It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy kills himself while taking Gun Selfie...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

HOUSTON -

A man posing with a gun and taking selfies was killed when the gun went off and struck him in southwest Houston, police said.

Family members said the victim is 19-year-old Deleon Alonso Smith.

Investigators said Smith was taking selfies with a gun at an apartment in the 9800 block of Forum Park Drive and Bissonnet around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday when the gun accidentally went off, shooting the 19-year-old in the throat and killing him.

www.cnn.com...

Saw this pop up and I thought to myself which will be held more to blame, the gun culture, selfie craze, gun control, social media idiocy? All the above?

I ask myself, if you are going to take such vanity photos, why not empty the gun of ammo first? Just a thought.

Instead of making that cool Instagram post, you'll be remembered as a Darwin Award winner.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Taking out the magazine was obviously above the intellect of this young man.

& the safety I'm guessing.

Responsible owners - 1
Absolute gun nuts - 0

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Thin the Herd comes to mind.

Can't wait until this selfie thing goes away.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
More food for the rest of us.
I hate to come off as insensitive, but some people really shouldn't breed.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Possible Darwin Award?
Dishonorable mention, at least?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The one selfie I'm actually interested in seeing and no pics...

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Making sure a firearm is unloaded before handling is the first lesson taught in safety classes. This is an example of a person that didn't learn or didn't care. Darwinism rears it's head again, and the OP reinforces the concept that making selfies can be detrimental to one's health.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Instead of making that cool Instagram post, you'll be remembered as a Darwin Award winner.

Or the worlds first recipient of the Narcissus award.

His parents must be tearing their hair out.

edit on 2-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I'd call him an idiot, but I don't wish to offend idiots.

I'd call him a moron, but the morons would probably get offended as well. (though they tend to stay occupied in congress)

So I'll simply say that I feel for his family who will miss him and the MENSA club he must have belonged to.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

My bet is that he was drunk on his ass or somehow mentally all ****** up.

C2H5OH and gunpowder just don't mix well.....

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Tragic loss of life but like others have said, winner of the Darwin Award? It doesn't take a genius to remove the bullets before posing with the gun, selfie's not withstanding. Every experienced gun owner will (should) check the breach for live rounds before doing something stupid.

What the hell happened to common sense? I know it's not very common anymore but damn, it seems almost exotic ATM.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Saw this pop up and I thought to myself which will be held more to blame, the gun culture, selfie craze, gun control, social media idiocy? All the above?

None of the above--blame the idiot who did it. Some people are just beyond the reach of common sense.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
... and the MENSA club he must have belonged to.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
OR?

Was it a black op team who drugged him and staged his selfies then killed him with his own gun in hope the guberment can take your guns?.

Nah he is just an idiot.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: beezzer

My bet is that he was drunk on his ass or somehow mentally all ****** up.

C2H5OH and gunpowder just don't mix well.....

Mental illness does not always equate to stupidity or inebriation.

You can be perfectly sane and still do something stupid, and there is no doubt that this was an unbelievably stupid thing to do.
edit on 2-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
maybe he was straight outta compton.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Taking out the magazine was obviously above the intellect of this young man.

& the safety I'm guessing.

Responsible owners - 1
Absolute gun nuts - 0

Taking out the magazine won't unload a semi auto. removing the magazine and clearing the chamber are required steps

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I've wanted to shoot people taking selfies, especially with a selfie stick but I didn't expect them to do it for me.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Some people are idiots with guns.

I am so scared of guns. I know how to shoot them and all that but I handle them very carefully. Unless I am pointing and aiming at something, they are pointed toward the floor. I even point them toward the floor when they are "empty". I am very, very paranoid.

I have been around idiots(one I am related to) that I will never again in my life go hunting or target practice with because of swinging the weapon around. If someone doesn't point it at the ground at all times I never trust that person again.

Why in the world would anyone in their right mind have a loaded gun anywhere near their face? Pointed toward their face?

Too much T.V.?

Guns aren't like the movies or videogames where you get shot twelve times and still manage to keep walking. One bullet to head or neck kills.

Some people are morons.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

My house was robbed years ago and my lap top was stolen. The police pulled a car over based upon some leads and caught the robber. When they searched his apartment they found my lap top. On the lap top were 3 thugs posing with guns and the other two turned out to be the accomplices in the burglary, lol.

I would question if this kid had a criminal rap sheet. Police informed me it was a common occurrence for them to find selfies of criminals or gang members posing with their guns.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join