It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson's positions analyzed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This article details a few of popular Republican candidate Ben Carson's political views. They include a balanced budget amendment, eliminating the IRS, repealing Obamacare, a flat tax, and apparently deporting children who aren't citizens.

As much as I cannot respect anyone who wants to deport children, the real problem with his platform is the flat tax. A ten to 15 percent flat tax sounds good on paper, but when you consider that almost half of Americans don't have to pay income tax currently because of how expensive it is to live in this country, getting rid of all deductions and suddenly hitting them with a 10 to 15 percent tax they never had to pay before will be a financial catastrophe. And of course, when government spending is cut dramatically to balance the budget, the cutting will all be for social programs and things that benefit all citizens, like National Parks. Not to mention that reducing the tax rate on high earners (those who do pay taxes) will just increase the financial divide and move us toward aristocracy that much faster.

While I agree that we need to try to balance the budget, overall a Carson presidency sounds like a disaster to me.

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Flat tax or no exemption consumption tax (sales tax) works. Consolidating duplicate function Government agencies would save billions.

Refocus the IRS completely to investigate fraudulent claims (Medicare, etc.).

Reducing Business Taxes (we are currently one of the highest % in the world) will spur massive growth.

edit on 2-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Would you be adverse to a 10% flat tax for everyone making over 40,000 a year?
edit on 2-9-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I sure as hell wouldn't.

The economic boom would be monumental. Every time a dollar changes hands, the Govt gets a dime. The tax revenue from all the "moving money" would break % increase records.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
almost half of Americans don't have to pay income tax currently because of how expensive it is to live in this country

That's not the reason why, but you got the other half right.

And why is it so expensive to live in this country...?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Reducing Business Taxes (we are currently one of the highest % in the world) will spur massive growth

That's BS most companies only pay 5% in taxes and the really big ones like GE don't pay any.

That wouldn't be terrible, though I think we need to raise taxes on the rich so they don't become kings and make us all slaves.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
How much more do you expect from tax payers? We pay our taxes, we pay for others healthcare, SS, welfare, food stamps etc. maybe having a 15% tax on no matter how much you make would drive people to work more and take less.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Reducing Business Taxes (we are currently one of the highest % in the world) will spur massive growth.

This has been told over and over again and it simply doesn't work. Small businesses have gotten tax cuts so where is the growth? And when big companies get tax breaks where does the money go? Into their pockets and none spent on growth.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Currently the average corporation pays a 12.6% tax rate. The top end rate is around 40%. So your off by about triple.
edit on 2-9-2015 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Untrue... MOST companies pay through the nose, those companies employ 80-90% of Americans... the "Special" companies receive Government Welfare, tax breaks, and off shore havens.

Closing the loopholes, having the corporate giants pay their share while lowering the oppressive taxes on small and medium size businesses would jumpstart the economic engine.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

And why is it so expensive to live in this country...?

Because companies want to maximize their profits on the product they have made overseas. If you think it's because of taxes then you are too young to remember what it was like when we really paid taxes and companies still sold their products for reasonable prices.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

Most Companies Pay No Federal Income Tax

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
www.cbsnews.com...

Most Companies Pay No Federal Income Tax

Dude, that is "Self Employed" S corporation LLC's of which there are millions and many don't pay taxes because they don't make any money (Home Office write off's).

I am talking real companies that have say 3 or more employees.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I don't know much about his flat tax plan. I'm on ss and pay no taxes even with supplemental invome( it would take more than a months income from me) but I really think this would be resolved.

He lost my vote with the mandatory vaccines he proposed.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Flat tax or no exemption consumption tax (sales tax) works. Consolidating duplicate function Government agencies would save billions.

The idea of a 'flat tax' is just another cover for trickle down economics, nothing more. It benefits the top 1% the most and makes little difference to the middle and working classes. The people who gain the least from a flat tax system are the working class and poor as their taxes don't change much at all. It does little money wise.

If you want a reference, look no further to Reaganomics in the 80s and its continuation to this day. Prior to Reagans historic tax cuts in 1981, the most wealthy were paying tax rates of 70%. Today it's 34%, that's the top rate. This certainly benefited the wealthy who saw their incomes grow dramatically to this day. But with the middle and working classes, growth has been minimal at best. Trickle down economics only benefits the wealthy. It comes with this 'assumption' that the wealthy will reinvest the wealth into job creation, but we've seen time and time again that this isn't really the case. The wealthy like to hoard their wealth. Also note, 50% of businesses are considered 'small' businesses in american. The owners of these businesses are outside the 1%, even the 10%.

Refocus the IRS completely to investigate fraudulent claims (Medicare, etc.).

Do you have any stats concerning how much of an issue welfare fraud is compared to other issues? Did you know that only 7% of households in America received direct cash assistance from the government. We're not talking about food stamps or subsidized lunches, not partial assistance. We're talking about government cash, that's 7%. So do you have any stats, impartial sources to show that show the significance of fraud here? I doubt you'd be able to find any because the rightwing like to overexaggerate the issues with welfare.

I actually don't have an issue with reducing business taxes (the US has a 40% corporate tax rate, the highest) however if we are going to be reducing business taxes, we better ensure that we're getting something back from the businesses. I don't agree with this idea that we should just cut taxes for all businesses and assume it will trickle down again. I mean how many billions do we subsidize corporations a year only for them to continue shipping jobs overseas and cut jobs here? Businesses need to demonstrate they are actively investing back into the country. If they can't, giving them any sort of tax cut is a waste.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Consolidating duplicate function Government agencies would save billions.

No it won't. The work still exists, whether it is several agencies or one giant agency. It would not save anything.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Except if it's anything like rand Paul's tax plan, there are exemptions for those who make under a certain amount

Maybe actually do some real. Research and not take one sources brief discription, as the end all be all

quintisential low information voter display right here

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Lol most don't pay taxes?

Right so that's why so many large companies move to different countries ?

Can't believe he actually typed that

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
A flat tax is the most fair and equitable tax system we could possibly have. If you don't support a flat tax, you are either an idiot or a scrub that doesn't want to pay your fair share.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ben Carson is not well-known. It doesn't matter; he won't become President.

top topics

join