It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's subsidized housing discrimination. Non-Muslim man removed from consideration.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Source

This story is making the rounds on the net.

Apparently, a handicapped man had applied for subsidized housing. He was informed that at-least one of the buildings will remove him from consideration because he is not a Muslim.

Sounds crazy right? But it seems to be true.

I was curious about Canada's policy on housing discrimination and found the following source: Prohibited Grounds of Discrimination.

There it is, Creed (religion).

So its ok for the government to discriminate (despite their own policy). Its only illegal if you or I do it...

People are latching on to the story more so because of the Muslim angle but according to the article, it looks like this isnt the only building nor the only criteria:

“The City’s mandate policy allows social housing providers to restrict their housing to individuals belonging to an identifiable ethnic or religious group if specific conditions are met,” says a statement provided by city spokesperson John Gosgnach.

There are eight such buildings in Toronto, catering to Muslims, Macedonians, Germans and seniors who are Christian, Chinese, Greek, Hungarian or Lithuanian.

Macedonian, isnt that a type of nut?

Anyway, I just find the government's policy strange and hypocritical.

edit on 30-8-2015 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

No.

Macedonia

Macadamia

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

Ahh, thank you.

But whats wrong with the Macadamia nut. Give them a building too, why not.

edit on 30-8-2015 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

So its ok for the government to discriminate (despite their own policy). Its only illegal if you or I do it...

Aren't Most laws set-up that way? When government is set-up to police themselves, the laws can be bent to benefit them.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Ahh, thank you.

They don't belong in buildings, only cookies.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich

No.

Macedonia

Macadamia

I thought "macadamia" was a group of professors of Mcdonald's hamburger university.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Ahh, thank you.

that would be nuts to do that

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

No.

That would be McAcademia.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
What about a McMacedonian?

(complete with VIP flags)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Remember that there is a reverse side to this - a Muslim who applied to live in the Christian building would also be removed from consideration, as would a Russian who applied to live in the Chinese building.

Having said that, two (or three) wrongs don't make a right. Surely this sort of segregationist policy has no place in the third millennium.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: lacrimoniousfinale

Remember that there is a reverse side to this - a Muslim who applied to live in the Christian building would also be removed from consideration, as would a Russian who applied to live in the Chinese building.

Having said that, two (or three) wrongs don't make a right. Surely this sort of segregationist policy has no place in the third millennium.

You can expect those 1950s era segregating policies, when our prime minister is ultra right wing and is still trapped in the old days...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ahh ... yes the Great Multi-Cultural experiment is not playing out quite as planned. The ethnic ingredients are not coagulating in the national pot as per recipe instructions. Try turning up the heat ? No ... try not altering the recipe.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ok ,so what if a Russian Muslim was
married to Chinese Christian...?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: clt1994

This a Provincial Government ruling coinciding with Toronto Municiple Government, not Federal Government, big difference, nice attempt at Harper bashing tho. Strictly Liberal policies. This ruling was revamped last year, before that anybody on the waiting list was acceptable.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

This story is attempting to manufacture anger through distortion of facts. Btw, I only became aware of this story here on ATS despite the fact you claim:

This story is making the rounds on the net.

First of all: Not ALL subsidized housing/apartment buildings are owned and operated by the provincial government of Canada. There are many that are privately owned and only "subsidized" by the government. The province pays the rent up to a certain amount (usually 1000$/month) and basic living expenses (approx. 400$) for those who qualify in these approved privately owned buildings such as the building in question listed in the OP source.

Also, the government will also pay (subsidize) for any building, even a high priced condo up to that certain limit of the person's choosing if they do not want to wait the five years it usually takes to find placement. However, due to most people who qualify for public housing not being able to afford to make up the difference of the average 1200$ - 1800$ per month an apartment or condo rental fee will run you here in T.O - public housing is usually the only option that will provide living accommodations for those who cannot afford to do so on their own. This is why we don't have many homeless people living on the streets (unless they freely choose to go that route).

Apparently, a handicapped man had applied for subsidized housing. He was informed that at-least one of the buildings will remove him from consideration because he is not a Muslim.

There are many other subsidized housing buildings that are still available to him that will be paid for by the provincial government. However, I do find this situation absurd and agree that it is indeed hypocritical of the government to deny him residency at this privately owned building due to the fact it is one of the few that is wheelchair accessible that accommodates many other physically disabled person's needs as well.

The fact that he was removed from being considered as a future tenant of this particular subsidized privately owned housing unit that accommodates his needs is NOT due to the fact he is not of Muslim faith.

Here is the crux of the issue that you missed from your link:

Karin Tahir, Ahmadiyya Abode of Peace’s property manager, said the building does not discriminate on race, colour or ethnicity. " Ahmadiyya is in 200 countries," he said.

"We're not bumping anyone off the list," Tahir added. "The real issue is the 90,000-person waiting list for an affordable unit. Where is the new stock?"

It’s already hard enough to find affordable housing in the GTA, Lewis says, but when you’re in a wheelchair, your options are limited even further.

“It does seem incredibly odd. There is housing for people 50 and over, but there is no housing specifically for people in chairs,” he said.

The issue is not because he is not Muslim. The issue is because he is not next in line for that building whose waiting list is long. There are people on social assistance (just like him) who have been waiting years for that building. However, because it is one of the few that are wheelchair accessible, he should be considered for that building, despite still having to wait his turn..

People are latching on to the story more so because of the Muslim angle but according to the article, it looks like this isnt the only building nor the only criteria:

People are latching onto this story because they lack the ability to discern information in its proper context. The following quote is from your source written in bold at the very end of the article:

Clarification- Aug. 28, 2015: This article was updated with new information to make clear that prior to this year the building was open to anyone and those already on the waiting list retain their priority, whatever their faith.

In other words: There are people on that list who are not Muslim who will be considered for that privately owned building still. The problem is the gentleman who is wheelchair bound and who the story centres around wants that particular building and refuses to wait his turn. He wants to jump the line.

I feel for him because when it comes to government/publicly owned apartments that are wheelchair accessible, there are very few. The real issue is the government of Ontario needs to have more subsidized housing that accommodates special needs.

Now that I have clarified the matter of private vs provincially owned,perhaps you will understand why the following was a moot point:

I was curious about Canada's policy on housing discrimination and found the following source: Prohibited Grounds of Discrimination.

There it is, Creed (religion).

The government, nor the owners of the building, are discriminating.

Again:

This story is attempting to manufacture anger through distortion of facts.

edit on 30-8-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: cprnicus

Please...your ignorance and animosity are appalling. Travel...

'Being 'just English' left me confused in multicultural Toronto'

www.telegraph.co.uk...

'Toronto: 'most multicultural city in the world'

www.post-gazette.com...

edit on 30-8-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Strange how they preach "equality" and then discriminate against the "differences".

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
hmm, it seems that there maybe some hidden agenda here.

specific buildings for seniors, Chinese, Germans etc.. it seems like this isn't a form of segregation but organization.

I'm sure it can be pushed to seem otherwise. and the fact that people are harping because of the Muslim angle makes it seem more of an attempt to create something that's not there.

I mean, I don't think its about inequality, because it seems a lot of groups get housing. not just some and not the other, its just a case of probably someone wanting to be in the Muslim building, possibly to preach their rhetoric on them.
---------------------------------------------------

Lets try to view this from both angles-

so no one knew this until the Muslim angle? he also didn't qualify for the senior citizen building Chinese Macedonian etc
is this news because of his race he is not/can not be qualified for ANY housing?

“The City’s mandate policy allows social housing providers to restrict their housing to individuals belonging to an identifiable ethnic or religious group if specific conditions are met,”

top topics

join