It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More LRS-B speculation

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I still find it funny that everyone thinks there are flying prototypes when almost every article and hearing has stated the opposite. Mature designs that have been wind tunnel testing and that's about it. Which company is going to fork up the cash for a full blown prototype showcasing all their capabilities?? Too much risk...

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
We'll all be disappointed because post award we'll all be expecting to see a picture or rollout...nope. I bet it stays dark for the foreseeable future...I think an award will be made publicly but no details.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: WeOwnTheNight

I know they're flying prototypes. The articles didn't say that they haven't flown prototypes, they said they haven't flown the bomber yet. There is a difference between a prototype and the final article in every aircraft built to date.

Why wouldn't they take the risk? Lockheed built the Polecat with their own money, without there even being a competition for a new UAV. And turned around and sold several of them to the Air Force. Northrop has done the same in the past. So why wouldn't they build a flying prototype for a competition and risk it? And who said they used their own money to do it? The Air Force could quite easily hide the money for a pair of prototypes.
edit on 10/4/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

They already said when they were going to award it in June that rollout would be in October. They have to do daylight testing, so they're not even going to try to hide it.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
maybe tech demonstrators but not full blown LO OML representative types....I can see like flying sub systems on tests beds.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

No, they're flying full up, VLO, all systems prototypes. I know this for a fact. I've had far too many sources, in independent conversations tell me far too many matching details, and that's before you go look at online sources that follow things like this. There are two full up, all systems active, VLO prototypes of the bomber flying. They have been flying for almost a year.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
haha I find that very hard to believe...I guess only time will tell.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

You may find it hard to believe, but that doesn't make it false. When three or four people all tell me almost the exact same thing, completely independent from each other, at different times, then that's a pretty good sign that they're right. And when you find further confirmation online, on various message boards, of people hearing the exact same thing, that's even more confirmation.

So scoff all you want, but I'm sticking to my sources that actually know.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Borys

It's usually set from the start, but stranger things have happened. The bomber will utilize a lot of "off the shelf" components and it just so happens Northtop makes much of those components sitting on the shelf.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I have to go along with Zaphod58 on this one, there are definitely prototypes flying. Honestly, I would put my money on NG.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

The Air Force is going to name a winner to the bomber contract within the next two months. This would seam to suggest that they have already had a fly-off competition, which the Air Force said it would have IIRC.
Would the Air Force award a contract of this magnitude based only on a paper model? Not likely.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

Fair enough! That's gotta be a helluva gig - I can't imagine the tech they are working with these days.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
There is no way a government would put money on an unflown untested article.Both aircraft would have been put through the wringers to score the contract.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

So we might just catch some glimpses of these birds in the next few weeks or months? Excellent...

As far as a decision goes, what are the odds of it being rolled out like the LCS program with the Navy? Then everyone wins.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

So we might just catch some glimpses of these birds in the next few weeks or months? Excellent...

I live in So Cal and recently witnessed 2 flying wing type a/c flying South over the greater LA basin early in the morning. They flew down to the US/Mex border in San Diego, turned out to the west and circled back North along the San Clemente/Catalina basin, conning the entire time. It was pretty clear and obvious what they were. Can't wait to see the finished product.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

Yeah it's pretty incredible stuff. All the gear that seemed pretty sci-fi back in the 80s early 90s is run of the mill today. This is going to be an incredible bomber regardless of it's "affordability".

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

As far as a decision goes, what are the odds of it being rolled out like the LCS program with the Navy?

I wondered that my self. But with the budget constraints these days I think that's out of the cards. However the loosing airframe never goes to waste, it'll be recycled into something else.

I've heard we need a new stealth transport.....

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   

When you laugh and find it hard to believe in the face of reliable sources saying otherwise, you're trolling or stubborn.

Several people are saying the Amarillo craft was at least "related" to the LRSB. The air force have said this is the most thorough procurement they've ever done, and when they award they will know the location of every rivet/fastening on the final production aircraft. How do you think they managed that without even flying a demo? And as Zaphod already wrote, NM and LM easily have the funds to build their own demonstrators when there isn't even a program to fulfill, never mind when the AF are going to fund it and there is a guaranteed income stream at the end.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: aholic

I guess the general rule applies here: mature tech, COTS components and common sense mean you actually don't blow budgets and timelines. I wonder if they are adopting a low initial risk strategy coupled with much more regular and wide-ranging upgrades? We used that a few years ago in some of the stuff I did, sure beat the hell out of trying to get jaws to drop from day 1...

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I think there is a good chance we will see the winner roll out at or very near the announcement. Like Zaph mentioned, in order to really ramp up the testing phase and to stay on schedule they will need to do daylight testing and fly it more often than they are now.
They also need a shiny new toy to dangle in front of the media and the policy makers to keep the funding stream alive and to keep the negative attention off the F-35.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join