It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This County Clerk Business...Insanity!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I love the Freedom of religion argument... somehow GLBTQ+ Equality takes away the right from someone to believe in something

Who is saying that?

The people supporting her saying that she should be able to pick and choose who she gives a marriage license to depending on what her faith says.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: KyoZero

I say we stop taking the bait. There's a concerted effort here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steven R. Shapiro, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union:
"The law is clear and the courts have spoken. The duty of public officials is to enforce the law, not place themselves above it.”
Source

I knew this would turn into a fiasco before it was over. There are protesters on both sides. Her court date is Thursday. Should be interesting to watch this case set precedent.

I can't help but laugh every time I see these ignorant fools who think their religion should override the laws of this nation. The American Taliban coming soon to a trailer park near you.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

It's the same rhetoric all day every day by SOME christians (in case folks wanna pull the whole "not all of us" argument")

It's basically "nobody's beliefs should ever supersede other people's beliefs"

***except my christian belief...that should supersede all

They don't want anyone deciding things for others SO LONG AS the decisions work in their favor. It goes back again to the sickeningly fragile their fondation must be that other people striving for equality upsets their day this much

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

A lot of people.. emphases on People not Religion.

that is what the entire fight is about, their getting their religious freedom taken away.. but what is religion? a Belief, a Faith... if they feel like they are getting that taken isn't that them saying GLBTQ+ rights are taking away someone's right to believe?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

She is a fine example of anti-American, anti-freedom, extremism. Personally, i think she should be fired, jailed for contempt, and put on the terrorist watch list due to her obvious hatred of freedom.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
A common theme throughout this thread (and one that I tend to agree with) is that this clerk should simply obey the law.

I'm curious, do those who vehemently make that claim also agree those officials running sanctuary cities be held to the same standard?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
I'm curious, do those who vehemently make that claim also agree those officials running sanctuary cities be held to the same standard?

I don't know enough about so called "sanctuary cities" to say. Debunking the Myth of Sanctuary Cities.

More than 70 cities and states across the country have adopted policies that prevent police agencies from asking community residents who have not been arrested to prove their legal immigration status. These policies do allow state and local police to report foreign-born criminals to DHS. Based on the tenets of community policing, these policies make it safe for immigrant crime victims and witnesses to report criminals to the police and help put them behind bars. Critics claim that these cities and states provide “sanctuary” to undocumented immigrants, but research shows that the opposite is true.

But THIS story is about an elected official discriminating against US citizens who pay their wages. And that's CLEARLY a violation of the Constitution. Officials "not asking for my papers" is not.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

A simple, "No, I don't hold them to the same standards" would have been an easier way to answer.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

A simple, "No, I don't hold them to the same standards" would have been an easier way to answer.

Easier, maybe, but it wouldn't have been the truth, which means quite a bit to me. I don't have an opinion on it because I don't KNOW enough to have formed one. Unlike a lot of people, I don't jump on the first bandwagon going through town. I like to gather information before making a decision.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Easier, maybe, but it wouldn't have been the truth, which means quite a bit to me. I don't have an opinion on it because I don't KNOW enough to have formed one. Unlike a lot of people, I don't jump on the first bandwagon going through town. I like to gather information before making a decision.
Taking what you say at face value, I would recommend you gather information from more than one, heavily biased source. Just my opinion though. It's a free country.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Taking what you say at face value, I would recommend you gather information from more than one, heavily biased source.

I looked at several sources. I posted that one to show YOU that there are two sides to this issue. It's not my position. Maybe you should start a thread... on THAT topic instead of hijacking this one.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

The topic, or at least one facet of it, was essentially, "People should follow the law and do their job."

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Interesting twist...

Kentucky Clerk Unknowingly Issues Marriage License to Transgender Man

On 26 February, Camryn Colen, a transgender man, and his wife, Alexis, went to Kim Davis’s office to obtain a marriage license. The clerk’s office didn’t ask to see Camryn’s birth certificate, which identifies him as female.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

funny. She's still not doing her job, viewing the birth cert is required isn't ?

I read yesterday this bint has been married four times? What a piece of work. Can they just get rid of her and stop wasting everyones times and money? It is literally ludicrous this is getting any attention and she wasn't fired.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Interesting twist...

Kentucky Clerk Unknowingly Issues Marriage License to Transgender Man

On 26 February, Camryn Colen, a transgender man, and his wife, Alexis, went to Kim Davis’s office to obtain a marriage license. The clerk’s office didn’t ask to see Camryn’s birth certificate, which identifies him as female.
HA!!!
I believe that is called.... Poetic Justice.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
funny. She's still not doing her job, viewing the birth cert is required isn't ?

She doesn't have to, but she can. Source

There is nothing in KRS Chapter 402 suggesting that the clerk can require a birth certificate from applicants.
If the clerk is to carry out the legislative mandates as to underage marriages and the required consent he or she must resort to some reasonable tactic to determine the age of applicants. Thus requiring a copy of a birth certificate or driver's license or an affidavit of the parents, a parent or the guardian as to the applicant's age would all appear to be reasonable attempts to carry out the statutory requirements

I read yesterday this bint has been married four times?

Yes, twice to the same guy.

Can they just get rid of her and stop wasting everyones times and money?

No. She's an elected official. She has to resign or be impeached. And the Republican legislature is too busy taking vacation to impeach her. LOL!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Thought you might appreciate this bit of irony.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Lots of cheering and booing outside courthouse...

Source - Live Feed

From the twitter feed on that page: Initial reports say she's in custody until she issues licenses.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis found in contempt, taken into custody after defying gay marriage order

Kim Davis, the Kentucky court clerk who has repeatedly refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, has been held in contempt and taken into federal custody.

According to multiple news reports, Davis will remain in custody until she agrees to issue the licenses.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Well, she's a nut but I admire her conviction.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

She asked for forgiveness though right?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join