It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paranoid History of the GOP: How Conspiracy Theories Poisoned the Republican Party

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Conservatives are big on using fear...conspiracies make people scared, and help cement conservative thinking. I'm not on my normal computer, but there are studies I've posted before showing brains of conservatives vs. liberals are different -- conservative minded folks have a larger amygdala, which is where the "fight or flight" and emotions of fear come from. It makes sense then that conservative politicians would use fear mongering, conspiracy theories to keep themselves in office.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Actually, as I said, I think it is a jumbled mess. Sure, the headline is catchy. But the meat and potatoes of the article itself seem disjointed and weak.

That's why I asked what you all think about it.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

LOL!!! Thank you! Good to see the other side of it. I'm glad you posted that article.

The media sure does know how to do the schoolyard thing, eh?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I have seen those studies, too, Mystik. Thanks for bringing that up.

All in all, the piece in the OP seems like a hit-and-run deadline-to-meet pile of slop. Poorly edited, poorly structured, and weak all around. That's my assessment of it as a piece of "journalism". No self-respecting article writer worth his salt would submit such a thing to an intellectual-oriented publisher and expect to keep his job.

Any junior in high school could have done as well.
It's a real shame that online editors aren't a trifle more discerning in what they allow to go 'live' sometimes.

I've served as a pre-deadline editor and proof-reader for students from high school through doctorate level, and this article is "round-file" stuff. I'd have told the writer/journalist to start all over.

But, that's just my pedantic opinion. Poor writing drives me nuts.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I am not claiming it is true, or false. I am presenting it so that ATS can be aware of what is 'out there' regarding the GOP,

this sentence in the first paragraph of your opening statement, lead me to believe you wanted comments on the content not the writing style.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Both, please. I don't think writing style and content can really be separated in journalism pieces. If this is the quality of what the 'common people' are presented with - from EITHER SIDE - it's no wonder our country is such a mess.

ya know?
No wonder at all that the rest of the Western world thinks we're mentally challenged, or unbalanced, or both. Pathetic.
Embarrassing.

The United States of Embarrica. Land of the freeeaking loons! We're almost a caricature now, like lil Kim over there pitching his fit in North Korea. But we have lots bigger guns - so it's harder for the rest of the world to ignore "us." But, that's just my view.

edit on 9/2/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Both, please. I don't think writing style and content can really be separated in journalism pieces.

i see where you were asking people to deconstruct it but then you agreed with huge chunks of it, so i went with the idea you were pulling a xuenchen. hehe

edit on 2-9-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

the parts I agreed with were the Planned Parenthood smear campaign and the Reagan legacy. And that FDR did pull the country out of a horrendous episode not dissimlar to what happened in 2008 and its ongoing aftermath.

Those things happened and are happening.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

the parts I agreed with were the Planned Parenthood smear campaign and the Reagan legacy. Those things happened and are happening.

did you read the link i posted? i had a hard time reading that because it was so technical

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
double post. argh this mouse is double clicking on single clicks.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The GOP has become the weak sister of the DNC.

The problems we face as a nation have become so onerous due to the ineptitude of both GOP and DNC that to place blame on one party is weak and disingenuous.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

My daughter got her masters in journalism to go with her BS in Engineering. Her premise was to bring pertinent information to lay people in a way they could understand. Many journals ARE too technical and filled with jargon for 'lay readers' to understand, and she saw the need for better access.

Kind of like Popular Science magazine back in the 60s. My dad could read it and get it, but Mom would pick it up and look at it and realize it was WAYYYyyy over her head. Now, though, it's more accessible to general readers.

I think it's great that journalism in general has evolved to improve that, bring the general citizenry information that they are able to digest, but this article is a sloppy example of how it ought to be done. It's like the difference between The Atlantic and The Enquirer.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I agree.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Contrary to Reagan’s fantasizing, the FDR-LBJ welfare state worked—it produced the largest middle class in world history, with broadly shared prosperity that’s never been equaled since.

Exactly. The post-Depression era. FDR put millions of people to work. The Civilian Conservation Corps.... that is actually a fact.

Roosevelt's initiatives never brought the unemployent rate below 14% and if it were not for World War II they most likekly would have not come down to pre-Depression levels based on his actions only. People are quick to forget that the complete destruction of every nations manufacturing infrastructure left the United States in a historically unique position of having no competition in the heavy industry sector for some time.

edit on 2-9-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Exactly why I didnt post rhis last night, Buzzy. Was going to, then said, nah...not worth it. Glad you did, though. Some mighty fine ignorance on display already in this thread. Take a beat, people, sheesh. a reply to: BuzzyWigs

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, that's true. That's part of the Military/Industrial Complex thing. Start a wAR!! Then things will get better!

Just a little comedic relief bit:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

but did you actually read the link i posted? i am not saying i couldn't understand it, it was just mind bogglingly technical.

link   

I've been saying for years that the GOP is becoming more and more loony as time goes. The propaganda has really worked. Of course, as you can tell from the responses in this thread, some people cannot handle their precious party being criticized. And if you do, they respond with "ya, well the Left does it too".

Childish antics. Schoolyard tactics.

A complete lack of the ability to refute the claims made, so they must point the fingers back and blame the Left.

I will admit that the Left has some serious issues, but this OP, even though you believe it is poorly written, only scratched the surface of the absolute idiocy and bat# lunacy of the extreme Right wing.

link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Exactly why I didnt post rhis last night, Buzzy. Was going to, then said, nah...not worth it. Glad you did, though. Some mighty fine ignorance on display already in this thread. Take a beat, people, sheesh. a reply to: BuzzyWigs

what ignorance? point to it

link   
double post

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join