It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Service agent pleads guilty to stealing money from Silk Road dealers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

SAN FRANCISCO—Shaun Bridges, a former Secret Service agent who was investigating the Silk Road drug trafficking website, pled guilty today to charges of money laundering and obstruction of justice.

Bridges' scheme was straightforward and very profitable. After Silk Road admin Curtis Green was arrested in January 2013, he debriefed agents in Baltimore. Bridges took his admin credentials, logged in, and started locking Silk Road drug dealers out of their accounts. He then looted the accounts, grabbing about 20,000 Bitcoins, and put them into his own account.
Bridges moved the Bitcoins into his Mt. Gox account. They were worth more than $300,000 at the time of the theft. Bridges moved the money into a Fideltity account called Quantum International Investments LLC between March and May of that year. By then, the bitcoins were worth about $820,000.

Link

We see this happening with corrupt officers on the street but this seem really short sighted. I would have thought every one involved would understand how high profile this case would be and know the investigation would be in depth.

Wonder if he though he colleagues would cover up his actions or he was just not thinking it though. Hopefully he is out for the Service for good.

Sorry to think this but I can't help but believe this is not a one time thing with the service.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is great to see some justice o DEA agent Carl Mark Force IV was also charged with similar crimes after he got too deep into the Silk Road.

My guess is they thought bitcoin transactions weren't easily traced.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Have to say, not at all surprised..but more surprised he was catched. He was likely snitched on by another rogue spy. IMHO this is low life stuff, there is probably $billions gone sideways through electronic surveillance, as plain as the nose on your face.
So now we have this little caper with Bitcoin, before that it was, 'just a few guys' spying on their girlfriends, as Gen. Alexander the comedian, might say. I don't think we are going to hear about the really big stuff anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The war on drugs may well be a very lucrative money source for individuals in these professions. Many people will gladly trade some ill gotten funds for their freedom.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
The war on drugs may well be a very lucrative money source for individuals in these professions. Many people will gladly trade some ill gotten funds for their freedom.

Agreed, said it many times in posts, but I guess that's not a very PC thing to say.

top topics

join