It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta-area police officer shot after responding to wrong home...whoops!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Authorities say an Atlanta-area police officer was shot and critically injured Monday night after officers responding to a call about a suspicious person showed up at the wrong house.

DeKalb County Police Chief Cedric Alexander said the officer was shot in the thigh after he and two colleagues entered a home through the back door and identified themselves. Alexander said the officer, whom he did not identify, had lost a lot of blood and was in surgery at a local hospital.

It was not immediately clear who fired the shots. It was not known if the homeowner also had a firearm.

"A lot is yet to be determined here," Alexander said. "But we did respond to the wrong residence tonight."

The chief added that the homeowner was also shot in the leg and that the homeowner's dog was killed. The homeowner's girlfriend was also there at the time of the shooting and called 911.

Source

So...cops get wrong house, enter and apparently identify themselves upon entering according to the story, proceed to kill the owners dog and get in a shootout with the owner. Though the story says they don't know if the owner was the one that shot the officer in the leg, sorry, but if someone is coming into my house at night they are going to get shot. What would keep a would be robber from identifying themselves as a police officer.

At least these guys are admitting to it being the wrong house. Bet they will think twice about it next time they get a 911 call and have no address to go on.....seems a bit stupid to me for them to have just entered a house that simply fit the description. I would bet the dog was out back so they killed it getting to the back door, the homeowner heard that, grabbed his gun and got ready for a shooting.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I would bet the dog was out back so they killed it getting to the back door, the homeowner heard that, grabbed his gun and got ready for a shooting.

The police would have been very quick to mention if the homeowner had a firearm and fired on them. The way the story is written leads me to believe the police officer shot himself in the leg, or perhaps one of the other officers did when they pulled their firearm.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I would bet the dog was out back so they killed it getting to the back door, the homeowner heard that, grabbed his gun and got ready for a shooting.

The police would have been very quick to mention if the homeowner had a firearm and fired on them. The way the story is written leads me to believe the police officer shot himself in the leg, or perhaps one of the other officers did when they pulled their firearm.

Yeah, I had thought the same thing, but if that is the case then why would they have shot the homeowner? Late at night I am usually either in sweat pants, or if in bed, in nothing, so I can't imagine the homeowner looked like a burglar. Good thing they didn't kill him.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

What would keep a would be robber from identifying themselves as a police officer.

Nothing at all.
Anyone can say that they are a cop.
Some people have gone to the trouble of getting uniforms and fake badges in order to commit crimes upon others under the guise of being a cop.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

See, I don't think they would, because they would have to admit that the homeowner was in the right, to shoot the officer.
So they will wait a bit, til the story dies down, before releasing all the facts.

I'm really getting sick of them killing all these dogs though. Cowards.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Agreed.
But they are trained to kill them.
They even shoot cats.
Very sad.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Agreed.
They even shoot cats.
Very sad.

I can understand shooting a dog, especially where they say this happened....not the best area of town and would not be surprised if the dog was aggressive. Why shoot a cat though?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

What would you suggest they do with aggressive dogs? Milk bone?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: butcherguy

Agreed.
They even shoot cats.
Very sad.

I can understand shooting a dog, especially where they say this happened....not the best area of town and would not be surprised if the dog was aggressive. Why shoot a cat though?

Maybe that's how they get their marksman badge?

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I'm buggered if I know why the girlfriend of the bloke and dead dog called 911 - must be a sucker for punishment.

I had to do a search because I am sure that this story is straight from an episode of the Keystone Cops.

Maybe it was in Idiocracy I saw it, either way - the girlfriend did not get shot so I've gotta take my hat of to the 3 amigos for not maintaining a 100% strike-rate. I wonder if they pawcuffed the dog after they killed it?

also, mandatory body cameras?

fail.....

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Tranq darts are effective enough on bears....tazer maybe? Or possibly make sure you get the correct house before killing someone's pet? Nothing in the story suggests the dog was aggressive though.....I simply said I would not be surprised because of the area of town.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I'm buggered if I know why the girlfriend of the bloke and dead dog called 911 - must be a sucker for punishment.

I had to do a search because I am sure that this story is straight from an episode of the Keystone Cops.

Maybe it was in Idiocracy I saw it, either way - the girlfriend did not get shot so I've gotta take my hat of to the 3 amigos for not maintaining a 100% strike-rate. I wonder if they pawcuffed the dog after they killed it?

also, mandatory body cameras?

fail.....

Well that's just it....she didn't call them. This was the wrong house.

Pawcuffs.....nice!

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Deals like this are the reason I've reinforced my door jambs with steel. There will be no kicking my door down in the middle of the night.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Deals like this are the reason I've reinforced my door jambs with steel. There will be no kicking my door down in the middle of the night.

No worries....I am sure a flashbang will do the trick...soon they will be throwing live grenades in just to make sure....LOL!

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Oh...but she did call them!! - see your last paragraph of the quoted text. You see, after cops entered the house and her boyfriend was shot and the dog was killed by the cops she called the cops......because cops were shooting up the place.......

(the wrong place)

edit on 1-9-2015 by Sublimecraft because: the keystone cops

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

We also have mean ass cats. My door sign says " beware of dogs, the cats are sketchy as f### too".

Seriously, they will jump off the roof and attack.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
This cop shot five kittens in one outing:
Huffington Post

She told police that when Accorti showed up, he told her that the animal shelters were full but that the cats would go to "kitty heaven." He then shot the five kittens, who were all between 8 and 10 weeks old, though the mother cat was able to flee with her life. The homeowner noted that her four children, ages 5 months to 7 years, were watching from inside the house and started screaming and crying when the shooting began. The woman said she understood the animals were going to be euthanized, but she didn't realize Accorti was going to shoot them next to her house.

NRPD Chief Mike Freeman wrote in the press release, "I have decided [Accorti's] actions were appropriate and have decided not to impose any disciplinary measures for the incident."

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Anything other than shoot them.

Trigger happy cowards.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I have a cat...I could list a thousand reasons why.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I find it hard to believe that the homeowner would be alive if he was the one who shot the officer in the leg. With more than one officer there, his threat would have been 'neutralized.'

<<   2  3  4 >>

join