It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mentally-ill man jailed 4 months for stealing $5 of snacks dies in cell

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

Yeah people force themselves to be sick all the time on wards...

But it really depends if you take oral medication (pill or liquid) or depot (injection).
The ratio is pretty even, if slightly edging towards more pill takers.

But consistent refusal or suspicions of throwing up will just lead to a new form of drug.

*on the ward*

Off the ward nobody gives a s# if people take their meds or not, some of the time.
I've been out since early May and haven't had a single person make sure I'm keeping up with meds.

If I was on the ward the regimen would be strictly enforced.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

originally posted by: Kali74

You send him to the hospital and let medical professionals deal with it.

I would guess it would have to be noticed first. Don't know if weigh in are done or not. Or anything to track weight. Not sure guards or whoever would notice weight loss for one person coming in contact with so many. Sure details will emerge.

In jail probably not.
They probably don't even have the equipment for the daily check ups.

Here's a breakdown of how my time went...

Admitted:
1st day;
Blood test, diabetes/blood sugar level test, weight, height and heart rate checked...
Then following days;
Diabetes/blood sugar level test, weight and heart rate checked.

This is continued until discharge.

*in London, can't speak for the States but I assume these basics are similar if not identical.

edit on 31-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
One thing I find weird about this story is the sentence, or lack of sentence.... For a petty theft he shouldn't even be in jail, it's a fine as far as I know. Even a 2nd offense is 30 day minimum with 12 max, so how did such a minor offense get him in there for 4 months without a sentence?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: jheated5

How could they take care of him when he was sent back to jail?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Man sent to jail for stealing food to eat and literally starves to death in jail.

This is a headline I expect from North Korea not North America.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
As far as force feeding goes... he was not suffering from an eating disorder, nor was he a political prisoner attempting to make a statement. It should have been noticed that he was not eating. He shouldn't have been in jail to begin with.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

You send him to the hospital and let medical professionals deal with it.

I would guess it would have to be noticed first. Don't know if weigh in are done or not. Or anything to track weight. Not sure guards or whoever would notice weight loss for one person coming in contact with so many. Sure details will emerge.

In jail probably not.
They probably don't even have the equipment for the daily check ups.

Here's a breakdown of how my time went...

Admitted:
1st day;
Blood test, diabetes/blood sugar level test, weight, height and heart rate checked...
Then following days;
Diabetes/blood sugar level test, weight and heart rate checked.

This is continued until discharge.

*in London, can't speak for the States but I assume these basics are similar if not identical.

Makes sense, not sure the issue was people in jail let him die as much as lack of beds in the mental facility or even 4 months for 5 worth of food. I understand the end result in jail. That seems to be the result but not necessarily the cause.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Man sent to jail for stealing food to eat and literally starves to death in jail.

It doesn't make sense. Hungry enough to be stealing food, yet not eating when served food? It makes you wonder if he was served food? I mean, hunger is a drive.

I don't get it.

I guess the stress of being in jail could have caused loss of appetite.

edit on 8/31/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Delusions and paranoia about poisoned food (very schizophrenic trait) is much more likely.

Should have been noticed though.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

As far as force feeding goes... he was not suffering from an eating disorder, nor was he a political prisoner attempting to make a statement. It should have been noticed that he was not eating. He shouldn't have been in jail to begin with.

Great, but dealing with all those people it's not realistic to expect it would be noticed unless some type of weigh in of inmates takes place. His aunt seems to be saying he starved because he refused to take his medicine...ie could very well be eating disorder.

You might have a point on being in jail but don't know what the law in Virginia is, don't know if homeless status had anything to do with it etc. But again. The issue seems to be lack of beds, laws pertaining to punishment. More so than he died in jail.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: angeldoll

Delusions and paranoia about poisoned food (very schizophrenic trait) is much more likely.

Should have been noticed though.

I thought about that too -- the stress aggravating the schizophrenia. There is no way around the negligence, though, you're right.
edit on 8/31/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Regardless of how he got to that cell the fact he was there and the way he left it
is criminal negligence on the part of the prison detaining him.

Several people aught to be getting fired at the very least or better
charged with whatever the US charges one with when they by inaction
allow another to die when they could have prevented it.

for a first world country the US has a 3rd world prison system it is disgusting!

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

at least his death has been reported, there are many 'dangerous criminals' that are locked up today and might not make it out and doesnt get reported to the public, and if he was bipolar he should have been getting better 'observation' for unusual behaviors like not eating meals etc, something definitely wrong here
edit on 31-8-2015 by blacktie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The system is rigged down to every little piece. My own personal observations of the correctional officers I have encountered during the few times I have been to booking are not very flattering. I noticed that a lot of them tend to be overweight, not that intelligent, lazy, uncaring and blindly obedient to masters orders. It is almost as if those qualities are looked for in candidates, you also have the supervisors of which I made eye contact with one once as he was telling his higher how the inmate broke his nose when he "fell on the ground" and how they so nobly helped him up. I could see the evil and sadism in that mans eyes.

I have always been a very observant and empathetic person almost to the point of seeing actual aura's about people. Occasionally you may find a "cool" CO here and there but usually they do not last long because they do not have the stomach for what the state requires of you. One of my biggest fears is being locked up long term and not being given my prescription meds due to the lazy uncaring attitude of state employees. The last time I was there I kept asking about my meds and had they arrived at the jail and never received an answer. It was not until I was released that I found out they were still in the possession of one of my arresting officers ACROSS THE EFFING STREET. Literally a 5 minute walk and yet they had not found their way to where they needed to be. Hey not their problem right, I shouldn't have broke the law so who cares if I die or suffer.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is so sad!

Unfortunately it's all about that money honey. BIG money maker!!

The judges imo get kickbacks for "programs" and that's just the tip of the ice berg.

My husband is in jail right now. He isn't a criminal and he too has mental health issues.

Our attorney was paid good to do nothing, be unprepared, and my husbands 3 yr. probation got turned into a 3 year sentence. It was from an aggravated assault charge 2 1/2 years ago!

Our system is made up of greed.... No one wan'ts to help the mentally ill when they can make money off of them.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

This is really sad and breaks my heart.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

So should they have force Fed him?

No, they should have had him in a mental health facility where he could get the treatment he needed. The place was not fit for him with his condition.

It's no secret jail food is nasty. If you aren't getting commissary then your stomach is sucking on your back bone. For someone with his condition though I can see how it spiraled. Inmates actually do believe (here in our jails anyway) the food is poisoned or the medication they give them could be tainted.

Guards don't care nor they do understand these inmates are human. They get locked out of their cells and can't use the restroom and even worse... sexual harassment.

Crazy as it sounds... I had my debit card info stolen and these people were able to buy items online, rent a hotel, order take out and I had the cops meet me at the hotel where i knew they were staying with MY MONEY and do you know they can't arrest them until the report is filed and tomorrow I can go and take out a warrant. They will be long gone. Criminals.... and they can walk free. My husband didn't piss in a cup and he has to spend 9 months in jail? WTH??

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

for a first world country the US has a 3rd world prison system it is disgusting!

This statement is so true I wanted to post it again!

It's so disgusting! Since July 15th I have experienced what it's like to have a part of me locked up. My husband and I are best friends. I am up and down back in forth in a deep depression. He isn't a criminal and doesn't deserve to be treated like one... even worse....an animal. They aren't treated good by no means. It has my heart into pieces.

We have spent so much money on a worthless attorney, commissary, 10 a week for snack machine when I visit each week, about a 150 a week in phone calls and that's not counting court fees that will need to be paid. Our lives are ripped apart over him having violating aggravated assault probation charge from 2 1/2 years ago.

I never realized how messed up our justice system was until I experienced it first hand.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Before we jump tp conclusions, perhaps we should wait on an official cause of death?

Second line.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Stories like this or hearing old people dying unattended in corridors of hospitals are some of the worst for me.
In this day and age in civilsied society. it should never happen.
The fact that it happened at a jail is unbelievable, you're locked in, under their care and this happens.

Some head should roll.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join