It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Revolver for Home Defense

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I prefer explosives. I may take out my door and wall in the process, but when it comes to the criminal it's the only way to be sure

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
That is equally as ridiculous. My suggestion? Let your Faith be your Shield. As for the non believers? Unless you are faster and more skilled than the other guy, your SOL. Let the flaming begin... a reply to: seagull

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

Why a Revolver for Home Defense

,,,I’m asked all the time “what firearm do I choose for my own home defense”.
My answer is always, a revolver. A 357mag to be exact.

RED FLAG>>>
-anyone that will answer that question with the same answer for everyone has no business being an instructor-

comfort, accuracy and ammo choice

My wife can probably kill anyone in our house with any of her 3 handguns (M&P 49 S&W, Rugger 380, and Keltech PMR 30- 22 Mag)

Revolvers and other autos proved wrong for her for different reasons, mostly because of trigger pull weight and length of travel. These factors caused her to be less accurate.

As an example: two years ago I shot a 160# deer through ribs and lungs and at least one major artery and many veins. I used a 270 win core lokt bullet. This expands and creates shrapnel on impact. There was an exit wound of 2". The deer ran over 100 yards before falling and dying. If you shoot me from across a room, say 12 feet away, a 6' 190# man and do not hit me directly in the spine, heart or pelvis, more than likely I get ahold of you and you can't do anything about it. If your accurate, you're spitting on my corpse as you call the cops.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Semper is right guys. He is simply right.

I am what you would call a gun and knife enthusiast. I own well over 500 of them.

Guys..... even your incredible glock will jam or not shoot about 10000000000 times more often then a simple revolver or derringer. I own many glocks and I clean them before and after firing. AND THEY STILL JAM AND MISFIRE at times... and I know how to file certain areas to minimize this ... (BTW for glock guys check out the rare (rare here) steyr handgun, designed by the designer of glocks and an improvement. They are awesome)

Also Ive seen some people advocate to lay down and let them rob you. You guys are just asking for your daughter or wife to get raped or even the whole family shot. Never lay down in life. Even with bears.

You guys need to really be very careful with your advice here because you could potentially get people killed.

One man with a judge loaded with super powerful 410s will stop a home invasion and robbery. You need to have door reinforcements and some sort of noise to wake you or alert you upon their entry. (I use simple wind chimes I put on a hook over the doors at night.) (a small little barky ass dog works better). But that is responsible advice.

The world wasn't built by cowards that let their families get man handled and robbed. As a human race we didn't evolve that way. Don't let political correctness now a days get your asses killed.

edit on 29-8-2015 by YeahYea4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
"Oh pweeze, don't hurt me". No, thanks, I'm going to send some lead their way.
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

This story isn't the movies, and it isn't zero either

There are many more like it if you want to do a cursory Google review of these incidents.

Combat is stressful, destroys fine motor skills, and sometimes, when there is more than one invader, they stay and fight.

I live in reality and have quite a bit of experience myself. Please stop professing things that aren't true and claiming its "common sense".

Shot placement is everything. But you will find it difficult when you're in mortal danger and people are firing at you.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: YeahYea4Also Ive seen some people advocate to lay down and let them rob you. You guys are just asking for your daughter or wife to get raped or even the whole family shot. Never lay down in life. Even with bears.
I never said lay down, I am saying that material possessions are not worth the loss of ANY life. 'When they start going after my loved ones however, I'd gladly lay down my life for theirs. In before I die a pointless death....actually, I have no idea on this one...hm.

You guys need to really be very careful with your advice here because you could potentially get people killed.
As if yours isn't?

One man with a judge loaded with super powerful 410s will stop a home invasion and robbery. You need to have door reinforcements and some sort of noise to wake you or alert you upon their entry. (I use simple wind chimes I put on a hook over the doors at night.) (a small little barky ass dog works better). But that is responsible advice.
No arguments here.
The world wasn't built by cowards that let their families get man handled and robbed. As a human race we didn't evolve that way. Don't let political correctness now a days get your asses killed.
You and I have vastly differing views of Courage, then... A man behind a gun is much like a chihuahua behind a fence... Who, besides you has even alluded to politics?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Nah. As I said, one size (type, caliber, etc) does NOT fit all. My wife can't handle a 12+ lb trigger pull weight, period. So it can't be right for her.

"I have been asked to do a full review of Taurus .45/.410 revolvers for Guns and Shooting Online, but declined. I simply refuse to waste that much of my time and effort on a product that I already know is inherently incapable of delivering acceptable results. However, in response to popular demand, I agreed to do this abbreviated article."

Quote from Chuck Hawks , complete review in link here
www.chuckhawks.com...

(bio below)
www.chuckhawks.com...

a reply to: YeahYea4
Sorry yeahyea4, I'm on my phone and hit the wrong bubble, meant to aim that reply at another but don't know how to remedy the situation.

edit on 29-8-2015 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2015 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Totally agree with Semper regarding Wheel Gun for home defense.

Know so many will not listen.

If you are dead set on getting a semi rather than a wheel gun for home defense, please view:

Tap. Invert. Rack. Ready.

And drill yourself on it, a lot.

*Tear Clear*

Because that can make all the difference if you go semi and have a failure.

I use a glock, but it was my duty weapon.

Father and brother use S&W wheel guns per my advice.

I suggest the wheel for average home defense.

X

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Im really not going to debate you guys. I guess we all have our opinions on how to keep our families safe. Ive seen all of these same debates on a popular gun forum through the years (except for the lay down and take it bs)... and No one here is going to change their minds.

I think you guys just need to be really careful when giving home defense advice. I happen to believe Semper is correct and advocate everything he said here. But hell... do you guys really think I care if you don't think a judge will stop an intruder cold? or that a revolver does very rarely mess up? Or that having a gun to protect your family actually puts you into a gun fight with crack heads looking for a quick score? ..... No I don't care all that much. To each his own in life.

I care about the innocents that could be reading and believing crap though.

At any rate. Good thread. cheers.

Ive been meaning to do a huge thread on metal types and temper when knife buying. Ill get around to it next week.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
People are always trying to sell their Judge around here, that should tell you something. I want something that will stay on target after I fire.
a reply to: Skid Mark

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Wheelguns are operable by children most easily is an often overlooked drawback.

Most big autos are too hard for a child to operate.

Most families I know locked up wheelguns with children in the house.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 5leepingWarrior

That is why they call it practice. ...and I've done my share of it.

As for faith? God helps those who help themselves, or so it's been my experience.

I have as home defense, three dogs, all of whom bark--one of whom will eat you if he has his way... ...and I have my trusty Smith, and my phone.

I'll take my chances should the day ever come.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This just goes beyond my comprehension. You are ready to kill someone because he/she could steal some items/materia from you? You are ready to put you and your family in jeopardy in a gun fight, possibly in the darkness? Is the value of 'things' and money greater than human life? You are ready to face the consequences with your own self after such "self-defence" situations?

We should value human life, even if some individuals don't value our life. So get a dog, some alarms etc.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
What the hell no... semi automatic etriker fired pistols are very reliable. We are not in the 80s. Every pistol manufacturer has very low f2f or fte. I can speak thousands of fla2less firing through a s&w mid quality glock 19 and hundreds through a sig 380 short nose (which to me doesnt like to feed hollow points) but hasnt failed to fire or eject yet.
And to korbroza the poster above me. I Haven't shot at anyone yet, dont emagine I ever will have to. But its good to know if someone wants to take your life they are going to have a hell of a time trying to. Most people that own guns don't go looking for a fight. And usually less than 9% percent of any given state actually can carry legally so not many people have guns not counting crooks.
edit on 29-8-2015 by AlongCamePaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Much has been said about the advantages/disadvantages of revolvers vs semi automatics, but I haven't heard anything about why a shotgun isn't the best choice. Any thoughts on that?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

As with most discussion on firearms and survival, the conversation quickly devolves into a competition of who's member is the biggest and who has the most testosterone. A Remington pump shotgun is my ideal choice for home protection, but a shotgun just isn't everyone's cup of tea.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Thanks EternalSolace. I'm actually trying to make a decision on what to buy and that's why I'm curious, this thread couldn't have come at a better time for me.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Semper is correct. I have several hand guns. All top quality. I also have a shot gun and a rifle. My first hand gun was a Smith and Wesson model 686. Its a stainless steel 357 purchased in about the mid 80s. It has never jammed or misfired on me. It is my go to gun in a situation. I may throw the 45 in my pocket when I go for the 357, but thats where it will stay unless I run out of bullets. My 45 is a match grade Kimber Ultra Carry 2. A very expensive gun. It has on occation jammed on me. Glocks are pretty nifty guns, but I dont care for the material they are made from. I take my glock shooting buddies to the range and let them shoot my Smith and Wesson 500. Their glocks are never thew same to them after that. The 500 is really a bit too much for home protection. It is a full on 50 calibur magnum. It is very large, heavy and kicks like a mule. It blows a giant 1 foot flame that you can see pretty well when you fire it at night. One round would knoch down a grizzley bear, or open an intruder so you could see day light through them. My 500 is a 5 shooter wheel gun. It is also stainless. You only need one round.

Safety.... Keep your guns locked up. I have a safe by my bed, in the closet. All guns are loaded. I open the safe at night with the keys hanging, and close it in the morning. The shot gun is a Remmington express with a short barrel. It is hung in the closet unloaded. I have practiced loading it quickly in the dark from the 12 gauge mag 00 shells I keep lined up in the night stand. It is only for if I dont have the safe open, or to make the cocking sound for people tresspassing on my back property. They ran.
Bottom line..... 357 is a powerful reliable gun. You can run 38 specials through it for practice to save money. I wouldnt want to kill a grizzley with it, but people have. It is definately a man killer
edit on 29-8-2015 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I like being prepared for different situations so I have a shotgun as well as a couple of derringers and my trusty Bearcat for carry and bedside. It sits comfortably in my hand, having resided there for more than 40 years. Depends on which part of the house I'm in as to which weapon I'll grab.
I've always figured that unless the intruder is absolutely bat-spit crazy, the sound of the shotgun being racked should cause flight.
My Beloved is my back-up but since I am more accurate and my eyesight is fine without glasses---but he has more bullets in the magazine of his 9mm.
So far, in the couple of times I've felt enough danger to reach for a weapon the mere sight of the weapon in my hand was enough to cause the bad guy to flee. Note: Neither of those episodes was inside the house. A dear friend prevented an invasion at her home by simply racking the slide on her gun and yelling, "Get the hell away from my door or I'm going to shoot you!" He had broken the glass in her door and was reaching in to open the door. He left quickly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join