It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Revolver for Home Defense

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: YeahYea4

Right on all accounts..

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

That does sound nice indeed...i usually had a few around as the job required it...i locked up most the work stuff but a kept a few personal pistols about....but when the kids came over id just lock it all up...that safe sounds like the perfect peace of mind.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

The same argument can be made for bear protection. When that bear is charging you, you don't have the luxury of clearing a jam.

Also, a .44 mag is lighter than carrying a sawed off, pistol gripped 12g shotgun with slugs. You can wear the .44 in a cross draw chest rig and have it ready to go with serious speed in a bear encounter.

A revolver at home is smaller, lighter and easier to use when your adrenaline is pumping.

Also, don't quote me on this...but the last time I was at the store, shotgun rounds were significantly more expensive. It seems unless your reloading your own, it might cost more to take a shotgun to the range to practice with.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Oh, and I'd add that the best home defense weapon is one that you are proficient on.

It doesn't do you any good to buy a gun and stick it in a gun safe...

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

The same argument can be made for bear protection. When that bear is charging you, you don't have the luxury of clearing a jam.

Also, a .44 mag is lighter than carrying a sawed off, pistol gripped 12g shotgun with slugs. You can wear the .44 in a cross draw chest rig and have it ready to go with serious speed in a bear encounter.

A revolver at home is smaller, lighter and easier to use when your adrenaline is pumping.

Also, don't quote me on this...but the last time I was at the store, shotgun rounds were significantly more expensive. It seems unless your reloading your own, it might cost more to take a shotgun to the range to practice with.

I have been reloading for 22 years, and it was drilled into me by my Sensei(Thanks Ron Pick, and bless you for your patience!) to never use reloads for self defense. There have been court cases where reloaded ammo was deemed "too hot", and led to legal issues for the shooter. I urge reloaders to read up on this subject, and take the findings to heart:
www.gundigest.com...
www.defensivecarry.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Dang good point.

You don't want to shoot someone and the round exit your house and hit something else. Reloaded bullets have this capacity. Also Increased Kinetics upon firing mean a better chance of killing someone which can also open up yourself for legal issues in liberal states.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I wonder how the court could prove your slugs were reloaded?

This would make me wary of even owning reloading equipment, as the investigators would see it and call your ammo into question?

It certainly raises a very, very good issue.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I take that to be a hell yes, then. I've been watching videos and they look like a good gun. I like that they can also shoot a 410 shotgun shell.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I wonder how the court could prove your slugs were reloaded?

This would make me wary of even owning reloading equipment, as the investigators would see it and call your ammo into question?

It certainly raises a very, very good issue.

In the past court cases where reloaded ammo is the crux of the case, it was self-admitted and forensic investigation verified the loads. Don't let this sway anyone from entering reloading, as it is cost effective for range use and downright fun in an anal way. By this I mean most reloaders I've met are safety hounds, and precision is their goal besides volume shooters.

All of my carry/home defense ammo is factory produced, and procured after researching ballistics and specified for shooting dynamics. The combination of mechanical effectiveness of revolvers and technologically advanced ammo make them a great option for home defense.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You don't happen to work at the Gun Room in Portland, OR do you? They also are stuck in the past and justify their beliefs with incorrect or biased information!

Revolver reliability is a myth. There are a thousand and one things that can go wrong with a revolver, they have way more tiny delicate parts, and when something does go wrong it requires tools, time, and light to fix. The most common issues for autoloaders are feeding problems that can be quickly and easily remedied on the spot in the vast majority of cases. When looking into reliability a person should focus on the specific firearm, not the type it belongs to.

And why is 6 rounds the magical number that you need for home defense? Why not one round? If my revolver holds 7 or 8 rounds does that mean it's no longer fit for home defense, and only useful for armchair commandos?

Just wanted to say I was trying to be cheeky with my first comment, it was a dig at the people at the gun room, not a dig at the OP

edit on 29-8-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I didn't know they were that fast...

That's the best of both worlds.

I'll be looking into that.

Thx.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

NOW I THANK YOU FOR THAT

I have not laughed so hard in months..

Wrong, but great entertainment value..

Thank you again

The reliability of revolvers is a universally accepted paradigm... No proof is needed in that arena..

As a former Marine, I can assure everyone I am not discussing combat... Totally different concept...

edit on 8/29/2015 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

This innocent 2yo may grow up disagreeing with you ...

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
For home defense I use a Smith & wesson 9mm simply due to mag capacity. 11 rounds on a standard clip 15 on an extended. Also my daily carry will be in the vicinity sig 380 Holds 7.

For home defense a revolver is good, but there are better options. Mainly and decently made glock 19, or 27. Just from the standpoint of mag capacity and ease of reload.

Stopping power is marginal especially if you use hollow points and p+ rounds.

Honestly a revolver takes to long to muck with when reloading that 5 or 6 shot plot you have. And dropping shells will give away your position.
edit on 29-8-2015 by AlongCamePaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AlongCamePaul

Takes me no more time to reload my revolver with a speed loader than it does my semi-auto 1911 with a fresh magazine.

...and if you're reloading your revolver in this sort of situation, the bad guy knows where you are, I should think.

Using a speed loader is easy, and gets easier, with practice.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The correct answer to "Which gun should be used for home defense" is NONE.

Statistics prove time and time again that you're six times more likely to have a gun used against you than to actually use one correctly when the situation warrants it.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I'm not really sure what coolness and machismo have to do with legitimate choice in a home defense weapon.

Home invasions happen fairly regularly, and many times they are committed by 2 or more individuals. I love revolvers, I'm fast, and extremely accurate with them.

But you're not going to beat capacity, trigger control, and accuracy of a striker fired pistol under stress of combat.

Loading and reloading a revolver, even with speed loaders requires a lot of fine movement, something semiautomatic handguns don't really have to contend with.

Run out of your five or six rounds, seek cover provided the crooks are advancing on you with their own weapons, depress the cylinder release, depress the ejector once or twice, and now perform gymnastics with your hands to immobilize the cylinder while you line up your moonclip or speed loader, close cylinder and ensure proper alignment.

With my 6 shot Chiappa Rhino 60 I can fire, reload, and fire again, 7 cylinders worth of .357 in 29.6 seconds after lots of training under zero stress.

With my G19G4 I can fire, reload, and fire twice the amount of ammo in a quarter of that time and be more accurate since I don't have to contend with an 8-12 lbs trigger.

Revolvers have their place, but that place was long ago before the turn of the century brought us the magazine fed semiautomatic handguns. 100 years past that, today we have semiautomatics that rival any revolvers in reliability, are far more accurate, and are much easier to handle in combat.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

None, really?

What would you suggest, then? Rely on their, the burglars, good intentions?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Don't worry that's one of those wandering statistics whose numbers move every time someone uses it in a non political firearms debate.
edit on pSat, 29 Aug 2015 19:42:21 -0500201529America/Chicago2015-08-29T19:42:21-05:0031vx8 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Television again

The simple FACTS are very clear...

A homeowner that fires, just once, will cause the invaders to flee..

Do you know how many firefights have occurred as a result of a home invasion or nighttime burglary?

0 (that's a ZERO by the way)

It is quite simply that TV style and combat style firefights just do not happen in the scenarios discussed in the OP...(Or the real world.. With a VERY few notable exceptions that had more going on then is relevant to the OP)

All the homeowner needs is something 100% reliable that requires little to no manipulation in the event of a bad round... A Revolver...

So many on here are just not getting the OP..

Glocks ... Yep. cool and popular.... Get a bad round and clear it under stress.. As I stated, if you have combat experience, maybe... Most of the rest of the population? Bye Bye..

High capacity firearms are just enablers for "Spray and Pray" to the general public...

What happens when you spray and pray? You hit a neighbors kid.. Bye Bye life as you know it...

Fire off 15 rounds and get one hit.. (About average by the way) the other 14 are just flying liability as a standard handgun bullet, 9mm, 45, 357 etc, will go right through your walls and through the neighbors walls and then on to the next house until it gets stopped by a refrigerator or a kid...

Shot placement.. Shot Placement.. Shot Placement ..

As always, just my opinion...

Those that want those cool weapons, the ones that they love to brag about; well they are not really the target of this thread anyway.. Just the ones looking for common sense advice..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join