It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Syrian temple destroyed by Isis? It looks likely.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It has been feared that Isis will destroy ancient artifacts that are honoring any god but theirs, well it appears they have done just that in Syria. Wars have destroyed history for as long as we have had wars but this is just an attempt to erase the past. What a shame.

www.nbcnews.com...

www.cnn.com...

The United Nations Institute for Training and Research said that satellite analysis confirmed that the main building at the Temple of Bel has been demolished.

"Bel Temple is a unique architectural icon, being one of the largest and most well-known temples in the ancient Near-Eastern history,"

en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-9-2015 by Bluntone22 because: Added link

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

we need to just get every one together(russia china usa nato jews and all the middle eastern nations) that are tired of this and wipe them from the face of the earth like they are doing to the historical sites in the middle east,put bounties on them put their fracking heads on pikes and line the roads from Mecca to Jerusalem with whats left of their corpses as a lesson to the next group group of upstarts that would destroy history. these animals are slavers of women and children and are committing atrocities on the level of pol pot.

and all i hear the world bitching about is planned parent hood,war on women and standard political bs of an election year in America,meanwhile people are being blown up,women and children sold like chattel and historical sites being destroyed by some evil group.

ghengis would have already ground them into the dirt and erased from history ,perhaps its time we go mongolian on them ,between us and the Russians and Saudis it could be easily accomplished

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The Taliban did a similar thing in Aghanistan and look what happened soon after.

It has gone on throughout history though, including Henry Tudor with his suppression of the English Monasteries.

It's the prerogative of the victor to determine if it fits with their philosophy or not. No one can stop them currently.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
No proof, but when it's "ISIS" who cares right?
ISIS rawwwrrrrr.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

we need to just get every one together(russia china usa nato jews and all the middle eastern nations) that are tired of this and wipe them from the face of the earth like they are doing to the historical sites in the middle east,put bounties on them put their fracking heads on pikes and line the roads from Mecca to Jerusalem with whats left of their corpses as a lesson to the next group group of upstarts that would destroy history. these animals are slavers of women and children and are committing atrocities on the level of pol pot.

and all i hear the world bitching about is planned parent hood,war on women and standard political bs of an election year in America,meanwhile people are being blown up,women and children sold like chattel and historical sites being destroyed by some evil group.

ghengis would have already ground them into the dirt and erased from history ,perhaps its time we go mongolian on them ,between us and the Russians and Saudis it could be easily accomplished

Uhhh... You're kind of sounding like them right now. They already say & do the exact things you just mentioned.

And do you have any idea how many historical sites & ruins the West has destroyed? Becoming as evil as ISIS isn't going to make the situation better.

The Western powers aren't even serious about defeating them. If they were, they'd go after their Saudi & Qatari financiers, as well as the intelligence agencies & black ops that funnel equipment to them. And of course, we'd actually go after the dealers and smugglers who transport their blood minerals, looted antiquities, and other smuggled good, toos. Instead, Western media freely promotes their videos and allows them to keep propaganda & recruitment pages on social media.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
No proof, but when it's "ISIS" who cares right?
ISIS rawwwrrrrr.

This was on the cnn link.

"Last week, ISIS published photos of its destruction of the temple of Baal Shamin, the first major structure in the ancient city of Palmyra to be destroyed."

They admitted to this temple. But you can bury your head in the sand if you want to.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Oh CNN and "they"???

Well that's proof enough for me. Lol. You guys.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

Oh CNN and "they"???

Well that's proof enough for me. Lol. You guys.

I thought only Fox News lied....ha

Here are two more sources, for a total of four.

www.bbc.com...

www.usatoday.com...

edit on 2-9-2015 by Bluntone22 because: Added links

edit on 2-9-2015 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Well, sine this couldn't possibly be fake and there is SO much evidence, you should probably change your uncertain title.
"It looks likely."

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

I am going to guess you are from the good ol US.
Might be a good idea you sort your own crap out in your own back yard before running off and saving the world.
In my opinion your country's problems are severe getting worse, start at home.

its true, you sound just like those you accuse, act the same I bet.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
always wondered why the don't get some planes up there and kill anything that moves around the temple.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
A genocide is happening to Yazidi and other Christians in the Middle East. As much as we appreciate the loss of history being destroyed, and ENTIRE ethnicity is being wiped out and the "world," up this point, hasn't given much a damn.

Couple that w/routine beheadings, crucifixions, rape and killing of women, buying and selling of children as sex slaves, and forgive me if I don't care that much about artifacts. "This" is what brings revulsion to ISIS?

Our "world"'got more excited over the Dentist and the Lion.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Absolutely an atrocious act of depravity by nothing more than religious intolerant xenophobic retarded muppets who are afraid of there own history.

Then again on the flip side it's not like us westerners are exactly innocent regarding the destruction of ancient civilisations, monuments and other archaeological artifacts.

edit on 2-9-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
What is more sad, is that they killed the 80 year old guy that dedicated 50 of his years documenting and preserving this treasure.

ISIS is nutz. Completely.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Here's how I feel about the whole situation but mostly #en ISIS

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I've been reading this morning about the destruction of antiquities by Daesh, and that they are looting the buildings prior to destruction and selling off ancient artefacts to dealers. They are destroying the buildings to hide the level of the looting and so that no-one will know what has been stolen.

www.msn.com... tandhp

“Antiquities from Palmyra are already on sale in London,” the Lebanese-French archaeologist Ms Farchakh says. “There are Syrian and Iraqi objects taken by Isis that are already in Europe. They are no longer still in Turkey where they first went – they left Turkey long ago. This destruction hides the income of Daesh [Isis] and it is selling these things before it is destroying the temples that housed them.

“It has something priceless to sell and then afterwards it destroys the site and the destruction is meant to hide the level of theft. It destroys the evidence. So no one knows what was taken beforehand – nor what was destroyed.”

It sounds like the antiquities black market is doing a roaring trade.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
And yet France allows this trade?
Something wrong with that.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

Ah! So apart from destruction and murder we also add theft to ISIS's attributes. I would be surprised if this is their only means of funding though. My instincts scream over ISIS because it seems to artificial. Its actions geared theatrically to horrify/terrify but mostly these dishonourable cretins just disgust.

The site they appear to have destroyed and obviously looted if your article is correct is www.biblicalarchaeology.org...

It is actually of immense interest and historical value. Anyone reading the comments made by Rose at the end of the main article will see immediately that one could even think vested interest were involved in getting rid of this biblical evidence. It is most likely King Soloman's actual temple (apart from a number of reasons in the article and further its location its dating etc concurs with historical fact such as its where Nebuchanazzar's campaign actually finished. What is suspicious is that this is a site that seems to have been deliberately 'overlooked' within the search for solo man's temple and probably for very good reasons, it does not fit certain necessary religious paradigms.

Tragic though this destruction is, but I can't help wondering at the ignorance of those pathetic pip squeaks who leave the UK and other places as to whom their real paymasters are.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Glinda
A genocide is happening to Yazidi and other Christians in the Middle East. As much as we appreciate the loss of history being destroyed, and ENTIRE ethnicity is being wiped out and the "world," up this point, hasn't given much a damn.

Couple that w/routine beheadings, crucifixions, rape and killing of women, buying and selling of children as sex slaves, and forgive me if I don't care that much about artifacts. "This" is what brings revulsion to ISIS?

Our "world"'got more excited over the Dentist and the Lion.

Did you know that more than 2 million Iraqi Christians fled Iraq during the US's recent War in Iraq? Their neighborhoods, businesses, and families were targeted just as much as the other Iraqis were. And 10% of the Palestinian people are Christians, most of which have fled Palestine during the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land.

If people are really concerned with the plight of Middle Eastern Christians, there are much bigger fish to fry than just ISIS. Especially when ISIS is just being used as a pretext by the Western-Wahhabi-Zionist powerbrokers. Our leaders have never cared about Middle Eastern Christians or their policies would be completely different.

top topics

join