It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAS47 AKM Variant Rifle. All American AK!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Finished testing my RAS47. It is now my SHTF/Home Defense weapon. It has replaced 2 extremely accurate and dependable AR15s and a shotgun or two for the role.

At this point I can say that I have a seriously reliable rifle. In 2000 rounds I have not had a single failure. I know Century isn't really respected very much, but after the kind of # I've put this rifle through I have to say that I am thoroughly satisfied with the performance of this machine.
I've done run and gun, accuracy testing, dirty gun trial(I didn't clean it for the first 1500 rounds), and mag dumps.

1. The accuracy of this rifle has been excellent. I replaced the front sight with a Trijicon night sight from XS Sights. Then I got a knock off Midwest mount for my Primary Arms Micro Dot, it has consistently held zero even after bumping into things during run and gun so the mount is good. I will opt for a better mount, perhaps an Ultimak mount, in the future. No complaints at all on the Micro Dot..Though I would prefer an Aimpoint, or a Trijicon Reflex sight, my wife would end me for spending the money.

2. So far, 100% reliability. Mechanically speaking this weapon has shown only the wear one would expect from regular usage and is consistent with round count.

3. I removed the retaining spring because it just wasn't doing its job. After about 1000 rounds my pins started to walk. Replaced it with a Krebs plate and issues are no longer there. It should be noted that this is a common problem with many AK variants. The design of the pin retention system is stupid and unreliable. If you are on the fence about swapping out a retaining spring with a retaining plate, do yourself a favor and do it.

4. The Magpul Zhukov stock, and AK forend go a long way to allow for modern shooting techniques. The AK Forend covers the retaining plate for the lower handguard which is good because I got tired of burning my #ing hand on it. It holds up well to mag dumps and the heat dissipation is excellent. The stock is the best thing ever. The length of pull, fully collapsed, is shorter and far more comfortable than any other stock system I've tried so far. I do not like long LOP on a rifle, I like it tucked in to my body for better control and the Zhukov takes care of that excellently.

Happy shooting!

edit on pWed, 02 Sep 2015 21:51:21 -050020152America/Chicago2015-09-02T21:51:21-05:0030vx9 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Is this from Atlantic firearms? And how did you decide between the ras47 and a wasr
edit on 2-9-2015 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

WASRs have been around a long time. I love them and they can make excellent rifles. But when you get a dud...It really, really sucks. Yes I did buy it from Atlantic Firearms. This is not the original configuration. When I bought it the rifle had the classic wood furniture which I really didn't care for, despite being well made.

But I wanted something different. I also wanted to support an American company making American rifles. As much as I love Russian and Bulgarian AKs, I simply wanted to try and support a new manufacturer. Century has been importing AKs for a long, long time. For a long time their QC practices were atrocious.

They have since drastically stepped up their game both in QC and customer service. They are having some growing pains, but both the RAS47 and the C39V2 are excellent examples of domestically produced AKs. I got one of the first 700 produced, I've put it through its paces, and have come out with an excellent and reliable rifle for not too much money.

edit on pWed, 02 Sep 2015 21:50:41 -050020152America/Chicago2015-09-02T21:50:41-05:0030vx9 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I have both AR and WASR platforms, and each has a purpose. The reliability factor and the ballistics profile of the 7.62x39 round was a plus, and present day accessories available make a platform like yours appealing. Primary Arms offers micro red dots at a fraction of Aimpoints, and also have great mounts.

I like the furniture you installed(my Mak90 has a slant back which limits butt stock selection) on your rifle, especially the upper receiver mount for optics. Most after market AK optics rails are set forward in the scout position, and it was hard for me to get used to. I have been on a bit of a Bull-pup phase lately, and just got the AK1974, which is a fun shoot. Thanks for the post and pic!

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

I want a Tavor..Also I want to get a really nice SKS-M, which takes AK mags, and convert it to a bullpup using the SG Works bullpup kit.

Man that would be a fun gun to shoot.

I chose a more standardized AKM pattern rifle. While I like the quality and reliability of the MAK90 I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a weapon so limited in configuration.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

I want a Tavor..Also I want to get a really nice SKS-M, which takes AK mags, and convert it to a bullpup using the SG Works bullpup kit.

Man that would be a fun gun to shoot.

I chose a more standardized AKM pattern rifle. While I like the quality and reliability of the MAK90 I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a weapon so limited in configuration.

I got a Tavor last year, and enjoy shooting it, especially suppressed. It is back heavy, but aside from the balance, it's a good shooter. There are a few companies out there that make bullpup conversion kits for various rifles and shotguns, but I have not seen the SG kit. I remember back in the day when you could get a SKS for a song, but those days are long gone. The only reason I own a MAK90 was I got it as part of a trade, and have since had several offer on it.

BTW, I recently built an AR in 300BLK, specifically to shoot suppressed. I load my own ammo, and there is a lot of data for Whisper sub rounds. I was amazed by the similarity in ballistics in 7.62x39 and 300BLK, and chrono work matched pretty evenly(no subsonic work on the former). Just food for thought.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Slick, but man I struggle with putting synthetics on an AK or an SKS... Just doesn't look right to me without the cherry wood.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I was trained the classic maksmanship method where you wrap the sling around your arm to secute the weapon.
I bought a CBRS system for my Yugo SKS and replaced the grenade launcher with an FAL flash suppressor as it has the same thread pattern, I use the foregrip as a rest for my non shooting hand and it is a perfect fit.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Buying an AK made in the States just seems like... buying a non-American 1911!

AKs have such a bad reputation for inaccuracy but I mean quality ammo and practice fixes that!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Wouldn't this round be pretty intense for home defense? Like go through the intruder and the nearest interior wall into wiring or piping and possible the next room?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Slick, but man I struggle with putting synthetics on an AK or an SKS... Just doesn't look right to me without the cherry wood.

I agree. Worse on an SKS as they look best in wood and the synthetic stock are usually as heavy as the wood anyway.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I've heard mixed reviews on them, but nothing negative in any detail. I expected that they were probably better than the gun snobs on some of the forums gave them credit for. Given that Academy Sports is now carrying these at a halfway reasonable price, I may have to look into getting one at some point even though I'm not really in the market for an AK.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

My primary defensive firearm is my Glock 19 G4 with Trijicon RMR.

That said I have 3 30 round magazines that are loaded with soft point rounds to minimize over penetration. I'm trying to get some frangible rounds to use instead since they break up on softer barriers like internal walls and what not.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yes, but I wanted a reliable MSR. Everything on this weapon serves a purpose and is designed for modern shooting techniques. The old wood furniture it came with didn't serve those purposes.

If you look at what the Russians are doing with their AK 107 and AK12 platforms you'll see that they have also gone through a modernization phase in how they outfit their weapons.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
did century use a milled or stamped reviver on this model.
i know they are producing both.
NM going by the info i could find, it's stamped. the C39 is the milled version, the RASis stamped.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Hey burd, here is a modern Amercain Made Ak with wood furniture.

and they get good reviews.

Century Arms C39V2 AK-47: 100% American Made Perfection

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

This is a stamped model.

4150 steel barrel nitrided inside and out. Receiver is also nitrided.

Everything but the bolt and carrier is nitride finished.

join