It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum hackers thwarted, Universe has been patched against "Local Realism" loopholes.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Where are you guys getting this free will / no free will idea?

Nonlocality wouldn't mean no free will - it would just mean that, like a video game character in an artificial word, the rules or order that govern the mechanics aren't local - they aren't character side. e.g. A game character stepping on a switch opens a door, not because the door and switch have a physical connection in the characters world, but because the game engine checks for the switch and then sends information to the door, nonlocally.

Maybe the best example would be our minds in how we can create causation that is not actually causal or local. e.g. You can mentally image yourself eating an apple which results in sleeping beauty appearing and says something cliche.
edit on 9/3/2015 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AshFan

Your headline intrigued me, you lost me after that.

Then the article mentioned quantum mechanics and then it made perfect sense, then I looked away for a moment and all of a sudden it was nonsense again.

Quantum mechanics is like watching a river flow up a mountain slope, it doesn't make sense and if anyone can truly understand it then they are either brilliantly insane or insanely brilliant. My cat might help solve the problem but I want it alive.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
There have been experiments for decades that implied this but there were always loopholes. Different loopholes were closed in different experiments. Due to this, it seemed pretty safe to say that non-locality was a reality. But this is the first time that all loopholes have been closed in an experiment. Might not be the best experiment but it's the first.

For more science-goodness, here is Nature:
www.nature.com/news/quantum-spookiness-passes-toughest-test-yet-1.18255
edit on 3-9-2015 by VegHead because: typo

(post by yulka removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Quantum mechanics are when monkeys dont know what the eff they are doing, so they make a nice little story of horse s**- just to, oh wow, im gonna go into the forest for few days.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Quantum stuff is hard to understand because it creates paradoxes in how we currently observe and think about the world. It's like understanding 2-D, existing in 3-D and trying to imagine 4-D. It's really hard to wrap one's mind around the implications of non-locality and everything being connected at the quantum level.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka

However in the micro, thought experimental quantum world, you didn't call the OP an effing retard and you wouldn't have to apologize.

But this is the macro, tangible world you did say those things.

Free will is always an option.

edit on 3-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Profilers are best at identifying and tracking people who have exhibited extreme behaviour, did you know that? Psychopaths and sociopaths, terrorists, supremacists, bank robbers, rapists...They find it very difficult to profile people who do not have extreme tendencies, and that is because people who have no particular extremes in their life have lots of grey space in their internal narrative, and are therefore difficult to discern apart from others. They become part of the noise, rather than a distinct signal.

There are people out there who do all their shopping, on the same day of the week, or the same day of the month, at the same stores, and buy virtually the same things. That said, some of those people take it into their heads to go and live in Asia or the West Indies all of a sudden, or decide they are going to up and go to the far, cold Northern nations. Some decide they are going to give up their desk job, and race fast cars for the rest of their lives. Others defy the odds and the profiles and go off and get college degrees that their birth and status would not lend themselves to, and others still have every opportunity from the get go, and yet fail. Some start promising sports careers, and then decide that joining the Marines is the best thing they could be doing. These things are not destiny, but determination. Free will.

In every moment, in every second of every day, we defy fate and entropy by choosing our own path. The quantum universe is not our master, it is just the pixel provider. We choose how the game of life is played, and some of us even make our own rules. None the less, they are ours to decide, and that is where our free will comes in.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka

I'm not sure if that meme has been flogged like a dead horse or milked for all it's worth.

In the quantum world it could be both.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: AshFan

As an idiot could you describe what is all about because I did try but my feeble mind didn't compute and I'm full of scotch and meds.
Does this mean wemake the universe exist in it's present state because we are observing it? or is my comprehension frazzled?.

The Universe was doing just fine until your arms got bigger. Then God had to install Universe 646 Service Pack 2.

Eventually, God will release Universe 8000 with built in arm support, and phase out support for Universe 646. Unfortunately, we'll have to upgrade our bones before Universe 8000 can be installed.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

No, im just tired, its like watching a badly scripted movie which 5000 people wrote. I know that 9/10 are gonna buy it. But what do you do with the last one? Send them to a shrink cause their reality alters, say they live in a paradox? Drug them? People always break out, do they like it? I can probably say no, i want to be left alone, have a few tantrums here and there be called a conspiracy theorist, i understand this world to a degree which would make me kinda weird. So i can take the weird stamp in my forehead, but in the end your world is what you make it, not somebody else. They just make the bubble which we all live in.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

yepp all you said

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yes.

The quantum world is a mess of logic and nonsense, but yet we still have brains, a mass of billions of neurons and axons that act as one when we need them to do so. When we are in harms way, we don't fight and flight at the same time, we do one or the other. Surely there has to be a governing force, something that can explain how the chaotic nature of the micro and the uniform predictability of the macro can coexist.

Some call it String theory, others call it M theory. All I know is I am not smart enough to look at the chalkboard and understand what i'm looking at.

edit on 3-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Alright ! are you ready to have your mind blown?

This talk about choice incl. the OP reminded me about Wheeler's delayed choice experiment. It's a tough one to wrap your head around so I went looking for some video help and found this. It pretty much discusses all of this plus the collapsing of the wave function. Which I might add, it discussed now pretty much as self-evident. Collapsing the wave function. What causes that? It's the observation or "choices". How choices now actually effected the past? How photon's behaviors are based on not actually choices, but also knowledge. This, my friend and fellow ATSers is the holy grail of what we're all trying to discover about "reality" Really mind blowing stuff. So enough of me talking, watch this!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
so theoretically, this experiment was bound to happen....
this disproves the experiment.
because the microwaves 'randomly' generated in the experiment and the detectors can be subject to the same experiment not just the photons emitted.... by simply switching around their alice and bob and the detector.

this would also prove that microwaves cannot be emitted randomly either as their electrons (and protons) are already entangled and exist somewhere not 'localized' (or near) to the experiment taking place....

or are we all insane for trying to prove things that are not even proven in the first place??

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
so theoretically, this experiment was bound to happen....
this disproves the experiment.
because the microwaves 'randomly' generated in the experiment and the detectors can be subject to the same experiment not just the photons emitted.... by simply switching around their alice and bob and the detector.

this would also prove that microwaves cannot be emitted randomly either as their electrons (and protons) are already entangled and exist somewhere not 'localized' (or near) to the experiment taking place....

or are we all insane for trying to prove things that are not even proven in the first place??

My eyes are crossing. You undoubtedly have a better grasp on this than I do! But, this issue was addressed in the article. Er, I think... Yeah, quantum physics always leaves me so confused. Don't get me started on the quantum eraser! (Thanks for reminding me of that particular mind blowing weirdness, Flysolo!!)

From OPs linked article, near the end of it:

There is one loophole left for local realists to cling to, but no experiment can ever rule it out. What if there is some kind of link between the random microwave generators and the detectors? Then Alice and Bob may think they are free to choose the settings on their equipment, but hidden variables could interfere with the choice and thwart the Bell test.

Hanson’s team notes this is a possibility, but assume it isn’t the case. Zeilinger’s experiment attempts to deal with this freedom of choice loophole by separating the random number generators and detectors, while others have proposed using photons from distant quasars to produce random numbers, resulting in billions of years of separation.

None of this helps in the long run – if the fate of the universe is predetermined, with the flutter of every photon set in stone, no one would ever have a choice about anything. “The freedom of choice loophole will never be closed fully,” says Kofler.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
So why dont we just collapse this universe? oh wait we are

What i am saying, in quantum physics you cant just make stuff up so it fits your theory, stick to one, and go for it. If you need patches it means maybe the theory was to complex, simplify.

link   

link   
ok ok sorry but im going to have to be the ballsbreaker here. unfortunately. this isnt what most think it is. "patched the universe"? no.. not by a long.. very very long shot. quantum data networks merely Simulate behaviour found at the quantum level of nature in the way that they manage bits and bytes. the simulation is making one data space hold 2 states at the same time and utilizing the data state that is needed only at ay point in time. the universe REALLY does this. quantum data networks.. no. and of course we must remember we are still dealing with mechanical devices which utilize specific materials to simulate natural behaviour. but it isnt using nature itself to transmit data.

so ok,, "we patched the universe" nice grandiose metaphor. yet still a gross exaggeration and misleading science publication once again. as those who arent so scientifically agile will actually think the universe just got hacked. in fact what these scientists have done. even though it is theoretically possible when we can actually manipulate nature would place a limit on what can be done. and the quantum state does not obey limits. meaning what can be done can stil be undone as though it never was. theoretically speaking.

in short. they patched their quantum data network, which merely simulates quantum behaviour as observed in nature and the universe at large. the patch may be effective in their closed system. but not in nature.
edit on 3-9-2015 by John333 because: (no reason given)

link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join