a reward for their preparedness to do the right thing, in a world which increasingly looks on goodness and decency as outmoded!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: harvestdog

Your reply seems spot on to me. I'm sure if I were afraid to press charges because the cops and DA or judge has his back, I would avoid the extra beating. That kind of crap has to end.

with video evidence, she may not have a say in weather to press charges.
In Michigan, if cops get called, and you get arrested, they will prosecute

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree, they should get a commendation from their local police. I watched the news video and it didn't seem like a 3rd world beatdown to me. Hell, they didn't even put holes in his ass.

The bastard came back at them in his truck. Cops would've opened up on his ass I would bet. They did one hell of a good deed that day.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

I hope so. I hope this wifebeater doesn't see the light of day for a long time. Too many violent/sexual offenders are getting a pass, and non-violent people are in prison and jail for drug possession. Crazy state of affairs in our country.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I noticed her wrist was already in a wrap .. gee, wonder how that happened? I hope he winds up in jail, and she gets whatever help she needs, mental or otherwise, to be free of him forever.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
God, terrible.

But, she'll likely be right back with snookums after all is said and done.

Rolls eyes.

Good there are still young men who defend those in need though. Happy to see it.

edit on 3-9-2015 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DaphneApollo

There are good men that will still help a woman in distress, but not if they fear being made an example out of by LE. LE should commend them and thank them for not royally jacking this wife beater up

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaphneApollo
God, terrible.

But, she'll likely be right back with snookums after all is said and done.

Rolls eyes.

◾Leaving can be dangerous. The most dangerous time for a woman who is being abused is when she tries to leave. (United States Department of Justice, National Crime Victim Survey, 1995)

Link

But you know... She should just leave.

Rolls eyes...

When I left, he did his best to sweet talk me and when didn't work he tried to take my son away by lying to DFS, which didn't work either. Even if they don't come and put one in your head for leaving they will still try to control you any way they can.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Looks like those Mexicans decided to take some time off from raping and stealing to save this poor woman!

Good on them

edit on 3-9-2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Warning: these vids are pretty graphic...

To the men who stepped out and said enough is enough...

edit on 3-9-2015 by Murgatroid because: Added link...

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

But you know... She should just leave.

Rolls eyes...

When I left, he did his best to sweet talk me and when didn't work he tried to take my son away by lying to DFS, which didn't work either. Even if they don't come and put one in your head for leaving they will still try to control you any way they can.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh, but I do. You see I was a child of a victim of domestic abuse from the late seventies till the early '80's. My father terrorized his wife and children at least 3 times a weeknight and patrol cars were called and he would act innocent in front of officers "Oh, I didn't hurt her" when he had almost broken my arm, the officer even noted "Sir, we don't like grown men twisting little girls arms" after he had already dragged my mother through the house by the hair mind you, and took her head banging it against the wall. Truth, and guess what my mom would say, no I don't want to press charges nor sign an affidavit. He also held her at knife point and locked us out of the house, well 10 patrol cars came that night. Lucky us huh?

Now, he's dying of lung cancer and she's still crying over him. I say good, it couldn't have happened to a better person IMO.

She knew that when he got out it would be even worse. I know exactly what this lady is going through I lived it too.

So see, I do roll my eyes at these women, I'm sorry they're going through this, but her arm is already in a cast, but I'm sure she just fell and he had nothing to do with it..../sarc

And yes, I do know how they sweet talk to get back in good graces and then pull the same thing over, it is a very dangerous time to try and leave I know all too well.

Domestic abusers can shove it.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, and I wish you all the peace in the world with your situation. Blessings to you.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I am proud of the two good Samaritans, however, I would have been slightly more aggressive NOT allowing him back in that cockpit; truth is I would be afraid how bad it would have been if I were to have been there (For that douche bag of a human being that flashlight would have probably been stuck in his @$$) NO woman deserves this #ing treatment.... As a previous post mentioned...sadly., she will probably return to him.....

new topics

top topics

join