It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama renames Mt McKinley.....Wait, what!??!?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Uhhh.. yeah Everest isn't a common word in Tibet and Nepal. That's why the mountain has different names in those countries. It's Everest to the western world.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
Did Abe Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson go on hikes together in the black hills of South Dakota?
you can see where my analogy is going....

Simpler analogy:
Did George Washington have a vacation home on the west coast....????
You know, that area above Oregon and California

-Christosterone

By establishing a state of Washington, Congress belatedly fulfilled a century-old wish of the late Thomas Jefferson. In 1784, a Jefferson-chaired committee suggested that Congress divide the Northwest Territory into 10 states, for which Jefferson suggested names. Most of modern-day Ohio was to be called Washington state. (Washington, D.C., didn’t exist at the time, so the name wouldn’t have been duplicative.) Incidentally, if Congress had accepted Jefferson’s naming scheme in its entirety, modern-day Michiganders would be living in either Metropotamia or Chersonesus, depending on their location. People in southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois would be residents of Assenispia.

There is a reason certain historical leaders are referred to as "The Founding Fathers", although, I can't remember McKinley being among them.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

How many mountains have native American names? Oh.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: wayforward

How many mountains have native American names? Oh.

Probably all of them before their land was invaded.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The newest thing is a meme circulating claiming that "Denali" is some kind Obama conspiracy:

After President Obama decided to rename Mount McKinley to Denali, a meme spread across Facebook timelines alleging that “Denali” was a “Kenyan word” for black power. Unfortunately, this rumor was not true. (The majority of Kenyans speak Swahili and English—not Kenyan, which is not a real language; Denali is an Athabascan word that means “the high one.”)

Link

Sadly, I have a feeling a lot of people are going to believe it because the want to believe.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Jesus the stupid, it burns!

I'm just glad nothing bad has happened to him while visiting our state. Seriously, this guy survived campaigning in some of most racist states in the Union and made it through without being shot, but I keep waiting for some hick from Wasilla to come guns blazing on him.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

It was a jest.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
People are pissed because it was another thing Obama did to assert his absolute power, its not just this , its his track record of doing so........

Look most people dont care that he renamed it, being native american myself, its nice that it got its name back.......

That being said again , it was his show of "I do what I want" that has people irritated, in the scheme of things, of COURSE its not a huge deal

And please, Stop with the "McKinley never even visited" The guy was dead......so......yeah....

Pretty hard to visit somwhere when you lack a pulse.........

...Unless youre a vampire..........or George Soros.......whatever same thing
edit on 9/2/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

yeah.....thats pretty damn stupid lol

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

But it wasn't just him waking up one day and doing it.

Also he didn't bypass anyone or anything to do it, the secretary of the interior has the power to do so.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

But it wasn't just him waking up one day and doing it.

Also he didn't bypass anyone or anything to do it, the secretary of the interior has the power to do so.

Considering you usually go through congress to do something like this, Yes he did bypass them

Then again, he has a history of doing so........and thats kind of the point of the outrage

His EGO is what the outrage is over

again , is it trivial in the scope of things, sure, but its indicative of his Messianic complex, like Trump
edit on 9/2/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

You are right, it is rather trivial which is why it is funny to see so many people up in arms about it

But another law passed in 1947 gives the Secretary of the Interior and the Board on Geographic Names the power to "provide for uniformity in geographic nomenclature and orthography throughout the federal government."

Forgot to get the source copied but it is a USA today article.

Maybe he should have gone through Congress, but he didn't have to. So he may have skipped a customary step, but not a required one.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Oh, I'm sorry, it was named after McKinley in 1917, apparently in sympathy for the assassinated President. He didn't have anything to do with it, we bought Alaska in 1867.

en.wikipedia.org...

a reply to: Annee

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
? Isn't the term Denali a military or government code?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is a non issue. Plenty of things to get upset at the President for....regarding policy, but renaming a mountain that should have had this name anyway isn't an issue. He should have done this. Heck, even most officials in Alaska wanted this, they were basically calling it that anyway.

Find something else to rage about. Real policy though, not all this talk radio outrage stuff. Stop listening to Rush Limbaugh. LOL

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Glad to hear it. You had me a little worried.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Locally and personally I don't see it as a big deal to rename the mountain. The change will be honoring natives in name of our nation's largest mountain. As well as won't be confusing for many in the Pacific NW anyway, Continental US North Westerners think of Alaska when they hear it and such as used in products. Denali Borough, National Nark, etc., it's used a lot in the area of the mountain. In those ways it is familiar.

Similar to what it would be with Rainier, if the calls to rename it Tacoma happens. It's even more known-US wise. News says officials are rejecting that.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Sorry I don't mean to steal your thunder, anyone who may have mentioned what I'm about to say. Just too early to read all posts but will later. Wanted to say something now though, we had a similar situation happen in Arizona a few years back with one of the several "mountains" WITHIN the mountains that create the valley of what is the Phoenix Metropolitan area...if you're familiar with the valley, you know it's a valley made from the massive systems to the NE, E and SE- Four Peaks to the NE and the Superstition Mountains to the east/SE, and some hills and medium sized single peaks frame the much less majestic Western half- South Mountain, Estrella and White Tank to the west, and North Mountain/McDowell Mt. to the north.

Well, inside this border are a few hills/peaks which give a very much-needed break to the flatter than flat topography and are hot real estate (if you know PHX, you know what the appeal is of living at SouthMt. near the point, on McDowell Mountain, at Pinnacle Peak, or in the most famous area even people not familiar with phx know by name- that is the Scottsdale/Biltmore border at Camelback Mountain northwest to the mega mansions of Paradise Valley where until just two or three years ago
we enjoyed 60 years of Stephanie Nicks taking up residence in this area)

SQUAW PEAK is the second highest of Phoenix's mountains which along with Camelback, the highest, make up this prime real estate area. However, Squaw Tit Mountain or Squaw Peak which had been its name over a century at the least (no written record before) was offensive to some or most Native Americans. The debate over touching the name or letting it be went on for ages for several reasons. The Pima tribe from the area had an old name for it which translated to Iron Mountain so everyone thought it'd be an easy fix. Problem was in the end the tribe couldn't prove Iron Mountain was the traditional name of Squaw Peak since a few steps away was a different mountaintop the State of AZ argued was possibly Iron Mountain and the Pima were mistaken. Personally, I found this just as offensive. They say that's been Iron Mountain forever why second guess their still-living culture that compared to before the relocation and trail of tears era is left in pieces? But the Pima resolution was struck down for good.

The problem went further because the etymology of the word Squaw was pushed by Oprah Winfrey and two or three Native American linguists as being traced back to Algonquin/Mohawk Quebec or Massachusetts area tribes either meaning vagina or a derogatory word for a woman. No matter where in the US a tribe has a similar word, the word must mean vagina said this very weak argument pushed by media and supposed experts. In Navajo, Squaw was used just to identify a type of dance. But what IS well documented is white settlers did indeed spread the word Squaw amongst themselves to refer to a Native woman as they would call a black woman a negro or worse, some saying it referred to Squaw like this Native B!&$# or Indian P#$$@. So then it was "Is it offensive when etymology supposedly says it's a word from 3000 miles away? Is it enough that it became an English derogatory term?" This made saying NO WAY to Iron Mountain even more ridiculous to me since the answers were obvious so why nobody was allowing action was silly.

When Napolitano became governor (tee hee eeeek) a Navajo girl had just died in military service and was the first to do so. Although this provided a beautiful resolution I feel since she was from a local tribe, a Phonecian, and being the first female native killed gave poetic justice to the idea the name was anti woman but could now memorialize a woman, I gotta say it's one thing Napolitano did that she can be proud of (IMHO though her work post 9-11 put her in bed with the false flag murderers), she was unpopular amongst many for trying to force the renaming on local non responsible persons since she refused to wait the five year period needed to rename natural landmarks. Wrong people to push but I do think it's better this was one thing in the US that was resolved as soon as a resolution appeared and the state passed the renaming and let the Federal entities know to wait their five years and change it, as far as AZ is concerned it's already Piestewa Peak (Lorie Piestewa was the girl KIA).

Why did I post this? I dunno, the reasons for renaming behind the two are apples and oranges. I do find it strange though that as a state AZ was asked to jump thru hoops then wait when a unanimous decision was made but in AK where there's a larger gap in those for and against have no five year wait or anything but Obama just goes and speaks and it is so. I know the movement came from the people of AK especially the natives not Obama but why such different steps taken to see the change? And I don't think Obama did anything wrong here (for once) but is there an executive privilege at play I'm unaware of? DID they wait five yrs? I'll wake up later and answer my questions but in case anyone cared, there u go. A comparable story from just a few yrs back.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I have no clue how Everest has anything to do with Denali but good on Obama for making this official.
Now if we can only get My. Diablo renamed Tuyshtak or Supemenenu.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

So what does "The Great One" mean in Islamic languages? I would suspect God. So back to square one as to the inference that Obama sends out to Islam by changing the Name of a Great mountain.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join