It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Revolver for Home Defense

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kobresia

You've completely misread the entire thread if you think that anyone here is "ready" to kill someone over their TV.

If some miscreant wants my TV, he can have it. I'll not shoot him over it. But he takes one step towards my family, or even begins to look like he's thinking about it, all bets are off. My family matters ten thousand times more to me than some two bit, or less, criminal. Sorry if that offends anyone.

Actually, no I'm not sorry a bit.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
A couple years ago I awoke to someone going over the fence. I was amazed and didnt believe my ears. The fence was attached to my bedroom wall and was 7 foot tall. I grabbed the 12 gauge and went to my winndow. Its a 2 story. There was a big dude standing below my window next to a large shrub. First time ever, since i bought this place in 1987. I just couldnt believe it. I think I recognise him as a big meth dealer and user that lived some blocks away. I cycled the shotgun. I ratcheted it loudly, and called out calmly just loud enough for him to hear clearly. " Do you really want to get shot?" You should have seen him run. He hit that fence lickety sizzle. I had the safe locked at the time, but the 12 gage did the trick
edit on 30-8-2015 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2015 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kobresia
This just goes beyond my comprehension. You are ready to kill someone because he/she could steal some items/materia from you? You are ready to put you and your family in jeopardy in a gun fight, possibly in the darkness? Is the value of 'things' and money greater than human life? You are ready to face the consequences with your own self after such "self-defence" situations?

We should value human life, even if some individuals don't value our life. So get a dog, some alarms etc.

We do value human life. I have 2 pittbulls that sleep on either side of me. When I cocked the shotgun for the guy outside I left it empty. If he came in the house, and started up the stairs, it would have been loaded and emptied into his worthless carcass. Dont break and enter, and come up the stairs. Someone who does that does not value human life, yours or his own

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
No one ever agrees with me but, I like my M&P .22c I have never had a misfire, fail to fire, or fail to load.

This pistol is razor precise even after hundreds and hundreds of rounds.

Also, I can still hear after firing it.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman Dont shoot a bear, or a large man, or anyone with thick skin LOL!

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem Actually I have a couple of 22s, Im just messing with you

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

I can put one in your eye at 20 yrds.

10 center mass at 50.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

For simple defense, not combat scenario, I like my .22s.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

There are people out there who wouldn't disagree with you.

I'm one of them. .22 is a whole lot better than nothing at all, if you can hit what you aim at. Easy to shoot. There's nothing scary about 'em...easy to teach someone who has never shot in their life with a .22.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman ever shot a 500? I could put one 50 mag in your eye but your head would come off.Actually all joking aside. It is the only gun I would shoot a grizzley Bear with. People say dont shoot a Grizzley bear in the head, it will bounce off. I have shot through trees with mine, and am confident that it would cave a Grizzleys head in with one round. As for 22s.... They would eat them as hordouvres before they ate you. I would shoot a mouse or even a medium size rat with a 22 though..... LOL

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I also have a S&W SD40VE.

However, for simple defense I'd still rather have the razor accuracy of my .22c.

It ain't the size, it's how you use it.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: abe fromanGo buy yourself a 357 wheel gun. You owe it to yourself

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I reckon that as long as you have a quality pistol with decent ammunition then it doesn't really matter whether it is a revolver or a semi auto. Modern pistols with good ammunition have very few stoppages as long as they are cared for. Most stoppages are magazine feed related. If as semper says it usually only takes one shot in this type of scenario, then the stoppage issue is not really an issue at all.

However I would be more than happy to keep a revolver at home as a defence weapon. The police in N. Ireland used them for years without dramas.

Murphy is over rated. If you are going to have a bad one then it doesn't matter if it is a bad primer, mag feed drama or cylinder lock up. You adapt and persevere. You get agressive, you get nasty and you go for it. If my family are at risk it doesn't matter what I'm carrying. If it doesn't go bang then it goes up their fundamental orafice.

It's a mindset thing. Fixating on the tool breeds complacency. Train with what you have. Have confidence in your tools and be prepared to adapt if they don't work.
edit on 30-8-2015 by PaddyInf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman Its both size and how you use it. I once dated a beautiful woman from Thailand. When she saw my gun for the first time, she said " Wow! do all white guys have ones as big as that? I loved hearing that.

This is my rifle
This is my gun
This is for fighting
This is for fun

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: PaddyInf
My Kimber 45 is a $1300 semiauto . It has an accurate matchgrade bull barrel. You can take it to a competetion. It has tight tollerences. I work in the steel industry and have tools such as micrometers. Bullets vary in thickness, as I measured the shells that jammed in my auto. A jammed shell is a scary thing, especially in a situation. A sloppy old 45 might cycle just about anything, but my gun was built to tight specs and wont. It is very accurate with quality top grade rounds though

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well, being British, we can handle ourselves. If it should ever occur that I awake to find someone in my apartment who I have not invited in, they would be dealt with. It would be a 12" custard pie right in the face, followed up with an half eaten sherry trifle over the head. There are no stoppages with these foods. Have you ever seen anyone dumped on their backsides covered in these substances? It is utterly bewildering to them. They forget what they entered for and can't even remember their own name. Just an expression of WTF! on their custard and jelly face.

Okay. I give up. I used to tell Americans that the good old wild west had gone, but clearly, it is an aspect of American culture that just won't be allowed to be consigned to the history books. However, the very fact that you think you need a gun in your home should automatically speak volumes to you about your country? It abides in fear and paranoia.

'What if' and 'just in case' scenarios sell guns and continually mitigates the 'fear' of those scenarios. Of course, some would say it is better to have a gun and not need it, than to not have a gun and not need it, but of course, the only time you would need a gun is when you 'know' the other person has a gun, not when you only 'think' they may have a gun. Only then is your use of a gun proportional to the threat.

Here in Britain we are allowed to defend our life and property, but it has to be proportional to the threat. Shooting someone who hasn't got a gun would probably land you in jail for excessive use of force, and has done so. Rationally, it would seem counter-productive to be prosecuted for one's own defence, after all, you didn't cause the incident, the other person did, but the country-wide social rational of this is that we don't have people being killed at the drop of a hat, otherwise, we would end up similar to America...addicted to the fear of other people, and no real social cohesion at all.

America's 'gun problem' is more than just about the actual physical gun, and even if Americans could somehow find the courage to remove the guns, it won't change the mindset for wanting and having them. In fact, it is precisely this mindset that is the reason why guns are so ubiquitous across America, and the lucrative industry in the sale of them. So, until the mindset is changed, guns will remain and gun violence will stay at the high levels they are, and the problem will remain.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   

I hear you. I have had stoppages at the worst of times. My point is that pistols don't have stoppages half as much as people worry about if you feed and care for them properly. I put thousands of rounds of crappy 9mm army issue ammunition through my P5C. It had a few stoppages over the years, but it worked well if fed high quality ammunition. Even with the issue stuff it would go through thousands of rounds between failures to fire. I trusted my life to it.

If you spend too much time worrying whether you'll hear bang or click, you won't have to worry about a bad guy getting you. The coronary will beat him to it.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'm from the Detroit area and I recently had a home invasion. I moved in with my grandmother to help her out after my grandfather died. The other day I went to the store around 9 am. I left the back door unlocked thinking my grandmother was home so there was no need to lock it. She was in her bedroom and someone came into the house. They opened her bedroom door. She didn't see the person she thought it was me. When I came home and pulled into the driveway the gate was open and so was the back door. They're lucky I didn't catch them.

My cousin lives in the area also. 3 teenagers broke into his house while he was sleeping. He keeps a 357 next to his bed at night. When one of them opened the bedroom door my cousin shot him. The other 2 fled. No charges were filed against my cousin he had every right to shoot. The hood rats didn't take kindly to their brother being shot. They harassed my cousin until he sold his house. The killed his dog and busted windows out on his car. He was worried the retaliation was going to escalate.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I think what a lot of people are looking for is the "spray and pray" solution.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Doesnt matter what you have, you perform the way you train.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join