It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Did Our Conscience Evolve ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

It's true if we are raised in a culture that is barbaric, if our conscience did bother us when we were very young it would soon stop. As I said in a previous post we can scar our conscience so that it doesn't bother us anymore.
Serial killers that sleep well at night, after so many kills when they didn't after their first few.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Have you ever owned a dog? If so you should know without a doubt they have a conscience. Ever found a big pile somewhere in your house? What does your dog do when he notices that you see it? He cowers down because he KNOWS it is wrong that he did it.

"They only cower down because we have gotten angry before and we have conditioned them to act that way", well how is that any different from humans if humans only get morals from God? We're like the human God to dogs.

At least think about and research a subject before writing down definites about it. Animals certainly do have consciences. I can't stand when people think they are somehow better than animals, we're not, we are just as much animals as they are, if not more so. Look at the world we've created. How is our conscience any better than theirs?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Children start out sociopathic. They "learn" morals through social interactions( consequences both good and bad), primarily by watching the adults around them.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

There are SOOO many parallels of human behavior to various animals in the animal kingdoms, it's crazy. ESPECIALLY among other social animals. Both good and bad human behaviors can be found duplicated in other social animals throughout the world. Naturally, humans take it to a level that other animals can't match, but the core of each of those things is definitely present.

Ants enslave other ant colonies or wage war JUST like humans do. Dogs show morals. Dolphins have sex for fun. Certain apes can use tools. Denying these things' existence is just cognitive dissonance.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Conscience has evolved through trial and error since the first hominids roamed the trees. It comes from retribution carried out in retaliation to antisocial behaviour. Every anthropological stage carries the same information throughout, from Lucy onwards to modern man.

As an example of this, consider the call 'Shhhh'.

I contend this particular call has been with us since we still grouped together in trees. It is the universal call for silence, watchfulness and staying still. It is also synonymous with the sound of a snake, which, btw, was a predator to early hominids in trees.

As for animals, my cat knows right from wrong... it just ignores the difference out of pure felicity.

edit on 2/9/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

What if consciousness/soul isn't a product of evolution, but a creation?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Why can't it be both?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I'm doubtful it was a product of evolution but stand by my thoughts that it is a product of social interaction.

As for the spiritual aspect, yes, I'm sure it played a part in that if you aren't able to listen to and follow the instructions of a spiritual leader, (witch doctor, shaman, priest, whatever) you will be ostracized as non-conformist and a troublemaker.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I don't think consciousness was ever created, if anything it is the creator.

Does anything exist outside of consciousness as far as we know? How can we if anything we've ever seen or experienced has been within our conscious perception? Things aren't concrete until we look at them, until we look at them they are in a state of pure probability. Not just human consciousness but any conscious life.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

The soul is an energy that makes use of neurological path ways. Maybe there is adaptation and mutation involved in the formation of the neurological network of the brain, but how would a soul "evolve"? If a soul evolved, it would carry with it past knowledge instead of having to learn everything from birth. That would not be a very efficient form of evolution.
edit on 2-9-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: added point

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

It didn't evolve you silly Bluejay man you!

You're either born with one or you're not.
It's easy to tell those who were born with out a conscience
apart from those with one. Those who have a conscience
tend to believe in a supreme being. Someone smarter then
our dumb asses anyway. Easy peazy.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

but how would a soul "evolve"? If a soul evolved, it would carry withit past knowledge instead of having to learn everything from birth.

EXACTLY!!!!

ding ding ding!!

Reincarnation. Souls are incarnated as an ethereal form of "school." Some are newbies, some have been here a few times, some are on their hundredth time.....each of us as a learning curve.

Big high five! You got it!!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

oh, randy.
Randy, randy, randy.

You make me sad sometimes.

You know I love ya, though, no matter what.
edit on 9/2/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

That may be true for the consciousness of the Creator, who merely spoke reality into existence, but it doesn't apply to us. I want a donut, but saying the word 'donut' isn't working for me.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Those who have a conscience
tend to believe in a supreme being.

i have met a lot of assholes who attend church regularly.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

That may be true for the consciousness of the Creator, who merely spoke reality into existence, but it doesn't apply to us. I want a donut, but saying the word 'donut' isn't working for me.

is this a discussion about magic, or science?

im confused.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The creator is consciousness, remember when God told Moses to tell the Israelites that "I AM" sent him? That's a reference to God being consciousness, the "I AM".

If you want a donut bad enough you can get one. Even God had to work to create heaven and Earth. You have to work to get your donut.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

If thats true, then this must be my first round, cause I did bring any knowledge with me into this life.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I think theres more that don't go actually.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join