It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures of the last British-Built Mosquito from the Abbotsford Airshow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sorry about the delay. This is beyond my abilities. I used the cell phone..

The first one is decent. The rest? Well, they speak for themselves. Better than nothing I suppose.

Still, I'm rather proud of the fact I conned my way into the cockpit of the Mossy...

This was the first and best picture:

Here's the Mosquito picts:

Lord, I hope I haven't messed this up....
edit on 1-9-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Amazing aircraft. Wish I had the chance to see one up close.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Evokes memories of 633 Squadron.

A very versatile fighter/bomber. The pics are great, thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

The owners implied there might be an interest from Her Majesty's Gov't to acquire and return her home....

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker
Envy is a sin.
But I envy you.
Thanks for posting the pics!

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Nice job on the pics.

......Lucky bugger.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Didn't DeHavilland build a plane out of plywood? Was it the mosquito?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kenzohattori69
Didn't DeHavilland build a plane out of plywood? Was it the mosquito?

Balsa wood and plywood actually.We don't build planes from that namby-pamby metal stuff here in England you know!

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The wood construction gave it some stealth characteristics against early radar, didn't it?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx From my understanding the decision to produce the Mosquito from wood was a result of the shortage of steel. Still a beautiful warbird.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Shortage of aluminium..From the pedia!!

The ministry was also considering using non-strategic materials for aircraft production, which, in 1938, had led to specification B.9/38 and the Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle medium bomber, largely constructed from spruce and plywood attached to a steel-tube frame. The idea of a small, fast bomber gained support at a much earlier stage than sometimes acknowledged though it was likely that the Air Ministry envisaged it using light alloy components.[15]

The hot spot for Mosquito restorations is New Zealand where there is at least half a dozen the getting built.All possible by a guy name Glyn Powell whos past in wooden yacht manufacture utilised the same principle to remake the mouldings for the Mosquitos fuselage construction.
Mosquito restoration

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

From the information provided by the owner/s of the Vancouver Mosquito, the N.Z. isn't a 'restoration'. Rather it was built as a new Mosquito from the ground up following the original specs. They also said that 'brand new' Mosquito was probably more original than his.

While the fuselage was in good shape, he imported a Mosquito from Mexico for the restoration.

As you posted, the new N.Z. units-one is in progress-are from the ground up as well.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

More information is available at:

gainingaltitudedocumentary.com

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Historical aircraft I would trust my butt in a new build aircraft using new materials than a 75 year old airframe anyday.Virtually every Spitfire,Mustang, P40 these days is virtually new build.Aluminium has a fatigue life and if you look at WW1 aircraft and the Mosquito sometimes there is no other choice but to go new build.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
ya aluminium, that's what I said right! Carry on, sally forth.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Here's a You Tube of the 'other' Mosquito at this year's Oshkosh airshow. Quite a few differences...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 2-9-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Apparently, 'pedia' is wrong about the metal shortage being the reason for the wood construction. de Havilland built racing monoplanes as early as the thirties out of wood.

The documentary in the video following the Oshkosh vid of the other Mossie describes the history behind the Mosquito.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Here's a You Tube of the 'other' Mosquito at this year's Oshkosh airshow. Quite a few differences...

www.youtube.com...

Yes because they are different versions..Some were low level ground attack,some were night fighters,some were light bombers (even though they could carry more of a bombload than the B17) and some were pathfinders.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Just a quickie NW,

Always was my favorite aeroplane from the war times,

Dare I say it more sexy than the Hurricane/Spitfire IMO.

Probably because there are Two of those legendary Royles Royce Merlin engines,

Ahh il think ill go have a wee lie down.

S&F

Fox.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Apparently, 'pedia' is wrong about the metal shortage being the reason for the wood construction. de Havilland built racing monoplanes as early as the thirties out of wood.

The documentary in the video following the Oshkosh vid of the other Mossie describes the history behind the Mosquito.

The reason often gets misquoted. The Mossie wasn't made of wood because of a shortage of Aluminium. It was specified that way by the Air Ministry (despite popular myth that they weren't interested) because it was feared there MAY be a shortage at some point. In the same way the Lancaster MK 2 was powered by Hercules radials just in case there should be a shortage of Merlins due to how many aircraft depended on it. Neither happened.

De Havilland were also established as experts in laminated wooden aircraft by this time. Even the large four engined Albatross airliner of 1937 was all-wood too.

There were several of these 'contingency' aircraft programmes to meet potential future needs (Miles M20 fighter as a wooden stand in for the Hurricane etc) but the Mossie is unique in being so utterly brilliant that it was outstandingly successful in its own right. It also changed RAF policy and went on to inform ALL future RAF bomber designs by going for high speed and no defensive guns, right through to the V bombers.
edit on 3-9-2015 by waynos because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join