It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slain Virginia reporter's father vows to fight for gun control

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Andy Parker says "they messed with the wrong family" this time when it comes to somebody shooting somebody else.

On CNN last night he had some pretty spectacular sound bites. And by spectacular I don't mean I agree with him, but high profile. He's said that he wants to take a "leading role in closing loopholes" and tightening gun control. According to him he's already rubbing elbows with other high profile gun control advocates.

I will give him credit for recognizing there's a mental health issue here. But he's coming off a little puffed up and narcissistic about things now. I won't quote him here but the last line in the article made me raise an eyebrow. He apparently thinks this event is more important and bigger and less easily forgotten than Aurora and Sandy Hook. On the one hand I understand it because it's his daughter this time. On the other hand...

C'mon guy

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

But he's coming off a little puffed up and narcissistic about things now. I won't quote him here but the last line in the article made me raise an eyebrow. He apparently thinks this event is more important and bigger and less easily forgotten than Aurora and Sandy Hook. On the one hand I understand it because it's his daughter this time. On the other hand...

C'mon guy

His daughter just got murdered on live TV and he's now on a mission, fueled by grief.

Best to give the guy a break

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I am sure that he will become the next face in the fight for gun control, I can not wait to see him next to the president talking about the issue.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I see both sides of the gun issue, but have no strong opinions either way. Unstable people shouldn't have weapons. How to get there, I have no idea. However, this man was on a mission when he planned this. I wish none of this would have happened and I feel so bad for the families. I just keep thinking that a gun maybe was better than being hacked to death with a knife of some kind. If this unstable man was determined to do this, would he not have found a different weapon if a gun was unavailable?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Grieving is fine, don't have a problem with that at all and completely understand it.

Spending more time talking about gun control than his recently murdered daughter is what bothers me.

link   
Being a strong supporter of the second amendment, I disagree with any view/action that would taint that right or outright do away with it for the non criminal element. However, as a parent I can only imagine that this is the glue that is currently holding this father together enough to get through these early days and weeks after his tragic loss.

And lastly... Never let a good crisis go to waste. There will be no end to the folks who will contact this man, more than eager to use his daughter's death for their own agendas.

The whole situation is just terribly tragic all the way around.
edit on 8/31/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

link   

"But I think people recognizing who the victim was and what she represented and how kind and sweet and innocent she was, I think this time it's going to be different," he said.

What I think is different in this case is that we had a disturbed individual that wanted to cry out for attention, and did so by posting his acts on social media. People are going to kill each other, for a wide variety of reasons and with a wide variety of weapons to choose from, but I think the focus needs to be on how our society has become narcissistic and that we look to social media to be the outlet in which we define ourselves.

There are many other issues other than gun control that he could be addressing that would make a bigger difference.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

He lost his daughter, this is how some people deal with grief by attacking what took their loved one away. The mental health issue is valid and it may be the only avenue worth exploring.

Gun accessibility (legal) isn't likely to change anytime soon if ever in this country, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This poor guy.

I bet he is "rubbing elbows"....with people who have latched on to exploit his families tragedy to further a political agenda.

Its sickening. It really is.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Is understandable that the man is grieving, but this also opens the door for those behind gun control to use him if he is willing to be allowed to be used to pursue agendas.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Here we go again...deflecting the real problem...that of people that have a violent criminal mentality and self-hatred. Gun control laws will not prevent someone with a criminal mentality from getting their hands on a gun. Thugs sell them all day long. Laws don't matter to them.
edit on 31-8-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
"This time it's different because it impacted ME!"
sorry to be the cynic but that's all i can say.
every unnecessary death is a tragedy, but this time it isn't empirically different.
Just different because it hurt you personally

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

The only question I would have is what kind of research did he do prior and since the horrible incident?
Or does having a loved one killed via gun automatically make him an expert?

I do feel for the guy. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a child.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I bet he is "rubbing elbows"....with people who have latched on to exploit his families tragedy to further a political agenda.

While that is sad, it won't change anything. If Sandyhook didn't sway this country on gun control, nothing ever will.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I made a thread on Saturday about this father's anti-gun mission. He is a clueless tool who needs to be rebuked in my opinion.

I especially like this zinger:

He also doesn't see why civilians need assault weapons: "Who the hell needs a machine gun to go hunt?"

This guy is a clueless moron, and should step away from the topic on hand, be cause he isn't doing his cause a good service.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
It's not just about the guns....
it's not just about the mental health issues the perp had...
It's also not just about the call for 10,000 black men to kill 'our killers' (the white folks) by Louis Farrakhan from a (Florida , Christian) Church Pulpit

Hate Speech unrestrained caused the shooter with a psychotic, racial chip-on-his-shoulder, to video record the killing on his cell phone ~ if it wasn't a gun it could have been a grenade or a homemade pipe-bomb to commit his intended killings he was inspired and committed to do (I guess he was going to email the cell phone video to the Nation of Islam leader to show he was one of the 10,000 black men called out to fix society ??

see:
www.infowars.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on st31144102912431522015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

as well it shouldn't.

guns are not the problem. the problem is people wanting to kill other people. The whole "but it makes it easier" argument is a slippery slope fallacy.

But, like i said, exploiting extraordinary events to promote a political agenda is sickening.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I especially like how he is teaming up with Gabby Gifford's husband. That fool should live out the rest of his days on the ISS because this world doesn't need his buffoonery.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Good luck on that front. Won't happen, wouldn't help if it did, maybe next congress

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I liken many of the anti gun crowd to Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and others. Tragedy for profit. Splash someone's grief all over the news and twist it to fit their own agenda.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join