It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mushroom meatlike loaf

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I recently got in my mind to experiment with a vegetarian meatloaf. I love meatloaf and mash potatoes with green beans but haven't been feeling like eating meat lately.
So I bought the fake ground meat (vege, soy based crumbles) for the meat like texture, two big Portobello mushrooms and a bag of criminie mushrooms. I had on hand some onion, garlic and broccoli, piece of bread and two eggs. I chopped up half the mushrooms fairly small and set a side. I took the other ingredients, minus the fake meat and turned in into purée.
I mixed everything together with my hands and formed it into a nonmeat meatloaf and cooked it at 375 F degrees for 40 minutes.
Turned out pretty good with green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy.
I'm not good at recording exact measurements. I just sort of feel things out when cooking.
I'm thinking a bean like, cooked pinto, could be added too for more protein and maybe to replace the egg so it could be vegan.
If any vegans know a solution to replacing egg in a savory dish, I would much appreciate the info.
Just felt like sharing.
edit on 3-9-2015 by peppycat because: computer changing words and grammar

edit on 3-9-2015 by peppycat because: added F for Fahrenheit

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
I recently got in my mind to experiment with a vegetarian meatloaf. I love meatloaf and mash potatoes with green beans but haven't been feeling like eating meat lately.
So I bought the fake ground meat (vege, soy based crumbles) for the meat like texture, two big Portobello mushrooms and a bag of criminie mushrooms. I had on hand some onion, garlic and broccoli, piece of bread and two eggs. I chopped up half the mushrooms fairly small and set a side. I took the other ingredients, minus the fake meat and turned in into purée.
I mixed everything together with my hands and formed it into a nonmeat meatloaf and cooked it at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
Turned out pretty good with green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy.
I'm not good at recording exact measurements. I just sort of feel things out when cooking.
I'm thinking a bean like, cooked pinto, could be added too for more protein and maybe to replace the egg so it could be vegan.
If any vegans know a solution to replacing egg in a savory dish, I would much appreciate the info.
Just felt like sharing.

Haha thought i was having a stroke reading the title there.

Im a huge mushroom fan. I even love those fungus pies. sounds nice this. Definitely food for thought given tomorrow is shopping day.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Veg loaf is awesome.

If you aren't a big fan of fake meat and want to substitute this lentil loaf recipe is amazing! It honestly just tastes like an amazing turkey stuffing...or along those lines. Incredibly healthy as well!

Lentil Loaf

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymediclooks yummy, I pinned the page to my tablet. I love lentils! Thank you.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I live near the mushroom capital of the world in Chester County, PA. The smell during the summer is nauseating, but cheap mushrooms of all varieties are awesome.
There's a mushroom festival in Kennett Square in a week or two. They have a recipe/cook-off type thing. I'm working on a stuffed morel thing I call Smurf Village. I'll post the recipe once I get it tweaked. Thank you for yours!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear Smurf village! Can't wait to see it!

I've never had a morel mushroom, I'll have to look them up.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Can someone post a Meatloaf recipe with pics because as a Brit I have not got the foggiest what a Meatloaf is.
edit on 3-9-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

...I have not got the foggiest what a Meatloaf is.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Can someone post a Meatloaf recipe with pics because as a Brit I have not got the foggiest what a Meatloaf is.

I call shenanigans. You just wanna see what THEY call it. Meatloaf goes back in my family yonks and they came from the UK.

Typically it's this...

and not this, as some would have you believe !!!! Oo

Though I am sure he was baked a little longer than the meat-only based meatloaf.
edit on 3-9-2015 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Nope not where I come from.
Honestly maybe it was just my family who never had it
Is it a bit dry? do you need gravy?.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Meatlike?

That word should be made a swearword.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
You are missing out. It's basically 2 pounds of meat (not sure metric measurements, sorry) with 2 eggs, oatmeal, sometimes onions and bell peppers (if you like it like that) all mixed together. I use hamburger and spicy sausage. The texture of the two kinds of meat are different so you really have to work getting it mixed but it's worth it. As a twist I like to put bacon on mine. Top it with ketchup. I also like to dump the bacon grease in. It makes it moist and the flavor gets all over. I guess you could put gravy in it. That actually sounds good. So does adding mushrooms, now that I think of it. I don't recall the temp you cook at or how long, as I haven't made it in years. Anywho, it's great stuff.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Now, if you eat that kind of meatloaf you have problems lol. It might take the words right out of your mouth when you see paradise by the dashboard light because two out of three ain't bad.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

That is what you call double M. Mason Meatloaf. The hardest ingredient to get for that recipe. Is the ground up genetically engineered Meat Loaf clones. Some stores carry it under its generic name of ground Michael Lee Aday. Make sure to get the 90 percent fat, 10 percent lean ground Michael Lee Aday and not the newer fifty fifty lean to fat Michael Lee Aday. The former makes for a much juicier culinary experience.

edit on 3-9-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Meatloaf is like a great big faggot that you share as opposed to having a few each.

You can take that statement in any way you choose.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
That is what you call double M. Mason Meatloaf. The hardest ingredient to get for that recipe. Is the ground up genetically engineered Meat Loaf clones.

Us high level Masons don't get served the clone version, we get the real deal.

Remember, when you see that porker Kevin James, he is a clone. We ate the real one back in 2007.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Here is a recipe for a turkey and mushroom meat loaf I like to make. It is not vegetarian but it does have lots of mushrooms. I am sure it can be made vegetarian by substituting something else for the ground turkey. This recipe is not mine but I forgot where I got it from. Also the recipe calls for egg substitute, but I just use regular eggs. I also do not use as much sour cream as the recipe says to use.

Cooking spray
⅓ cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
6 dry-packed sun-dried tomato halves
1½ teaspoons canola or corn oil
¾ cup chopped onion
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced (about 2½ cups)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup uncooked quick-cooking oatmeal
½ teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
¼ cup egg substitute
1 pound ground skinless turkey breast
½ cup low-fat sour cream

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line an 8½ × 4½ × 2½-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil, leaving some overhang. Lightly spray with cooking spray.In a small saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat. Add the tomatoes. Set aside.In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion for 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft and beginning to brown.

Stir in the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally. Transfer half the mixture to a food processor. Remove the other half from the heat. Drain the rehydrated tomatoes, reserving the broth. Add the tomatoes, oatmeal, and thyme to the processor. Pulse 10 to 15 times, or until the mixture resembles granola. Add the drained broth and egg substitute. Pulse 10 times. Add the turkey. Pulse 5 to 10 times, or until blended. Spoon 2 cups mixture into the loaf pan. Using the back of a spoon, gently press the mixture from the center toward all 4 sides to form a depression with a sloping border about 1 inch high and about ¾ inch thick. Stir the sour cream into the reserved onion mixture. Spoon into the depression. Add the remaining turkey mixture around the sides, then gently over the top (if you press too hard, the sour cream might ooze out the sides).

Using the back of the spoon, smooth the turkey mixture and press it down gently around the sides to seal. The meat loaf should be slightly mounded in the center, similar to a loaf of bread. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center. Remove from the oven. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using the foil overhang, carefully transfer the meat loaf, still on the foil, from the pan to a flat surface. Using a spatula, transfer the meat loaf from the foil onto a platter. Slice and serve.

edit on 3-9-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Same here, maybe they have it down South? but for us Northerners, I know it was never a thing for me or people I know. Saying that though, I have tried it once, at some buffet in Sheffield, tasted like #! I would try it again though, homemade or somewhere decent.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That explains, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. Another mystery solved. The clone obviously needed time to adjust to its new life.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Ah right now I get it I love faggots.

Got to have gravy though.

edit on 3-9-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join