It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Metaphysical Fantasy Football

page: 1

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:03 PM
Well, it's about that time of year again.

You know, the time when grown men get together and play one of the few socially permissible forms of adult make-believe.

They invest themselves fully into their own private worlds where they sit around and mull over sports statistics en route towards drafting the best possible fantasy football league. And unto that imaginary process they devote copious amounts of time and energy and money.

I know a ton of people obsessed with fantasy football, and each year they throw away hundreds of dollars for the right to huddle up and literally put days/weeks/months of research into crafting the ideal imaginary team. They put forth all that effort for the chance to win a bit of money and bragging rights until the next season.

When I see behavior like that--when I see someone investing so heavily in an activity that leads essentially nowhere along a longer timeline--I find myself examining how much effort those individuals invest in themselves.

Invariably I find myself discovering that the amount of time they put into fantasy football far exceeds the amount of time they invest in reading new books, learning new languages, meditating, doing qigong, studying useful talents, or anything designed towards improving themselves.

And invariably I find myself disappointed. Because for a lot of people, fantasy football (and sports in general) represent the biggest temporal investment they make into anything following the end of their education.

But should that really be the case?

Seriously--if you're going to spend that long studying and selecting the best combination of athletes for a totally imaginary process, you should at least be spending equal amounts of time working towards perfecting something that really matters: Yourself.

I tried having this conversation with one of my closer friends only to meet immediately psychic resistance and stronger cognitive dissonance. So I explained it to him in a different way:

"Dude, if this was metaphysical fantasy football and people drafted players by how much and fast they spiritual evolved--or how spiritually advanced they might be already--if you picked people based on their displays of kindness, altruism, compassion, selflessly, empathy, and love, in what round of the draft would someone pick you?

That gave him pause--a little, at least. And that gave him an opportunity to see things from my perspective.

Instead of waiting all year for the opportunity to play fantasy football for practically zero material gain, shouldn't we instead be spending all year long playing metaphysical fantasy football? Shouldn't we be investing the vast bulk of our time and energy (and money) towards honing our minds and improving our spirits and getting our draft position as high as possible?

Shouldn't the most effort we expend go into the activity that has the highest rate of return?

In five years, playing fantasy football will guaranteed get you five games of fantasy football. Nothing more and nothing less.

Five years of playing metaphysical fantasy football and improving yourself diligently could get you enlightenment.

It could get you a guaranteed first-string spot in heaven.

It might even earn you a place as a Celestial Avenger

Think about where you're putting your time. Consider deeply where you're investing your energy.

You could have five years of pointless fantasy football games under your belt.

Or you could use that time and energy towards perfecting your spirit and earning a place in the highest dimensional realms.

You could have an encyclopedic knowledge of football statistics.

Or you could have an endless number of perfected worlds that'd gladly welcome your presence for your next incarnation.

We each have twenty-four hours in a day--no more and no less. And where you invest your time says a lot about you.

The best people are striving towards spiritual perfection.

Too many others are reading ESPN.

This year, forget fantasy football--and start prepping yourself ceaselessly for the inevitably draft of metaphysical fantasy football.

That game is starting the instant this life ends.

By the time you get there, make sure you're a first-round pick.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 11:58 PM
Its called a Hobby,

My roommate wakes up every Saturday morning to watch ESPN, collaborate with friends, review what the experts say, and choose his picks carefully.

Hes also part of a free league so no money or gambling nonsense involved.

Its called fun. You seem like you lack in that subject?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:57 AM
All is fantasy in human reality, wether it be horror,comody,war,play. Just some fantasies/dramas feel more real than others. In your context, I guess you are saying its best to undo the fantasies we have bought in to.Eventually that is the final fantasy.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 04:43 AM
a reply to: Trachel

Fantasy football gives me and my friends endless amounts of fun and laughter with all the ribbing and slagging of each other.

Like was said above, its fun. Maybe you should try it OP, YOU might learn something

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:52 AM

originally posted by: frostie
Its called fun. You seem like you lack in that subject?

I have tons of fun and hobbies... I race cars and lift weights and rock climb for starters. But for all the time I waste on silliness, I make sure I'm putting at least an equal (or hopefully greater) amount of time towards improving myself.

That's the point of the piece: go play fantasy football if you want, but please make sure you're dedicating at least as much time doing physical/mentally/spiritually productive things playing the metaphysical "game" that really counts.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:38 AM

I understand your point now, must have missed it the first time around.

So for every shot of vodka take a shot of water

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:22 PM
agree we all could spend more time/mental energies improving ourselves.

most of us (males maybe) want something to do / accomplish in addition to our regular labors. I know of guys with quadcopters who spend hours tinkering and modifying and blogging comments on same. some recreate battles with (sometimes expensive) reproduction figures and miniatures. some play D&D in costume. all of these involve research, sometimes hours of it. I guess it's just something we like to do.
it occurs to me there's a certain amount of payoff without major risk. the cliché goes 'you get out of it what you put into it'. I have a football simulation in which I assemble teams. sometimes I'll spend hours creating a whole league and 'write up' it's history (Baltimore Comets won the first two championships, beating the Columbusaurs and the Wisconsin Winter). investing time and energy into an activity leads to satisfaction upon achievement, even if it's not 'real world'.
beats the heck out of watching hours of tv, monitoring Kardashians and Hillary's campaign.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:43 PM

originally posted by: frostie

I understand your point now, must have missed it the first time around.

So for every shot of vodka take a shot of water

Absolutely. I'm 100% for having fun at something--just gotta balance it out with super-productive activities too.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:52 PM
Yeah, fantasy football. I don't get it either. I know there's a social aspect to it and if the participation and socialization is worth it, then hey it's a benign pastime. Like anything, people can take it to extremes much to their detriment.

I never could get caught up in it because it's too tedious for me and actually, I'm too much of a fan. I couldn't pick a team of players league-wide and then find myself hoping some 'enemy' player has a good outing against my RL home team for fantasy points.

I do have one activity I probably devote way too much time to for no material gain. In fact you're observing me participating in it right now.

top topics