It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a heads up Atlanta folks...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
So this weekend is shaping up to be a possible nightmare. between 600-800k people are expected to come in town for the following events:

– Dragon Con

– Vice President Joe Biden will visit Atlanta on Thursday, Sept. 3. The announcement says, “”Vice President, Joe Biden and his motorcade are expected to travel The Connector for a speech at the Ahavath Achim Synagogue in Buckhead.” Estimated time for the event is 7:30 p.m.

– Georgia Tech vs. Alcorn State on Sept. 3

– Atlanta Falcons vs. the Baltimore Ravens on Sept. 3

– The Chick-fil-A Kickoff game on Sept. 5 between Auburn and Louisville

– Atlanta Black Pride Weekend

– Labor Day at Six Flags

– 37th Annual Labor Day Race in Avondale Estates

Now the two I see causing the most concern are Black Pride and Biden's visit. These two things have me a slight bit worried about the weekend. I am hoping everyone keeps a calm head this weekend and locals remain level headed from the influx of insane traffic with out of state drivers.

I also see this as a major opportunity for whatever group to make a statement with some kind of violence happening.

Anywho.....thought I would give everyone in the area a heads up in case you have not read or heard about all of this coming in town.

Here is a link to one of the stories on it...

Source

And the story on Biden coming in town....

Source

Me personally....I will be staying at my house and cooking out all weekend...
edit on 9/3/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
...and the possibilty of the McWhopper soon.

I miss the ATL.
Especially DragonCon weekend. I could walk around downtown and haze all the neckbearded basement dwellers
" 'SUP, DUNGEON MASTER!!!"
good times.
edit on 3-9-2015 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
'SUP, DUNGEON MASTER!!!"
good times.

you're a boomkin fer goodness sakes! lol

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Me personally....I will be staying at my house and cooking out all weekend...

Me too. As I am wont to do every weekend.
It's supposed to rain this weekend anyway, last I heard.

Wow, I didn't know that there were that many events happening this weekend. I doubt anything big will happen, but who knows. It's going to be a mess, regardless. Keep me out of Atlanta and relaxed at home.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
...and the possibilty of the McWhopper soon.

I miss the ATL.
Especially DragonCon weekend. I could walk around downtown and haze all the neckbearded basement dwellers
" 'SUP, DUNGEON MASTER!!!"
good times.

Yep...I usually hit DragonCon every year to people watch.....not going to even think about it this year...downtown Atlanta is going to be a nightmare. All of the connectors are going to suck, and with Biden hitting Buckhead at 7:30 tonight....forget about going anywhere near there.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Now the two I see causing the most concern are Black Pride and Biden's visit. These two things have me a slight bit worried about the weekend. I am hoping everyone keeps a calm head this weekend and locals remain level headed from the influx of insane traffic with out of state drivers.

Why are you most concerned with Black Pride and Biden?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I used to work at the Atlanta History Center...traffic on a typical weekend in Buckhead is a nightmare. You're all looking at the perfect storm of gridlock. Good Luck everyone.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Hmmmm.....lets think about this for a second.

Have you read in the news about all the things that have been happening around the country with riots and protests with black people? Have you read and heard all the things going on around the country with LGBT rights? This is a natural choice for an incident to occur.

And Biden is kind of a given when you have 6-800K people coming in town that are not from here....he is the Vice President....any high ranking official would be stupid not to be wary of everything going on in Atlanta and the numbers of people coming in town that are not native to the area....

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
When is the Atlanta White Pride weekend? Anyone know?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I'm confused. Is it Black-pride and gay-pride weekend, or Gay Black pride?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I'm confused. Is it Black-pride and gay-pride weekend, or Gay Black pride?

Black Pride is LGBT community, but only for blacks.....hence the Pride part....typically the gatherings are just called Pride but they felt the need to separate for a special one.....so there are a lot of people coming in town for it.

Black Pride

Atlanta Black Pride is an annual official festival for the African American LGBT community held in Atlanta each year at the end of August and beginning of September (week of Labor Day holiday).[1] As of 2005 it was noted as one of the three largest black gay pride festivals in the country,[2] while the festival itself bills itself as the largest official black pride celebration in the world.

The MLK Jr. holiday weekend is the first major black pride event in Atlanta every year. During this weekend, there are several special black gay events and nightlife options to entertain locals and visitors.[3]

Atlanta is widely noted for being a "Black Gay Mecca" due to its largely visible black LGBT community and vibrant gay nightlife.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

your question should elicit the standard "DUH" response, but, I won't judge.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

your question should elicit the standard "DUH" response, but, I won't judge.

I thought the same, but my southern hospitality would not let me only type a single word.....

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

So you believe it's possible that these gay black people may riot/protest/loot in order to draw attention to black gay issues?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Rain would be nice....though I doubt it would deter many from coming for the events that are happening. My lawn could use a good watering anyways....

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

So you believe it's possible that these gay black people may riot/protest/loot in order to draw attention to black gay issues?

I am now beginning to wonder if you are just trolling or if you have had your head in the sand about the news for the last year. This is Atlanta....a huge city with one of the largest black communities in the nation, and possibly THE largest gay black community in the nation.

Do you really think the focus won't be on rights for blacks AND gays in some way? It is a parade....it is the largest one in the country....so yes, I believe it is possible that these gay, black people may riot/protest/loot, but not in any way to draw attention to black gay issues....more because the current issues surrounding the black community in general are likely to take over the entire focus.....it isn't like they are going to be turning away non-gays there.

This is going to be a huge gathering and quite likely because of current issues will become a hotspot for something bad to happen.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Serious question, has there ever been a gay pride parade riot?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I am now beginning to wonder if you are just trolling or if you have had your head in the sand about the news for the last year.

I'm beginning to wonder if you are not saying these things because you are a bit racist and since you have a large gathering of black people, are afraid they will loot, protest and invite their not-gay friends along for a smashing good time.

For the love of god man. Just because a bunch of black people get together to march in a parade and show their pride for being gay does not mean all hell is going to break loose!

Absolute nonsense.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Serious question, has there ever been a gay pride parade riot?

Not that I know of in Atlanta, but there has also never been another recent year where the black community has voiced so much hate towards police and whites. This is a perfect storm for idiocy to happen. It is hot and steamy in Atlanta right now and there are 6-800K new people coming in town....recipe for disaster really. You have the temps, the traffic, the people and the current issues all coming in to one ALREADY huge city all at the same time.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I am now beginning to wonder if you are just trolling or if you have had your head in the sand about the news for the last year.

I'm beginning to wonder if you are not saying these things because you are a bit racist and since you have a large gathering of black people, are afraid they will loot, protest and invite their not-gay friends along for a smashing good time.

For the love of god man. Just because a bunch of black people get together to march in a parade and show their pride for being gay does not mean all hell is going to break loose!

Absolute nonsense.

No...I am saying them because I am responding to your inquiry about ONLY the Biden and Black Pride part of my post and are making it solely about the black pride part now. Seems you are the only one singling this issue out. I said Biden AND Black Pride were my biggest concerns because of what is happening in the country right now.

Atlanta already has one of the largest population of blacks in the country....so a gathering of more isn't a big deal...what is are the issues surrounding both the black community and the gay community right now. Unless you are completely ignorant, I fail to see how you would NOT think some of the current issues may raise their ugly heads during this event.

So what is YOUR issue with blacks or gays as you apparently have one.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join