It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth about UFOs by the US Government

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

It still isn't always safe to tell people you have been abducted. I've heard of people that admitted to a spouse they were abducted by aliens and then the spouse went to court and won a child custody fight she initiated after hearing the admission about aliens. Courts and judges and of course mental health professionals can't afford to believe in anything like this no matter how true they are. Morals and truth always take a back seat to a threat to peoples jobs and livelihood.

Very few mental health professionals will accept it as anything other than a disorder of the mind, so anyone admitting many controversial things can have those things used against them by someone they believed they could trust, who doesn't care if it is true, and doesn't have the morals not to use the information to destroy them, even a spouse, for gain and profit.

Now that is what is actually sick in the mind to do that to exploit someone, don't you think? But that is how a whole lot of people are, even mainstream citizens. And the main stream mental health professionals will give that person a clean bill of health, no problem.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed
I know you chose not to respond to my last reply but I have to ask. How do you get

So whenever witnesses who witness things you never believed in the first place report these things, you relegate them all to misidentification or hallucination?

Yes, people can see things that aren't there. People can remember things that never happened...
Honestly, if you have a direct quote from someone that is qualified to to rule out misperceptions or any other related phenomenon, let me know.

??
How do you know what I "believe in the first place"? Did you ever ask me? Or is it easier to just assume what my "core" beliefs are?

You aren't the first person to basically make up stuff that I didn't even come close to saying.

So again, I'm stating some facts: People can see things that aren't there. People can grossly misinterpret their perceptions. This has been well established. People can also remember things that never happened. This has been researched and is widely accepted. This has nothing to do with UFO sightings and stands on its own. If you need references or links, that can be provided easily. Agree or disagree?

Can you or strumpets provide a link or a quote from Hynek? Is there anyone in psychology or any other related field that can support this idea that you and others have? How are we to rule out well known psychological phenomena that are defined by how what happens inside peoples heads is confused with reality?

My personal gut feeling is that there IS something to this but its buried under a lot of misconceptions. Why does trying to understand this aspect of the phenomenon cause people to misunderstand basic concepts so grossly?

I understand its a lot easier to just make up stuff. Is it wrong to ask questions? And please note that I have not even come close to relegating "all" or even one sighting to a hallucination. I have no problem with people believing whatever they want. Its an unknown phenomenon and is open to interpretation. I am even embracing that people like scdfa have personal knowledge of this phenomenon. If anything, I am advocate for people understanding their personal experiences the way they want, myself included.

edit on 11-9-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think I agree with most of what you are saying here.

It still isn't always safe to tell people you have been abducted. I've heard of people that admitted to a spouse they were abducted by aliens and then the spouse went to court and won a child custody fight she initiated after hearing the admission about aliens. Courts and judges and of course mental health professionals can't afford to believe in anything like this no matter how true they are. Morals and truth always take a back seat to a threat to peoples jobs and livelihood.

If there is documentation on such court cases, I would be interested. I believe that that could be very true. I came across one case where a parent was losing custody of a child due to her involvement with the church of subgenius...which is basically an ongoing gag. Its a subject that is hard to bring up at dinner. That's for sure.

Very few mental health professionals will accept it as anything other than a disorder of the mind, so anyone admitting many controversial things can have those things used against them by someone they believed they could trust, who doesn't care if it is true, and doesn't have the morals not to use the information to destroy them, even a spouse, for gain and profit.

This is true. However, psychologists are bound by a code of ethics and can't reveal such information unless the person could do harm to them self or others. They lose their license to practice otherwise. This is also the problem with going outside of psychology to abduction researchers. There is no code of ethics to follow and no license to lose. I dont really want to get into that but the real issue is that people with experiences have no where to really go. Psychologists only know the stuff in the DSM...and psychologists are annoying on top of that. I was married to one so I know.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

It still isn't always safe to tell people you have been abducted. I've heard of people that admitted to a spouse they were abducted by aliens and then the spouse went to court and won a child custody fight she initiated after hearing the admission about aliens.

Absolutely right on the money. I have heard this case discussed as well.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join