It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Death Spiral and the Methane Time Bomb

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ
a reply to: 727Sky

You postilion is where I have been for a few years on the issue however the proof seems undeniable lately. The computer models may be right... the ice is melting in real time. We can see how much ice has been lost and it's alarming.

I'm fine with you convincing me otherwise. Watch til the end though so you can really give an equal opinion. I watched it all.... a couple of times.

by Ker Than | March 12, 2007 03:27am ET

“Global warming on Neptune's moon Triton as well as Jupiter and Pluto, and now Mars has some [scientists] scratching their heads over what could possibly be in common with the warming of all these planets … Could there be something in common with all the planets in our solar system that might cause them all to warm at the same time?”

Of course as soon as someone says they have found other planets warming the big guns come out to debunk.. Just between you and I; I think it is wise for you to do your own research and evaluate who is saying what.. Plenty of arguments from both sides you just need to decide who's hat rack you want to throw your hat to. I am still listening and thank you for posting.. Some of the stuff is interesting whether I agree or not..

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Oceans will rise with the melting.
Yes. How does that equal this:

It would totally flood North America I would think.

The US future map is now coming to mind.
What map would that be?

edit on 8/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

From your link this says it all to me... the bottom line is this...

TextProfessor Curry said the ice’s behaviour over the next five years would be crucial, both for understanding the climate and for future policy. ‘Arctic sea ice is the indicator to watch,’ she said

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

While we watch... really hope we do not watch a significant amount melt suddenly.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Your own ''research'', real climate scientists are doing that. That's the problem, people them self know it better then climate scientists.

Your link is old and:

www.skepticalscience.com...

There are three fundamental flaws in the 'other planets are warming' argument. Not all planets in the solar system are warming. The sun has shown no long term trend since 1950 and in fact has shown a slight cooling trend in recent decades. There are explanations for why other planets are warming.

edit on 30-8-2015 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Oh I've been watching this for a few years now. I have done my own due diligence and will continue to do so.

The alarming rate the ice was/is melting is significant enough for me to sit up and take notice. It's something to keep an eye on for sure.

When I first noticed the climate changing I didn't really think it was fair to label a root cause just yet nor do I think we are at a point to do so. The community is still divided for the most part and I'm aware data, models, and statistics can be manipulated.

There are a lot of variables to consider but the purpose of the OP is to make others sit up and WATCH closely over the next few months to see what the ice and methane are doing.

By watching the video or reading the PDF one can make up their own mind if it's something to be alarmed about in the ear future.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

There are a lot of variables to consider but the purpose of the OP is to make others sit up and WATCH closely over the next few months to see what the ice and methane are doing.

Few months?
It's down to a few months now?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn

Your own ''research'', real climate scientists are doing that. That's the problem, people them self know it better then climate scientist.

Your link is old and:

www.skepticalscience.com...

There are three fundamental flaws in the 'other planets are warming' argument. Not all planets in the solar system are warming. The sun has shown no long term trend since 1950 and in fact has shown a slight cooling trend in recent decades. There are explanations for why other planets are warming.

The solar system is heating up. The disappearance of the polar caps on Mars, the Great Red Spot of Jupiter. The list goes on. You dont find much CO2 in Jupiter's atmosphere. At least as a gas.And what long term trend does the Sun need to show? The activity has increased so much it is affecting the Earth's magnetic field and has been for years.

Geologists have stated that there may have been times in Earth's prehistory showing methane saturation to the point of one spark and it severely cut down on a lot of species' chance of survival . It is all the Earth and cycles.

And another Mother Earth - Gaiai living planet deal ? I think not. It is a gazillion (or a relevant term) ball of rock and metal left over junk from the great expansion.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Google Future Navy Map of America. Coastal regions are water.... from coastal flooding.

Maybe the higher ups have known this all along... Seems that way.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Few months?
It's down to a few months now?

FOR ME TO WATCH IT IS.... Is that okay with you?

You can watch football or dance competitions for all I care. Watch whatever.... I am more interested in speaking with people who really care about this situation. You are picking and wasting time.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Google Future Navy Map of America.

Ok. Oh, I get this:

This image purports to be a "Leaked US Navy Map" showing a plan to divide America up with an artificial quake at the New Madrid Fault line:

www.metabunk.org...

Seems it has nothing to do with global warming.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

I am more interested in speaking with people who really care about this situation. You are picking and wasting time.

No. I'm asking you what action you think we should take. You know, the action you vaguely call for in your OP.

Or is the action just to "watch" for the next few months?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I draw comfort from the knowledge that plants the world over, from the largest tree to the smallest lichen, need CO2, just like humans need Oxygen, more CO2, more plant growth, especially food plants, more food plants, more food, win-win for human food.

QI on BBC America stated that volcanic activity has gone up 300% in the last 2,000 years, can some please tell the volcanoes to stop it? as they produce methane and CO2, not just us humans.

Greenland, in 'Viking times' was called that because it was GREEN, presumably not covered in ice, so the world was warmer then?

Greenhouse growers know plants need CO2, in America they install methane burners in the greenhouses to produce CO2 for the plants.

Why is it, in June 2015, there are piles of snow still waiting to melt in Buffalo, NY, and also snow in Scotland?
Plus a fall of snow in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, at the end of August? (2015)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The solar system is heating up.

No, it isn't.

The disappearance of the polar caps on Mars,
What disappearance
www.newscientist.com...

the Great Red Spot of Jupiter.
How does that indicate warming?

Geologists have stated that there may have been times in Earth's prehistory showing methane saturation to the point of one spark and it severely cut down on a lot of species' chance of survival
Source?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

QI on BBC America stated that volcanic activity has gone up 300% in the last 2,000 years,
A comedy quiz show? Seriously? That's your authority?

as they produce methane and CO2, not just us humans.
Not nearly as much.

Greenland, in 'Viking times' was called that because it was GREEN

Or, it was a marketing gimmick to get settlers to come to a cold, barren place.

Why is it, in June 2015, there are piles of snow still waiting to melt in Buffalo, NY, and also snow in Scotland?
Plus a fall of snow in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, at the end of August? (2015)
Because weather is not the same thing as climate.

But the OP wants us to "take action." What, oh what, can we do if we are not the cause of the warming?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Antarctic Sea Ice Takes Over More Of The Ocean Than Ever Before

interesting...

Looks like global cooling in the south..

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Gothmog

The solar system is heating up.

No, it isn't.

The disappearance of the polar caps on Mars,
What disappearance
www.newscientist.com...

the Great Red Spot of Jupiter.
How does that indicate warming?

Geologists have stated that there may have been times in Earth's prehistory showing methane saturation to the point of one spark and it severely cut down on a lot of species' chance of survival
Source?

No, it isn't.

Care to elaborate ? All I see are words.

What disappearance

Where have you been for years ?

Source?

Read up on it from geologists , a true science . Unlike climatologists .

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Greenland, in 'Viking times' was called that because it was GREEN, presumably not covered in ice, so the world was warmer then?

You are absolutely wrong!

It was the early Scandinavian settlers who gave the country the name Greenland. In the Icelandic sagas, it is said that the Norwegian-born Icelander Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for manslaughter. Along with his extended family and his thralls, he set out in ships to explore icy land known to lie to the northwest. After finding a habitable area and settling there, he named it Grœnland (translated as "Greenland"), supposedly in the hope that the pleasant name would attract settlers

wiki

And no, the solar system is not heating up, althou the sun is heating by about 10% every 1 billion years.. it has no apparent effect on earth, yet.

Most energy today, we get from burning accumulated sunlight, oil & coal.
Releasing that thru cars, turbines and what not, DO have an effect on global climate.
Do the simple math, and calculate how many barrels of oil has been burned since 1900, then convince yourself that that amount has no effect on our climate? It's a bit hard...

The combustion engine was a great triumph back in the days, but it has proven itself to be one of the most dangerous inventions ever.

Remember when lead was removed from gasoline?

“Tetraethyl lead” was used in early model cars to help reduce engine knocking, boost octane ratings, and help with wear and tear on valve seats within the motor. Due to concerns over air pollution and health risks, this type of gas was slowly phased out starting in the late 1970’s and banned altogether in all on-road vehicles in the U.S. in 1995.

Why Lead Used to Be Added To Gasoline

So leaded gasoline had an impact on environment and health back then. Does that mean unleaded gasoline is good for the environment and world-wide health? No!
Oilconsumption is still rising.

Check out Flightradar24 for a live world view of airplanes currently in the air. Then tell me, they have no impact on air pollution. (No im not advocating the chemtrails-believers).

Solutions? They are gonna be very hard and tough for people to grasp. First thing is to halt world population growth (yea i know.. it sound like a nazi adventure, but it has to be done sooner or later).
Create a global scientific institute with scientists around the world, spending time to think and experiment with solutions in hydrogen, windpower, solar-power, and yet unknown solutions.
To pay for this, every nation must spend 1%(?) of their GDP.
Its cheap, and everyone benefits.

Sadly the greed will never make this happen.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Antarctic Sea Ice Takes Over More Of The Ocean Than Ever Before

interesting...

Looks like global cooling in the south..

You have misunderstood weather vs climate change

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

No

Apparently YOU misunderstood the OP

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

NO....

But, it is fun for me to imagine how Erik the Red dealt with all those pissed off Vikings he snookered.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join