It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,000 Cases May be Dismissed Over Baltimore PD's Secret Use of Stingrays

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Baltimore police have commonly used stingrays to investigate even minor crimes, USA Today reported earlier this week. Police concealed the surveillance from suspects and their lawyers, even though Maryland law generally requires that such surveillance be disclosed in court.

The public defender's office is reviewing a surveillance log that lists more than 1,900 cases in which the police indicated they had used a stingray, USA Today reported. It includes at least 200 public defender clients who were ultimately convicted of a crime. By the Numbers: Baltimore is the Face of Inequality in the US © AP Photo/ Patrick Semansky Baltimore Moving Towards Becoming the Murder Capital of the US The device mimics a cell phone tower, forcing phones in the area to connect, which allows the police to pinpoint its location and, ideally, a suspect. In the process, officers also can pick up data from the phones of others in the area, even if they are not a suspect.
Read more: sputniknews.com...

More than 35 police departments nationwide used a controversial cell phone-tracking surveillance device known as a "stingray" in 2013 and 2014, an investigation by the USA Today Media Network found.

The American Civil Liberties Union identified an additional 18 departments that used the device in that two-year span.
Read more: sputniknews.com...

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

But... But.. They were only breaking the law to stop people from breaking the law!

Average citizens should just shut up and obey all authority!

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Sounds like another massive big government authoritarian failure.

Contender for the flop of the decade award.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
You mean bypassing the law is illegal for law enforcement?!?

Shock story!

Until an independent board reviews police action it will continue to be, hrmmm, what's the word? Oh yea Partial and favorable.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Baltimore ranks as the 14th most liberal city in America:
source

Let's think about this for a minute.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I live on the coast. Illegal use of stingrays means something completely different in this neck of the woods.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I live on the coast. Illegal use of stingrays means something completely different in this neck of the woods.

Steve Irwin what??

Op - Wait for folks to start rolling in here saying that this should be ok because... "they have nothing to hide and aren't doing anything wrong" right as another couple of yards of our freedoms/rights have been trampled on.
edit on 8/30/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

When leaders don't obey the laws that they are elected to represent they make a mockery of the law. If our leaders don't have to respect the law of the land why should the citizens?

In a Constitutional Republic the law is the only real authority. Our leaders need to be reminded they represent the people and the law, they are not above the people nor are they above the law. If our leaders do not agree with the law then let them debate with the people to change the law.

If the leaders feel that it is in the best interest of the citizens that they need more authority, we have a system in place for them to gain that authority. Our leaders have every right to propose new laws to the people and debate the public and await the outcome of the vote.

Whatever the vote determines is the law. If our leaders do not feel they can adequately do their jobs based on the law of the land, then they should step down and allow those who believe in the law to lead.

No one is forcing anyone to take a role of leadership. But what the people should be forcing is our leaders to obey the only authority in a Constitutional Republic, which is the law.

If our leaders do not agree with a Constitutional Republic then they should leave the country, which is a freedom granted by the law.

edit on 30-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I prefer when the police use cuttlefish. Those critters confuse the heck out of the criminals, and give the innocents the heeby-jeebees.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Yeah...this is a joking matter.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys
a reply to: Aleister

Yeah...this is a joking matter.

That's the sad part. It IS currently a joke.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Cops violating peoples constitutional rights...say whaaa?? Seriously though I would love to see an undercover investigative reporter go into a police academy and/or department and show the rest of us what they talk about and teach to these gestapo. I'm sure we would get a glimpse at some very underhanded dealings and sure something like this will never happen but one can dream.

If they don't have a course teaching officers about the constitution, its meaning and it's importance they need to. These thugs need to be retaught or remember that they serve us the people and if things keep going the way they are without any change in favor of the people then they may just have to be forcibly removed from office and replaced.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Here you go an interesting article on the Sting Ray device.

www.scientificamerican.com...

IMO if your not breaking the law you really have nothing to worry about...and I doubt they really care about what the average joe is talking about...unless it has something to do with breaking the law...then you should be worried.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The cases "may" be dismissed? Uh, huh…

They behave as if what they do (eavesdropping) is generally unacceptable, which it is.

Wiki

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
Here you go an interesting article on the Sting Ray device.

www.scientificamerican.com...

IMO if your not breaking the law you really have nothing to worry about...and I doubt they really care about what the average joe is talking about...unless it has something to do with breaking the law...then you should be worried.

So then we should all just wear a mic all the time, because if we aren't having a conversation about something illegal we shouldn't mind right?

Are you #ing kidding?

I should not have to worry about them listening in on my brother and I discuss our annual 420 meet up.

It happens once a year, is it illegal, well in some places, in others it isn't, but that isn't the point, the point is they are breaking the law.

How in the hell is it OK for them to break the law on a mass scale to stop two brothers from meeting up once a year for one smoke?

That is retarded, not like Forrest Gump retarded, that is " full retard" retarded.
edit on 30-8-2015 by johnwick because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

If I shouldn't worry about law enforcement abandoning the law, what should I worry about? I guess I should only be worried if I can't afford to give them their bribe? My wife is from Nicaragua, I guess she'll have to teach me how to deal with the out of control police force.

I thought we had a fairly nice constitution, I don't understand why it's becoming so unpopular these days.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: VP740

It's so unpopular because it restrains the government, and therefore the police. They don't like it.

That's why our elected representatives passed the patriot act which nullifies the 4th amendment, and the NDAA amendment which nullifies Habeas Corpus. The authorities love to be able to put people in jail and keep them there. It's part of that power trip they are on.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

So then we should all just wear a mic all the time, because if we aren't having a conversation about something illegal we shouldn't mind right?

You missed the point altogether...because I was saying that the normal joe has nothing to worry about if they aren't breaking the law.

This device is being used to catch criminals not the average citizen.

I should not have to worry about them listening in on my brother and I discuss our annual 420 meet up.

Have you broken the law that would give them reason to listen to your conversations...because it not they don't care about what you do.

It happens once a year, is it illegal, well in some places, in others it isn't, but that isn't the point, the point is they are breaking the law.

Have you been arrested for it?

Are you actively being investigated for a crime, because if not you have nothing to worry about.

How in the hell is it OK for them to break the law on a mass scale to stop two brothers from meeting up once a year for one smoke?

Well if your that worried maybe you should text him, as they can't hear what your saying there, and their use of this has yet to be shown illegal.

That is retarded, not like Forrest Gump retarded, that is " full retard" retarded.

Why because I am not wearing my tin foil hat and agreeing this is something to be worried about...amazing.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: VP740

If I shouldn't worry about law enforcement abandoning the law, what should I worry about?

WHo said they were abandoning the the law?

You can worry about this if you want, but as I said before the average joe isn't the target of these listenings...those being investigated for something are.

I guess I should only be worried if I can't afford to give them their bribe? My wife is from Nicaragua, I guess she'll have to teach me how to deal with the out of control police force.

Who said anything about bribing the police?

There is a big difference between the police in the US and those of Nicaragua.

I thought we had a fairly nice constitution, I don't understand why it's becoming so unpopular these days.

We do, but it's those who think the government is out to get them, and conspiracy theorist that are making it unpopular.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join