It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Offer, Limited Time Only: Get You Abortion Forgiveness NOW!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
That's right folks! For a limited time only, Pope Francis is offering abortion forgiveness to women who have a had abortions, during this Holy Year of Jubilee and Mercy! Planned Parenthood employees need not apply, as this "forgiveness sale" isn't extended to those who perform abortions.

Deputy Vatican spokesman Father Ciro Benedettini said that "for now" the change would apply only during the Holy Year.

Usually only a bishop, missionary or the chief confessor of a diocese, known by the Italian term "penitenziere," can formally forgive an abortion, Benedettini said.

The pope's letter did not mention people who perform abortions.

Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions

Odd. I was under the impression that only the BIG GUY could decide whether or not, if and when to forgive sins.

Seems the Church hasn't always had the same attitude toward abortion.

St. Augustine (354-430 CE) reversed centuries of Christian teaching in Western Europe, by returning to the Aristotelian Pagan concept of "delayed ensoulment." He wrote 7 that a human soul cannot live in an unformed body. Thus, early in pregnancy, an abortion is not murder because no soul is destroyed (or, more accurately, only a vegetable or animal soul is terminated). He wrote extensively on sexual matters, teaching that the original sin of Adam and Eve are passed to each successive generation through the pleasure generated during sexual intercourse. This passed into the church's canon law. Only abortion of a more fully developed "fetus animatus" (animated fetus) was punished as murder.

St. Jerome (circa 340 - 420) wrote in a letter to Aglasia:

"The seed gradually takes shape in the uterus, and it [abortion] does not count as killing until the individual elements have acquired their external appearance and their limbs"

However, by the 7th century, birth control methods became greater sins than abortion!

Starting in the 7th century CE, a series of penitentials were written in the West. These listed an array of sins, with the penance that a person must observe as punishment for the sin. Certain "sins" which prevented conception had particularly heavy penalties. These included:

* practicing a particularly ineffective form of birth control, coitus interruptus (withdrawal of the penis prior to ejaculation)

* engaging in oral sex or anal sex

* becoming sterile by artificial means, such as by consuming sterilizing poisons.

Abortion, on the other hand, required a less serious penance. Theodore, who organized the English church, assembled a penitential about 700 CE. Oral intercourse required from 7 years to a lifetime of penance; an abortion required only 120 days.

17th TO 19th Century CE (Abortion becomes murder again):

In the 17th century, the concept of "simultaneous animation" gained acceptance within the medical and church communities in Western Europe. 9 This is the belief that an embryo acquires a soul at conception, not at 40, 80. or 116 days into gestation as the church had been teaching.

By the 19th Century, the Church had decided that a living breathing woman's life was less valuable than the fetus she carried.

Leo XIII (1878-1903):

* He issued a decree in 1884 that prohibited craniotomies. This is an unusual form of abortion used late in pregnancy and is occasionally needed to save the life of the pregnant woman.

* He issued a second decree in 1886 that prohibited all procedures that directly killed the fetus, even if done to save the woman's life. The tolerant approach to abortion which had prevailed in the Roman Catholic Church for previous centuries ended. The church required excommunication for abortions at any stage of pregnancy.

SOURCE

So, don't delay! Act now! Supplies are running out. Step up, don't be shy and get your Abortion Forgiveness TODAY!

(Unless you work for Planned Parenthood, or the like, of course)

edit on 1-9-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
LOL! I read this earlier and thought to myself how nice it would be to be able to just make up rules when I wanted....wish I was Pope cause that would be Dope!

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Only the women who has an abortion can know if God forgives her. The idea that a man can say your forgiven and God has forgiven you ties into original sin and a fallen nature.

The idea that the church has any right to say what sins are forgivable and which ones are not is ludicrous. They only teach this because they don't believe it possible to overcome willful sin. Therefore they have become self-appointed judges, weighing each sin by a different measure.

The bible says if you break even one part of the law it is though you have broken the entire law. This teaching is to show man that man is not to weigh one sin against another, because all sin leads to shame and destruction of the soul.

A man cannot remove the shame of sin from anothers mind. Repentance, wisdom and virtue are the path to overcome shame and being free from sin.

The only thing the bible allows man to say about forgiveness is this, if you repent you are forgiven, if you fail to repent God will be your judge.

Birth control when used in a marriage is not sin. Married couples are free to decide if they wish to enjoy each other physically without procreation.

I don't know if abortion is a sin, I will live that decision to the women who chooses to have one and God.

edit on 1-9-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

No, in the Catholic religion, you have to go through a priest or in this case the Pope to get forgiveness from God. They have this thing set up called confessionals. You go into a room the size of a small closet and speak through a small square vailed wall opening to a priest to confess your sins. Some are even equipped with a small privacy sliding door so the priest can listen to one person's sins on one side while the other person on the other side is waiting their turn! After he acts as a liaison between you and God, the priest decides what type of punishment you deserve in the form of penance. If you've sinned really bad, you will have to say many more Hail Mary's and Our Father's than someone whose sin was more like a Misdemeanor

It's one of many things that never really sat well with me when I was a practicing Catholic. What's even worst, you were not allowed to accept communion if your sins were not absolved by a priest ahead of time. I guess followers are not worthy enough to go directly to the big man and ask for forgiveness. Priests and the Pope are holier than thou when it comes to the Catholic religion. They sin just like you and me, and put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Ooops I didn't see this.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Never mind........

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Abortion isn't murder, never was. The Bible doesn't consider you to be a living soul untill you take your first breath. Even in the OT Law, a fetus aborted as a result of a fight, incurred a financial penalty, never the penalty for murder or involuntary manslaughter.

The Pope is full of Holy Cow Pies.

edit on 1-9-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
One more way for the Catholic church to dump guilt on women. The very act of "forgiveness" infers that a woman needs said forgiveness. How disturbing.

He wrote extensively on sexual matters, teaching that the original sin of Adam and Eve are passed to each successive generation through the pleasure generated during sexual intercourse.

Another nutcase in church leadership. Yet people actually revere these psychopaths.

edit on 9/1/2015 by Klassified because: clarify

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
"religion" is a joke.

It was created by man to explain the unknown.

First it was....I'll create a thread.

If the pope says it is allowed then we must now allow abortion?

If the pope says no abortion then we do not allow abortion?

Is this 2015 or 1520?

When did people stop thinking for themselves?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Only God can forgive. It is not the Pope's place to presume he or his priesthood has any part in that process.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It makes sense honestly.

Aren't Christian and catholic religions usually about forgiving?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is great! Shows just how much of a joke the church is. They love changing the rules and speaking for God, that's the point, imposing their own morals and doctrines in the name of God.

Abortion is not murder and the fact that some believe "forgiveness" is needed for such an act is priceless.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
It makes sense honestly.

Aren't Christian and catholic religions usually about forgiving?

Yeah but Only You can get forgiven for things you personally have done. NO ONE BUT YOU. The Pope cant bestow forgiveness but he can re admit you to paying into the catholic coffers to be un excommunicated.

Catholics need to understand that th e priest cannot forgive you(except personally for dissapointing him) of your sins. Thats tween you and the big man.no one else. Popes a hypocrite.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
On a side note: It is interesting that the Pope is doing this for a special "One Year Only" deal and it seems the Vatican recognizes Jubilee cycles.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Initially, I was against this idea. I even gave it a "faith-palm".

But the church is all about forgiveness, if that is what you want.

Key phrase there. . . . " if that is what you want."

The church already forgives those that have murdered and look for forgiveness.

Why should this be any different?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I'm curious, what were you against? Were you opposed to these women being allowed back into the good graces of the Church, or opposed to a "special" type of forgiveness for these women?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Only God can forgive. It is not the Pope's place to presume he or his priesthood has any part in that process.

So i guess you don't forgive people? Cuz that just sounds silly.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I'm curious, what were you against? Were you opposed to women being allowed back into the good graces of the Church, or opposed to a "special" type of forgiveness for these women?

For me? It was a knee-jerk reation because I'm against abortion. But someone wrote something very wise that caused me to rethink.

A humble bow to an un-named ma'am.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: ketsuko

So i guess you don't forgive people? Cuz that just sounds silly.

No, the kind of forgiveness being talked about the Pope is no human being's to give.

You and I can forgive each other and everyone else all day and night, but the Pope is talking about absolution from sin. That is, to quote Obama, above his pay grade.

It sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We seek absolution through repentance and we get that from Christ and through Him from God. The way the Pope talks, you only get that through the priesthood of the Catholic Church who apparently keep the gates to Christ.
edit on 1-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I'm still confused. Was it your "knee jerk" reaction that these women shouldn't be forgiven, shouldn't be allowed back into the good graces of the Church, because abortion is unforgivable, but you've since changed your mind? Or, that there shouldn't be any special dispensation for the sin of abortion, even though it's heinous murder, murderers are already given forgiveness?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join