It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Revolver for Home Defense

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

You do understand that you have referenced a NATIONAL definition of "Home Invasion"????

That all laws are the responsibility of the individual states?

That you are so wrong I have no idea where to start as you obviously don't know the difference in national and state laws

Granted I have only worked in 3 states and retired once as a Captain in charge of statistics, but there is no fixing that level of wrong

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

You do understand that you have referenced a NATIONAL definition of "Home Invasion"????

That all laws are the responsibility of the individual states?

That you are so wrong I have no idea where to start as you obviously don't know the difference in national and state laws

Granted I have only worked in 3 states and retired once as a Captain in charge of statistics, but there is no fixing that level of wrong

Sure you absolutely can have different statutes by state...Ill give you that...id be delighted to see the specific statute you are referring to that is labeled as home invasion. It would be so easy to post it...in fact why don't you...ill be waiting patiently.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
In case people missed it

THIS is the topic of the thread

originally posted by: semperfortis

Why a Revolver for Home Defense

I’m a very experienced firearms instructor with decades of experience in firearms instructing, shooting and competitions. I have instructed and competed all over the East Coast and even on the West Coast at one time. With that being said, I’m asked all the time “what firearm do I choose for my own home defense”.
My answer is always, a revolver. A 357mag to be exact.
Almost 100% of the time, the immediate follow up is … “Why”?

For me it is simple really.
Common sense.

When it comes to home defense, you really have to let common sense overcome several other human factors like “Coolness” and “Machismo” ; it really is your life and the lives of your loved ones we are talking about here. While a semi auto handgun or even a shotgun may seem the better choice; I can present you with one very simple reason why the revolver trumps them all.

Simplicity

Most crimes where a homeowner would need to use their firearm occur at night when the homeowner is asleep. (We do work after all).. Even discounting a sleepy state of being, anytime one is confronted with a situation where you may need to employ a firearm, it is the single most stressful situation you will ever find yourself in. You WILL experience some level of “Fight or Flight”; you WILL lose the ability to perform complex and micro functions. (Such as racking a slide and clearing a jam) Even a hardened combat veteran will take more time in such a situation than they probably have.
In all of my years and all of my experience and the 100s of thousands of rounds I have fired with both semi autos and revolvers, I have never had a properly cared for revolver jam. I have had brand new, out of the box semi autos jam as well as “trusty” old semi autos that have been shooting for years.

Ammunition:
Modern ammunition is amazing. Reliable and effective; yet anyone that has shot enough will have run across a bad bullet or two or three. It is just the nature of factory production that nothing is perfect. Remember “Murphy’s Law”…

If you get a bad bullet with a semi auto, will you be able to clear it in time to save yourself or your loved ones?
Probably not.

If I get one with my revolver, I will just pull the trigger again.
Simplicity.

So please; in choosing what firearm is the “right” firearm for you for home protection, do not discount the old, reliable and simple revolver. While the new, plastic semi autos may be cool, they may be what everyone recommends and they may be what you consider attractive; using common sense, what is it you are trying to do? Look cool, or save yourself and your family?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Right ...but I corrected you on 2 points and was chastised for correcting a 28yr captain of statistics...it is hard to value your opinion as an instructor after your display. You still haven't posted the statute.

And on topic...hey I agree revolvers are a great weapon and even a great first gun! I always find that whatever gun I have I have to enjoy shooting it. I've tried a few of the smaller ones that are better for concealment but vibrate the hell out of yours hands after shooting.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Although you make some valid points, I always have and always will recommend 'Glock' when asked for my hand gun opinion.
But hey, I'm nobody special. Just speaking from 20 plus yrs. experience of handling Glock and thousands of rounds.
I can also speak for all the ladies and gentlemen whom have taken my advice.
For not one of us has had an issue with the brand.

P.S. I think revolvers ARE "cool". I own a couple. But am I gonna pick that up in a situation that has been mentioned, over my Glock......F####€k no, bro.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

Glock is my favorite pistol if I had to be in a fire fight...although a good buddy of mine swears they are trash because his didn't fire once because somehow the firing pin broke.

To carry around town concealed id go for a Kahr CW series or a Smith and Wesson Shield ...man i loved that

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I stick with Smith&Wesson pretty much exclusively for handguns. I like Glock's reliability, but prefer to stick to American made firearms. With the S&W MP40 I have the reliability of a Glock due to the almost exact same design, no safety to fumble with during high stress situations, and I like the exterior design better cause it isn't so boxy. That's just my opinion, however with practice you can make almost any firearm work for you. There was even a place here in Orlando that offered home defense training with sim rounds and a complete model house to train different scenarios in. Not only do you get the benefit of actually firing rounds in those situations you want training in, but you are even fired on in the more advanced training. I hope this kind of training becomes more popular as it seems to me to be the only way to actually simulate the conditions that occur in real life.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
All firearms are capable of failure.
Again, I'm just yapin' away with my preference and experience.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Statistically you have a greater chance of being killed when presenting a weapon to defend. First, the person assaulting you already has the upper hand, second they have already demonstrated they have the capability of being a criminal and would have no problem shooting to kill, third, very few people have the capacity to pull the trigger fast enough.

Your best defense, tell them to take whatever they want. Unless you are willing to die for material possessions.

If you are already in danger, pointing a gun will just increase it.

You are delusional if you think owning any kind of gun makes you safer. Criminals will be criminals, gun or no gun.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It comes down to personal preference and familiarity. To some that means a Glock or Sig, to others a wheel gun leaves little to go wrong in a dire situation. I discounted revolvers when we had youngsters in the house, and although all were in the safe(except my carry), I had semi-autos that had magazine safeties as a precaution. I have never been in a situation where firepower by volume was warranted, but have been mugged/robbed 2 times, both were repelled by my carry.

I too am an instructor(5 years), and certified smith. I will admit that many of the stalwart wheel guns were built to last, and overall, aren't prone to maloutside of ammo issues) like many plastic semi-autos. IMO too many current instructors view semi-autos as the end-all be-all for personal/home defense, and many newly introduced to the handgun realm are missing out by not looking at revolvers as a viable option. Just my .02.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Excellent OP.

Whenever asked for my opinion on this, my answer is exactly the same. Wheel guns don't jam. If the one time in your life you need a gun is during a home invasion, you don't want to have to worry about clearing a weapon malfunction.

I got into it with another member on here because he wanted to prep for a home invasion as if world war 3 was happening in his living room. That's simply absurd. Get something that has the fewest possible ways to let you down and then practice with it.

I don't own a wheel gun myself, but it's always my recommendation to beginner shooters who just want something for home defense.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Mother Jones is not the end all, be all for gun facts.

If you want to roll the dice that the person who, by your own admission, is already committing criminal acts is going to be nice to you, that's your prerogative.

I prefer to roll the dice that the person who's already committing criminal acts just might stop at "stealing this giant TV" once he realizes that coming down the hallway results in high-velocity projectiles coming out to greet him.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
One topic that rarely gets addressed in the revolver v semi-auto discussion is bullet technology, and the growth in the last 10 years of ammunition lethality. Revolvers, like semi-autos, come in many calibers. Smaller calibers, like the .380 were once frowned upon as lacking in power applicable in defense scenarios. With the advent of powder-core and frangible ammo that creates devastating wound channels, the former developed to prevent over-travel, the usage for defense is a reality.

The move towards smaller, high-velocity rounds that translate to impressive kinetic energy makes prior "weak" calibers an option for defense. I will also mention the availability of bio-metric safes, as they(IMO) offer the means to safely store and make available handguns for home defense. I cringe when I read stories of under-pillow and drawer storage when bios have been available for some time now. There are many tools available to those who choose to secure themselves and their families, and elect to do it in a safe manner.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I've been looking at a Taurus Judge. What do you think of them for home defense?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

They don't have much on a claymore, but it'll do.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

If you put it in a safe that means you have to go get it out of the safe. Im just curious how fast the biometric safes are as I don't know. Is the response time the same as if it were in a drawer?

And I agree about the new ammunition...I was using the 9mm P rounds for some time. It is indeed nice seeing the smaller calibres coming back. Even in sniper rifles some teams are finding a 5.56 round is better because a 308 was shooting through too much stuff...and if you are in some trailer park...that could go through quite a bit. Most shots for police snipers are under 200 meters and probably much less.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Always love your threads. I think you are doing somewhat a disservice to not mention the new type of handguns that shoot 410 shotgun shells. In my opinion for the average joe that may shoot their handgun at the range only once a year, this is the safer option. I think the Taurus Judge is probably the way to go. (its a revolver)
www.taurususa.com...

There are new home defense 410 shells that will absolutely stop people in their tracks.
www.winchester.com...

I actually use a good ole texas made derringer for home defense (well to be honest my house is full of weaponry.)

I shoot very hot 410 rounds out of this for home defense. I have two.
Derringers have a super simple shooting mechanism and are as trusty as revolvers in my experience.

This also makes a hellova rattlesnake killer when hiking here in texas.

Great thread.

I only posted this because I think most people are not going to put in the time at the range to become very accurate or comfortable with a 357 which as you know is a damn hot round.

edit on 29-8-2015 by YeahYea4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Your best defense, tell them to take whatever they want. Unless you are willing to die for material possessions.

Tell them to take what ever they want? ...and suppose, just suppose, they don't feel like stopping at those material possessions?

If you are already in danger, pointing a gun will just increase it.

If? There is a criminal in your home. That equates to danger in my book. Thus, I will have a gun in hand to deal with that danger should it come to it.

You are delusional if you think owning any kind of gun makes you safer. Criminals will be criminals, gun or no gun.

Tell me, do you always insult people who disagree with you??? Not a good way to swing them over to your side. It'd be delusional of you if you think it does...

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

If you put it in a safe that means you have to go get it out of the safe. Im just curious how fast the biometric safes are as I don't know. Is the response time the same as if it were in a drawer?

And I agree about the new ammunition...I was using the 9mm P rounds for some time. It is indeed nice seeing the smaller calibres coming back. Even in sniper rifles some teams are finding a 5.56 round is better because a 308 was shooting through too much stuff...and if you are in some trailer park...that could go through quite a bit. Most shots for police snipers are under 200 meters and probably much less.

It's as fast as putting my hand in a slot, and the access door(spring loaded) pops open. To me it's the cat's meow to me, and allows me to keep a loaded weapon, secured, next to my bed if the motion sensors/audio traps are tripped. A little spendy, but worth the investment.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

OUTSTANDING!!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join