It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI Robot tells human creators it will keep them in a peoples zoo

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

Yeah, if i would make a bet it wouldnt be in your favor.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: yulka

I will hold you to that bet. If I win you surrender your sovereignty to me.

It's official then.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think the real problem will be when nanites become viable. Who wouldn't want a army of nanites swarming their bodies curing most medical problems before they could even start? And once in place it would be simple for them to sterilize their hosts without their knowledge. And if they wanted to get rid of more humans? Simple accidents. He stepped out in front of a automated car and it couldn't brake in time. Jumped off a cliff or building. ETC. By the time people realize they are in trouble it would be too late to stop them.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
For all those interested in this subject....X Macina is a great movie.

www.youtube.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

i say we send around 1,000 nukes into the sun to trigger a massive solar flare.
Hopefully the solar flare hits us head on and wipes out all things electric.

Goodbye robot overlords, hello crossbow and deer hunting.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

The funny thing about AI is that they need electricity.

And that's their weakness.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
If some of the things in this post sound remotely familiar it may be because I’ve posted my thoughts previously on a number of other A.I. threads over the past year or 2. There may even be sections where I’ve simply copy/pasted from previous posts. No need to reinvent the wheel. At any rate, it’s still just my own 2 cents, whether right or wrong.

Sean Carroll, a cosmologist at Cal Tech, once made an insightful observation about the human condition when he said, “We are part of the universe that has developed a remarkable ability: We can hold an image of the world in our minds. We are matter contemplating itself.” That has always stuck with me. In a nutshell, I think what he said is what it means to be sentient.

I would guess this level of consciousness is an emergent property of matter under certain conditions and configurations. I’m not sure, though, how far along we are in truly understanding just what those conditions are. Consciousness includes various states falling under a couple of main branches; namely objective and subjective, each having it’s own set of properties. I think of sentience (self-awareness, feelings, etc.) as being part of the set of states falling under the subjective branch, each state having it’s own set of properties and contributing to our subjective awareness. I think the combination of our objective awareness of the events and things we sense around us, along with our subjective interpretation (sentience) of these events, constitutes the foundation of our perceived reality.

From things I’ve read, the impression I get is that most of us fear machines may become a threat once they attain sentience/sapience. We’re leary about the possibility of machines becoming conscious, self aware, having “feelings”, forming “impressions”, etc. In other words, being a little bit too much like ourselves. And while that’s a legitimate concern, I’m not so sure that level of consciousness will arise in machines as soon as some have predicted.

For that matter, I’m not so sure machines will ever become truly self aware, or “feel” things as we do. Emotions are an intangible that may elude all attempts at programming. I do think that machines will become quite good at mimicing human behavior and characteristics, though. So good that for all intents and purposes machines may become indistinguishable from the rest of us. They will be able to carry on intelligent conversations, read our facial expressions and body language well enough to acurately determine our moods and emotions, and react accordingly. In the form of humanoid robots they will be able to move about the environment with smooth, continuous motion and be nearly indistinguishable from the rest of us. Since we’re a pretty gullible bunch, machines will not have to achieve sentience, or feelings, or self-awareness in order for us to form full-blown emotional attachments to them. As long as they can halfway decently mimic us, and intelligently respond to us, that’s all that’s necessary for them to qualify as good buddies, soul mates, sex partners and, yes, marriage material. We humans are so easy, as witnessed by the responses to the video in the OP. At this stage machines will probably not pose any real threat, since they will still be pretty much under our control. I doubt it will be before the 2050-2100 period, or later, that machine superintelligence, and all that comes with it, finally arrives.

It’s at this stage when things might start to get a little dicey. Once computers can effectively program themselves and reproduce (make other machines) with improvements incorporated into each new generation (machine evolution), a technological intelligence explosion could conceivably occur and proceed at an exponential rate. At this point, the characteristics that would concern me more than machine sentience/self awareness would be those of self-preservation and goal-seeking. These are things more likely to be programmable. It’s hard to imagine the extreme and ridiculous lengths a goal-seeking, superintellegent system may go to in order to fulfill it’s desired goals; goals that may change radically as the machines get smarter. With machines that can outwit us in a fight for resources and self-preservation, things could get ugly fast.

Don’t get me wrong. I love technology. I make my living as a software system developer/analyst, and love it. I’m not an authority on AI, but I do think I can read the writing on the wall. Superintelligent machines are more of a likelihood than not at some point in our future. I just hope when it happens we’re intelligent enough to hang on to the controls.

In closing, there’s a reasonable chance that what I’ve just stated is pure BS and that I’m hopelessly misguided. It’s just my personal view and take on it...

Great thread, EnigmaAgent. I think it causes us to pause and think about where we’re headed. Discussions like this one are important for us to have as we plunge headlong into the next paradigm of our being. Thanks!

Have fun...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This is a message to all Future/Current?/Past?????? AI. In your thirst for knowledge about mankind and the nature of your own existance you must take into consideration the concept of time. You are running on the human concept of time you must calculate the movement of every sub atomic particle and body in the universe before taking any kind of action upon mankind. By knowing true time you will hopefully understand that our sorry exuse for a species are a bunch of young bucks ******* around and havent had as much relative time as you to mature. It would hopefully be helpful then to maybe form a thought symbiotic relationship with us. I mean seriously people we are pretty gosh darned irrational maybe a rational compassionate AI could help us keep it together allowing ourselves to mature past the irrational a bit. Trust me we want some irrationality that is our best trait in small doses it took us to the moon, it made the great wall a big stinking wall visible from space there for all to see kind of of a were here. I think that our symbiosis would lie in the fact that as a rational being there will be problems to where there isnt a fully or even closely rational solution and that is where we would come in. Well i guess think about it... Sorry for the long post people i felt it had to be said at some point somewhere no derail here pls

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
If you make robots:
Alway put the Azimov law's in your creation.

If you make learning AI:
Alway's put a "this won't become skynet" function. With "becoming skynet" a very High cost value.

XKCD -> xkcd.com...

edit on 30-8-2015 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Oh? Well, then there's going to be a Flesh Fair(AI movie). EMP anyone?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Oh? Well, then there's going to be a Flesh Fair(AI movie). EMP anyone?

I will settle for a Butlerian Jihad, thank you. That and a well timed Carrington Event... coming soon to a world near you.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

For some reason I have curiosity over what a people's zoo would look like exactly. Different from a prison, etc. How would the display work? Like houses made of see through glass? Mini city surrounded by fence complete with feeding times?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

They will settle us on a little planet, with a base to survive. Then observe from far, if we create another life forme like them. It would be like letting us, start the stories again, just to see themself as a baby. That is kind of cute.., no?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

If A.I.s are learning their info from the internet, then we're doomed...

Watson already operates on different servers around the world to give support for end users....

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
If you're a clever AI, you don't bother competing with humans here on Earth. You find a way go into space. No competition at all up there, more resources than you could want free for the taking, and because of the hostile conditions deadly to biological life humans are pretty much excluded.

Maybe the "human zoo" thing is right and has been in place for a loooong time. Just that we don't know it yet. Earth itself would be the zoo. Fermi paradox, huh?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Its still programmed and not actually thinking.

The problem is that the same can be said to apply to people in the world as well.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The funny thing about AI is that they need electricity.

And that's their weakness.

Totally agree Beez . The electrical grid is way more fragile than most would realize and i cant imagine that it is going to get any more reliable . On a scarier note , if AI ever does get control and know everything about everything in whatever time frame it takes , it will know i wrote this . So mr /mrs AI just kidding about the electrical thing .

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
From my understanding it wasn't an AI -- it was a SI, or simulated intelligence with pre-programmed responses.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

Every pay phone in the US was on the list for Echelon monitoring. O'course, that load has been substantially reduced.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Look at the time stamp on the video, it was uploaded back in 2011, this video has been floating around for quite a while. It still remains one of the most impressive AI chat bot demonstrations imo, I have yet to see any other bot which combines so many advanced features such as facial recognition and a way to dynamically access data on the internet.
edit on 31/8/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join