It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandonware...does anyone else know what this is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I have recently been getting into abandonware games. For those that don't know, they are old games that have been 'forgotten' and uploaded to the internet for you to download. I've managed to get Quake and Red Baron (both excellent), and was wondering if other people were into this.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I used to be, DOSBox is helpful for a lot of old classics.

Enjoy your games!

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Robotron 2084 is one of my favorite games ever. Somehow it faded away. I challenge anyone to a duel.
I, unofficially, have the 16th all time high score.
I remember really digging Red Baron, too.
Pumped a lot of quarters into those machines when i was a kid.
Every yard on the block was very well manicured.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Yup! Some great sites out there for this but nothing beats hitting a flea market or yard sale and grabbing a physical copy. Not just games either.

Old office suites, audio & video apps etc. Still highly functional, practical for modern use!
Picked up an old copy of Corel Wordperfect Suite 8, Office 97 for $2 each as well as a boxed Cubase 3 with manuals & dongle for $5 a couple weeks ago.

We've got all the power in the world on modern desktops but there's too much going on much of the time. Firing up an old dos/windows computer and actually doing one thing at a time is pretty neat. Possibly more productive, too.

Long live abandonware!

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Games that companies have let property rights expire on. Several good sites out there for fun old games. Dont forget to get DOS-Box and the original Wasteland
edit on 31-8-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

Google Underdogs abandonware (they have literally 1000s if not 10s of thousands)
edit on 31-8-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Robotron 2084 is one of my favorite games ever. Somehow it faded away. I challenge anyone to a duel.

I loved Robotron 2084!

I defer to your skill. I was never very good at it, but man! Two joysticks and the ability to move forward and fire backward. Feathering the shots from your weapon between two coordinates and getting twice the rounds, in multiple directions at once. That action, that speed, those endless swarms of enemies!

These days for AbondonWare I play the greatest game of all time. "Masters of Magic". It's got all the abondonware features... it's too hard, and has tons of replayability. Picture a fantasy version of old Civilization but with endless options to enchant items and create your own superheros.

I actually have an original box set with CD and booklets, but I download and use the DoxBox abandonware versions.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 31-8-2015 by mikegrouchy because: memory

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy
The trick to scoring high...this is some esoteric stuff...It all happens at the Brainbot screen.
Protect the Little Timmys with all of your skills. Let the Mommies and Daddies go.
The Brainbots don't start firing their seekers until the first Timmy gets killed. This is where you rack up the big points.
See you at the kill-screen.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
a reply to: mikegrouchy
The trick to scoring high...this is some esoteric stuff...It all happens at the Brainbot screen.
Protect the Little Timmys with all of your skills. Let the Mommies and Daddies go.
The Brainbots don't start firing their seekers until the first Timmy gets killed. This is where you rack up the big points.
See you at the kill-screen.

D'oh!

I don't .. even ....

That makes so much sense.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 31-8-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: grimfandango

they're probably good games. Nice to try some classic games from time to time.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: grimfandango

Just recently I played DOT (Day of Tentacle) a wonderful game.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
LOVE the old games.
My Mom still has the NES we played on and all the games that went with it. I still hook it up every once in a while when we visit. My son is a gamer, has 3 different systems and racks of games for each, but he still like to play that old one and downloads old games from the net.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Someone knows that old dos-game where you are a biker and at some point you have to jump over a broken bridge after fighting with chains on a motorcycle againts other bikers on a road with high cliffs on each side? I´m not sure if it used scumm engine or not...

edit: found it: Full Throttle for 1995 and it used scumm.
edit on 31-8-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

Enjoy your games!

DosBox is invaluable. I use it so I can play my physical copy of X-wing, which is 20 years old this year. Happy 20th X-wing!

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm all for abandonware accessibility. However, I wouldn't consider Quake abandonware (unless there's an earlier game by that title I'm unfamiliar with.) Quake is available to buy on both Steam and GOG, and has plenty of user support for help getting it running well on modern systems.

When a game isn't available through an acceptable format anymore though, then I do fully support the availability of abandonware for free for users.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Heh,of course..lucasarts/sierra games are must a If you're a point and click gamer..Good memories of playing maniac mansion/monkey Island series/kings quest etc..This is a good site if anybody interested in old school P&C adventure www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

originally posted by: Elton

Enjoy your games!

DosBox is invaluable. I use it so I can play my physical copy of X-wing, which is 20 years old this year. Happy 20th X-wing!

DOSbox indeed is quiet a nifty little program. It even supports screen capturing from those old games.

Tom

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Darkseed. I think you can find the sequel in the abandonware sites as well. Kind of an old Lucasarts/Sierra type game. They may not be the best games in the world but the aesthetic is pretty cool. H. R. Giger designs were used for the dark "mirrorworld" sections of the game. The sequel is pretty good too and has some great cheesy voice work.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I've been playing with abandonware for years.
Some of the best games were old dos games, and now older windows games.

Not sure if I can or cannot link to sites, but look up the offical abandonware ring,
it has over 100 sites listed dedicated to preserving the old school games.
All rated, all updates get listed,
and as new (old) titles become abandonware,
they get thrown up there.

Been going to the site for years,and have not once had a problem!

new topics

top topics

join