It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,000 Cases May be Dismissed Over Baltimore PD's Secret Use of Stingrays

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Sounds like another massive big government authoritarian failure.

Contender for the flop of the decade award.

nah...this is local government...you need big government to come in and clean this "sewer waste" out of the system

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
They're using these things to get information to prosecute people, but they're not revealing where the information has come from. Most of the time the info obtained is without a warrant, and the prosecutors just dance around WHERE the info has come from. The local PD's have deals with the FBI not to disclose information about these devices.

They can, and do record cell phone calls. These devices are small enough to fit in squad cars. They do scoop up the contacts, text messages, GPS data and call logs of anyone else nearby -- violating all these people's privacy.

They use them in my city, as I've seen the transcripts from the city council meetings authorizing their purchase. The police representative didn't explain what these devices do, only stated that they were needed. Funding was approved without any debate.

These devices violate Alaska's "right to privacy" clause in our state's constitution -- but I can't get the local media up here to run any kind of expose or story.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
Here you go an interesting article on the Sting Ray device.

www.scientificamerican.com...

IMO if your not breaking the law you really have nothing to worry about...and I doubt they really care about what the average joe is talking about...unless it has something to do with breaking the law...then you should be worried.

Until a crooked cop uses these devices to stalk/spy on their ex-wife or something...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Salander

That's why our elected representatives passed the patriot act which nullifies the 4th amendment, and the NDAA amendment which nullifies Habeas Corpus.

No certain aspects may violate it...it doesn't nullify it.

The NDAA does not nullify Habeas Corpus...

Second, in American law, “suspending” habeas corpus is a very specific term. The U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 9, Clause 2 states:
“The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.”
Since this clause is under Article I of the Constitution, it not only requires that any action taken to suspend Habeas Corpus must be taken by Congress, but also requires a case of “Rebellion or Invasion” when the public safety requires it. To suspend Habeas Corpus using Congress would be monumental and must meet a specific set of requirements. Therefore, Congress didn’t “suspend” Habeas Corpus, they just violated and ignored it.

pandaunite.org...

The authorities love to be able to put people in jail and keep them there. It's part of that power trip they are on.

Yes when they are breaking the law...because they aren't out arresting the average person who doesn't break the law.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

You realize it's illegal for them to wiretap without a warrant right? The fourth ammendment says:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

You can't honestly read that and think they intended all electronic effects to be excluded.

When the cops use them without a warrant they themselves are breaking the law (hence the convictions being overturned). When our law enforcement has the ability to ignore whatever laws they please, there won't be much difference between the police here, and the ones in Nicaragua.

Can you give me an example of a conspiracy nutt making the Constitution unpopular? It seems more like the work of politicians to me.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This would be a move in the right direction! Police officers need to be shown by example that they need a warrant to use something like the Stingray to tap into cell phone texts and calls. Apparently it isn't enough for them that it is illegal. The law has to be enforced for police officers to pay attention.

Stingray use for many kinds of crimes are also a known problem in LA, although they are used both all over the U.S. and covertly in the U.K.en)

Here is a link to a thread I did recently What is the "Stingray" surveillance device?
edit on 30pmSun, 30 Aug 2015 17:14:40 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 30pmSun, 30 Aug 2015 17:14:57 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Here you go an interesting article on the Sting Ray device.

www.scientificamerican.com...

IMO if your not breaking the law you really have nothing to worry about...and I doubt they really care about what the average joe is talking about...unless it has something to do with breaking the law...then you should be worried.

That's like the number 1 argument until police burst through your door, beat your wife, taze your children, and shoot your dog....
And then it's quiet again ... they'll apologize for getting the wrong house and cellphone number mixed up. You will be OK with this because you were not breaking the law, and you understand that they were just doing their jobs, screw your wife's new-found blindness and ruptured stomach.
edit on 30-8-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

You mean a more liberal city has a higher probability of producing a police force that abuses their power? If that's what you mean please explain how that works.

If you do a quick Google search like, "Lubbock, TX police abuse" you'll see that even in the most conservative towns police corruption still raises it's ugly head. This isn't a political issue. Please don't turn it in to one

Here's a link to those search results:

www.google.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Until a crooked cop uses these devices to stalk/spy on their ex-wife or something..

Yes that could happen...but they are using it for catching crooks correct?

If a police officer is crooked and uses it for that reason that doesn't mean they all are doing this or plan to do this.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

That's like the number 1 argument until police burst through your door, beat your wife, taze your children, and shoot your dog....

So how many people do you that this happened to them?

That isn't an every day thing that this stuff happens...but thanks for the paranoia.

Again if your doing something that would get the cops watching you then you should be worried, but if you haven't why care what they do to those who break the law.

If they start arresting people because they didn't like the conversation then I am full on with this being bad, but until then as long as they don't bother me I could care less if they want to listen to someones phone conversations.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Any evidence that was obtained illegally would automatically be thrown out of court.

Using a stingray is essentially a search without permission and therefore illegal.

Any conviction using such evidence should be immediately overturned.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Why are you not living in a glass house ? If you are not doing anything wrong why hide behind solid walls ?

Privacy seems to be a concept you don't understand.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

They'll use stingray information to get warrants, and use the information gained from the warrants to prosecute. That's the little loophole they use.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

90% of those citizens were non minorities, 80% of those times not even breaking the law, resulting in 100% trust and non adverse feelings towards LEO, resulting in 0% subsequent fall out in Baltimore.

J/K

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

a reply to: Flesh699

So how many people do you that this happened to them?

That isn't an every day thing that this stuff happens...but thanks for the paranoia.

Again if your doing something that would get the cops watching you then you should be worried, but if you haven't why care what they do to those who break the law.

If they start arresting people because they didn't like the conversation then I am full on with this being bad, but until then as long as they don't bother me I could care less if they want to listen to someones phone conversations.

So how many times would this have to happen for YOU to deem it worthy of worry, oh wise one?

You're either the biggest shill on this topic, or just a cocksucker. I can't determine which yet.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Catching crooks? You mean catching people who buy, use and/sell marijuana? OMG, what dangerous "crooks" those guys are.

Nice appeal to emotion BTW.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Are you not the one on here railing every freaking day about facts and denying ignorance?

Fact: it's illegal.

Let's step away from rhetoric and do what you claim to do so much, yeah?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join