It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Revolver for Home Defense

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Why a Revolver for Home Defense

I’m a very experienced firearms instructor with decades of experience in firearms instructing, shooting and competitions. I have instructed and competed all over the East Coast and even on the West Coast at one time. With that being said, I’m asked all the time “what firearm do I choose for my own home defense”.
My answer is always, a revolver. A 357mag to be exact.
Almost 100% of the time, the immediate follow up is … “Why”?

For me it is simple really.
Common sense.

When it comes to home defense, you really have to let common sense overcome several other human factors like “Coolness” and “Machismo” ; it really is your life and the lives of your loved ones we are talking about here. While a semi auto handgun or even a shotgun may seem the better choice; I can present you with one very simple reason why the revolver trumps them all.

Simplicity

Most crimes where a homeowner would need to use their firearm occur at night when the homeowner is asleep. (We do work after all).. Even discounting a sleepy state of being, anytime one is confronted with a situation where you may need to employ a firearm, it is the single most stressful situation you will ever find yourself in. You WILL experience some level of “Fight or Flight”; you WILL lose the ability to perform complex and micro functions. (Such as racking a slide and clearing a jam) Even a hardened combat veteran will take more time in such a situation than they probably have.
In all of my years and all of my experience and the 100s of thousands of rounds I have fired with both semi autos and revolvers, I have never had a properly cared for revolver jam. I have had brand new, out of the box semi autos jam as well as “trusty” old semi autos that have been shooting for years.

Ammunition:
Modern ammunition is amazing. Reliable and effective; yet anyone that has shot enough will have run across a bad bullet or two or three. It is just the nature of factory production that nothing is perfect. Remember “Murphy’s Law”…

If you get a bad bullet with a semi auto, will you be able to clear it in time to save yourself or your loved ones?
Probably not.

If I get one with my revolver, I will just pull the trigger again.
Simplicity.

So please; in choosing what firearm is the “right” firearm for you for home protection, do not discount the old, reliable and simple revolver. While the new, plastic semi autos may be cool, they may be what everyone recommends and they may be what you consider attractive; using common sense, what is it you are trying to do? Look cool, or save yourself and your family?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I don't have near the experience you do, obviously.

But my thinking parallels yours. I have an old, very well maintained, Smith and Wesson revolver in .38 special. I've put thousands of rds. through it, and I can't think of a single malfunction other than the occasional bad round.

Six shots, with three speed-loaders, give me all the shots I'm ever likely to need. 'cause before I'm confronting anyone, assuming for the moment I even do, I'm calling the cops.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Revolvers are great just for what you wrote them for....my only counter argument is this: It will take more than one bullet to stop someone unless you somehow manage a head shot.

In your scenario you suggest its at night...dark...potentially auditory exclusion, increased heart rate and im assuming 6 rounds. That means with all that you have to place most likely half your rounds into your target to stop him. Sure you can shoot him once and they run and die later or even just get scared and run but my only gripe would be the low amount of ammunition. Now add in the potential of two targets..

Also most burglars case houses and rob them during the day when you are at work.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I have been asked the same question many times and always gave the exact same answer for the exact same reason; to which about 70% of the people that asked me, bought a semi auto anyway.

Go figure...

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
i agree with you. simple, reliable and good stopping power.
.357 mag hollowpoint

only downside: just 6 rounds

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

People watch too much TV my friend...

You are 100% correct

If you need more than 6 rounds in a home defense situation, you are in a firefight you do not need to be in. The idea is to "STOP THE THREAT" and "REMOVE yourself from the danger"

If you can not do that with 6 rounds, you can not do that with 200 rounds.

We are not talking Police or military here that have an obligation to stay in the fight.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Also most burglars case houses and rob them during the day when you are at work.

Not true

Most burglaries occur at night

However, if you are home, it is not a burglary, it is a home invasion.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Same experience here

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

Not true

Most burglaries occur at night

However, if you are home, it is not a burglary, it is a home invasion.

You are wrong....in both statements.

Link

Our staff has analyzed a sample of 2,329 burglaries that occurred in the month of March in the city of Houston to answer the above question. The information we uncovered is interesting, if not shocking.

Will a Burglar Strike at Day or Night?

From the data we analyzed, we discovered that the vast majority of burglaries take place during the day. In fact, 72 percent of all burglaries during the month of March in the city of Houston took place during day time hours.

And a Home invasion is different than a burglary. A home invasion is basically criminal trespass and battery put together. In your scenario if an altercation took place it is very possible it would turn into a home invasion. But just cause someone comes in and steals stuff while you are sleeping doesn't make it a home invasion.

Link Home Invasion

In the United States, a home invasion is an illegal and usually forceful entry to an occupied, private dwelling with violent intent to commit a crime against the occupants, such as robbery, assault, rape, murder, or kidnapping.

Notice Robbery is not the same as burglary
edit on 29-8-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The problem with "what ifs" is that there is an infinite number of scenarios, each one varying to give need to a different weapon. The logic in the OP is sound logic. The key to it is practice and muscle memory. One can change a speed loader just as quick as changing a magazine with enough practice. If you consistently make a habit of grabbing your speed loaders along with your revolver when checking out a bump in the night, you'll likely do so on the one time that bump in the night is an intruder.

edit on 8/29/2015 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well I've only been a Police Officer for over 28 years and intimately aware of how the statistics are skewed that are available for the general public..

But you probably know best being as you looked it up on the internet and all

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

The problem with "what ifs" is that there is an infinite number of scenarios, each one varying to give need to a different weapon. The logic in the OP is sound logic. The key to it is practice and muscle memory. One can change a speed loader just as quick as changing a magazine with enough practice. If you consistently make a habit of grabbing your speed loaders along with your revolver when checking out a bump in the night, you'll likely do so on the one time that bump in the night is an intruder.

Why not prepare for all scenarios? Im not against a revolver at all...its a good weapon for the exact reason he stated. However talk to people who have been in combat...real fire fights...ask them how many bullets they shot and then ask them how many times someone was shot before they died. You will be amazed.

And you are saying the key to practice is muscle memory...the real key to practice is over time through many high stress events usually through combat is to control your heart rate to be able to maintain fine motor skills. But to do that you need combat experience. Training helps with anything though...any weapon you train with you will have an advantage over someone who doesn't train.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Well I've only been a Police Officer for over 28 years and intimately aware of how the statistics are skewed that are available for the general public..

What do you think I did for a living? And sure I will agree stats can be skewed...but don't sit there trying to knock me about finding something on the internet when its the only way to to prove a point around here. And after 28 years you should know the answer to both those questions...so either times have changed or stats are changing..but from experience they happen during the day..and appears the data online agrees...and the definition of the law as well.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Sigh

NO

But you keep on keeping on

I'm sure you are correct

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I Pee'd a little right then....LMAO.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Not sure what time of day has to do with anything...

If you aren't home, no one's getting hurt, unless the burglar cuts themselves on a piece of glass...

If you are home, which is the scenario of this thread, what's the best choice?

Not sure why you're nitpicking this...the topic is what sort of weapon you might want when you are home, and might need to defend yourself, or family.

Sempers choice, based on his experience as a law enforcement officer of long standing, is a revolver.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Sigh

NO

But you keep on keeping on

I'm sure you are correct

Honestly prove the definition of home invasion as what you said and prove they happen more during the night or at this point we have a moderator that is a liar or highly misinformed. And I am correct. In fact I welcome all cops on ATS to comment on those two points. 28 yrs of doing the job wrong it sounds like.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You can't prepare for every scenario. The only thing you can do is equip yourself with something that can handle as wide a variety of scenarios as possible. A revolver fits that bill perfectly. There's really no comparison in stopping power between 5.56 and .357/.44 so that example doesn't really float.

No, the average homeowner is not going to have combat experience. This is what I mean when I say practice and muscle memory. Practice: Do drills changing out speed loaders and magazines. Muscle Memory: When checking out things in the house, make a habit of always grabbing what you need to safely do so. So that way when you're tired, groggy, and not thinking clearly, muscle memory takes over and you grab those items instinctively. No combat training needed for that.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Specifically what brand/model and caliber do you recommend? And would it be something that I would enjoy shooting at the range?

(post by rockpaperhammock removed for a manners violation)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join