It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musings about the F-117 companion

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bfirez
Anyone else have a comment on it?

THAP sounds cool if you say it. THAP! THAP! Almost as good as "Pew! Pew!"

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Yeh like the sound of a paveway or two hitting you out of the blue from 50k+ ft. agl

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

I thought Ninja's were silent

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws

When they want to.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jammin606
Decade long lurker, first time poster.

Something that occurred to me whilst reading this thread (and similar elsewhere online) is that the fact that the F-117 companion is still classified today perhaps suggests one of two things. Either, the powers that be didn't want it known so that it wouldn't be targeted and thus weaken the effectiveness of the F-117's themselves, or the shape of the companion is significant.

Perhaps additionally

1) it's still operational
2) confirmed knowledge of its existence would change enemy behaviors and give away the shape of battle plans.

Consider playing football in 1890. Surprise, one team has a forward passing quarterback, and the other can't see him and didn't know they could do that.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Yeah, never show your full hand.... Still just one peek..... please?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I take it to mean that some of the technologies or strategies used by the companion are still operationally valuable to the military. Perhaps various bits and pieces of the companion have been incorporated into other, newer birds. *shrug*

Besides, if it's an awesome platform anyway -- why give your rivals any potential help by revealing it? China and Iran seem to love copying stuff of ours. The less we willingly give them, the longer it'll take for them to catch up.

I mean we probably knew about the F-117 and B-2 publicly due to:

1. We had better stuff either operational or near operational

2. We didn't think just "showing" the shape/image of the planes would help any rivals, as they were so far behind

These days though, other countries are catching up faster -- so why bother giving them any free peeks at what we've got?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I need to go break out my old copy of skunk works by ben rich. I forget the quote but something along the lines of "What the public sees is 50 years behind where we are at, atleast." Like several people have said in the past here, some stuff is so far out people discount it as even possible.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bfirez
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I need to go break out my old copy of skunk works by ben rich. I forget the quote but something along the lines of "What the public sees is 50 years behind where we are at, atleast." Like several people have said in the past here, some stuff is so far out people discount it as even possible.

Reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

As for the book, there are a lot of interesting things said in that. Can't remember if that quote you said is in there though...
But I firmly believe there is truth in Ben Rich's statement. If you throw enough money and smart people against a problem you get results, and boy oh boy alot of money went (and still goes) into classified research and projects.
There is a reason my favourite quote is: "Nothing is impossible, it just costs more!"

edit on 1792015 by spaceman42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I take it to mean that some of the technologies or strategies used by the companion are still operationally valuable to the military. Perhaps various bits and pieces of the companion have been incorporated into other, newer birds. *shrug*

Besides, if it's an awesome platform anyway -- why give your rivals any potential help by revealing it? China and Iran seem to love copying stuff of ours. The less we willingly give them, the longer it'll take for them to catch up.

Nowadays, a target search term for hacking.

There's always a tension between showing strong capability intentionally for deterrence and political power (people naturally flock to the winner or the perceived strongest player) and reserving capability for wartime.

"We have an awesome fleet of B-3's!" --- useful politically

"BTW, the B-3 needs a TR/A-134 companion for optimal mission success" --- who needs to know?
edit on 19-9-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join