It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender neutral craze comes to The University of Tennesee

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: Shamrock6

I agree with Jude, a minor segment of society is now trying to change how we identify the natural course of nature? Male or female gender is how we define the difference in body anatomy. This politically forced acceptance of GLBT is going way too far. If they continue to force changes like this, the strides the GLBT community has gained will back fire.

Politically forced? Force changes? Did you even read the OP?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Reallyfolks

Who ever said that reproduction wasn't required for the survival of a species? No one is disputing that. It has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Do you know all about how the human brain works? No one knows for sure how it all works, but scientists are finding out a little more every day. They are discovering that sometimes the part of the brain that identifies with the physical gender doesn't match up. I'm talking about a physical part of the grey matter - I'm talking neurological, not psychological - there's a difference. They haven't pieced together the whole puzzle yet, but they will. And won't you feel stupid when they confirm (as they already suspect) that transgender people aren't "nuts" - they simply have a brain that works differently.

Keep an open mind, please. Don't insist that the world is flat, because you just might be proven wrong.

The fact reproduction is required for survival and the fact people are born to fill with the egg or sperm role in that reproduction is the root of the argument. As I said some people can't reproduce for various reason but were born with the equipment. Even intersex people fall into one of two roles and can claim any social gender they want

This is the very root of the argument biological gender vs social gender. Since it is medically impossible to reverse these roles eggs, sperm even with surgery to me your role determines your gender. Now people who focus on social gender disagree and it's there right to do so. The whole claiming intelligence above those who don't see gender from a social aspect is droll at best, but whatever makes you feel good is fine.

There is a difference between man woman, boy and girl, he and she, and something very identifiable to seperate the two in biology...eggs or sperm

If someone feels that social gender reins supreme have at it. I disagree. And if you think that the very real classification of gender can be determined by the egg sperm role is akin to flat earth enjoy.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick
Am I the only one that notices how obsurd this is when I just insert unicorn instead of transgender?

the reason for this is that your substitution renders your sentence nonsensical.
logical fallacy.
of course it's absurd. that's what absurdity IS.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

dear thunder, I understand your pain, but if one transitions into a she, or a he, why wouldn't you want to be called she or he, isn't that what you feel you are?
edit on 113131p://bSaturday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I have a child that calls K Jenner it. It's hilarious no matter how many times I try to explain that "it" isn't very nice.

However inclusion is a big issue on campuses. The biggest thing one must consider is that campuses are mini towns and alternatives are not always available. If a campus has any trans they are usually try to designate one bathroom in a specific location to them. On a huge campus that just isn't feasable.

originally posted by: introvert

Stupidity.

Why don't we just call everyone "it" and be done with it?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

dear thunder, I understand your pain, but if one transitions into a she, or a he, why wouldn't you want to be called she or he, isn't that what you feel you are?

sometimes, kind of, yes. in very simple terms. I am a woman, and i was born with a penis. the testosterone my body produced caused me unendurable pain, so i started hrt, which corrected my hormones, and now i live comfortably and unquestioned as the woman i am. i'm a relatively simple case - i'm extremely feminine and i feel comfortable with female pronouns so it's 'easy'.
I have good friends, however, who similarly could not stand the role of male they were handed at birth and have also rebalanced their hormones.. but who, unlike me, don't actually identify as strictly female either.
And that's cool! Who are any of us to judge? They feel comfortable as a neutral, and it really isn't hard for me to make a point of referring to them as such. It's just words, it's so simple to do, and it makes people who get treated so poorly so constantly feel a bit more understood and cared for. Yet so many people seem to have a problem with that. it's so sad.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The idea of gender neutral pronouns has been around for a long time.

The first recorded use of the pronouns was in a January 1890 editorial by one James Rogers, who derives e, es, and em from he and them in response to the proposed "thon". In 1975, Christine M. Elverson of Skokie, Illinois, won a contest by the Chicago Association of Business Communicators to find replacements for "she and he", "him and her", and "his and hers". Her "transgender pronouns" ey, em, and eir were formed by dropping the "th" from they, them, and their. (See 'em.) The article that first reported the pronouns treated them as something of a joke, concluding with the line, "A contestant from California entered the word 'uh' because 'if it isn't a he or a she, it's uh, something else.' So much of eir humor." en.m.wikipedia.org...

In 1983, a mathematician-educator, Michael Spivak, wrote an AMS-TeX manual, The Joy of TeX (1983), using E, Em, and Eir. His set was similar to Elverson's, but capitalized like one of MacKay's sets. Writing in 2006, Spivak said: d[unreliable source?] “ The original pronoun set was not created by me. I think I read about it in a newspaper clipping, perhaps from the Boston Globe, during the time I taught at Brandeis, and I believe it was credited to an anthropologist; later on, when I wanted to use it, I was unable to locate the source. In "The Joy of TeX", I wrote "Numerous approaches to this problem have been suggested, but one strikes me as particularly simple and sensible." I assumed people would figure that I was using a construction I couldn't properly credit, and not consider me so immodest as to praise my own invention (though I guess that was a rather immodest assumption). en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: EKron
I give up. Haters gonna hate. Have at it. You win. I'm out. Happy now?

Enjoy your little close minded circle jerk and have a nice day!

Why is "open minded" such a subjective thing?

Don't want to use "ze?" Well you're just close minded.

Don't like guns and want them all banned? Well by God, you're enlightened.

Why is it that whomever disagrees with somebody who buys into the current trend is automatically ignorant and close minded? It never ceases to amaze me how often times the same people who cast aspersions of ignorance and close mindedness are the same ones who vehemently argue the "negative" side on another issue. Because they don't like THAT issue, but they DO like THIS issue.

Is selective mindedness a thing?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Why is it that whomever disagrees with somebody who buys into the current trend is automatically ignorant and close minded?

Probably because they're too ignorant and closed-minded to entertain anything other than their own opinion.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

They feel comfortable as a neutral, and it really isn't hard for me to make a point of referring to them as such

Don't people have names anymore?

How about we just treat each other as equals, In a way I get your point, I am old, an old women but I don't like being call old lady,

I think I am confused,

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
OH and everything wrong with the world is boomers fault and we should all die . Soon.

That doesn't make me feel very accepted.

and I believe in a sky fairy.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

idk, it seems to me like what i'm talking about is equal treatment. You get the pronouns that feel right for you, i get the ones that feel right for me, and my friend who prefers neutral pronouns gets theirs. that kind of seems like the most equal way things could possibly be??

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
a reply to: Stormdancer777

idk, it seems to me like what i'm talking about is equal treatment. You get the pronouns that feel right for you, i get the ones that feel right for me, and my friend who prefers neutral pronouns gets theirs. that kind of seems like the most equal way things could possibly be??

OH, let me think

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
So the transgenders have fought tooth and nail to be identified as the sex of their choice...

& the PC brigade come along and say "now we're gonna call you something else instead.

Bizarro world.

Indeed. I would just call everyone Dawg or since it's Tennessee Vols.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

We should have never allowed women the right to vote.

It's been going downhill since then.

Chicks be trippin', yo.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

Okay, let's try it this way:

Do you believe that the brain is important? Do you believe that the brain is basically "the ruler" of the body, i.e., it tells all the body parts what to do? Do you agree that without the brain, the body parts aren't going to work (not without medical assistance)?

Now, can you see that a brain that is telling the body what to do, can also be telling the body that it is a different gender than what the body parts say? That isn't social gender vs biological gender. The brain IS a biological part of the body, just as much as the penis or vagina is. We are talking brain gender vs physical gender. The scientists say that our consciousness comes not from our body parts, but from our brains. We live our day-to-day lives by our consciousness more than we live by our body parts. If our consciousness is telling us that we are what our body parts tell us we are (as most people's consciousness does), then there is no issue. We "feel" like what we look like.

But sometimes, and we don't exactly know why, our consciousness, i.e., the physical, biological brain, tells us that we are a different gender than what the body parts are. So, do we go by what our brain, which is the essence of our consciousness, says - or do we go simply what the body part says and go against our brain/consciousness?

Since your biological brain is telling you that you are what your body part says, you don't have any problems. Can you try, even for a few minutes to ignore your body parts and go against your brain and convince yourself that you are a different gender? Now try doing it for the rest of your life. I bet you can't go against your brain. That is how important and powerful the brain/consciousness is.

I think brain gender reigns supreme, because I believe consciousness reigns supreme. Because without our consciousness, we are just dead meat.

edit on 29-8-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I think the problem is to talk to someone new. For exemple a class camarade in an University or while you speak to a crowd. If I know the person I can adjust my language, but else, it can become problematic. That is why I stick to the rules. Anyways it's the expected behaviour. I mean somebody that doesn't feel like either sex expect other people to use common pronouns.
edit on 29-8-2015 by PersonneX because: the->to

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Am I the only one that notices how obsurd this is when I just insert unicorn instead of transgender?

I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder

the reason for this is that your substitution renders your sentence nonsensical.
logical fallacy.
of course it's absurd. that's what absurdity IS.

Ahem.

Argument from fallacy is the formal fallacy of analyzing an argument and inferring that, since it contains a fallacy, its conclusion must be false. It is also called argument to logic (argumentum ad logicam), fallacy fallacy, fallacist's fallacy, and bad reasons fallacy.

edit on 29-8-2015 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: PersonneX

which is precisely why it's good that things like in the OP are happening - the more understood and accepted this is, the easier it will be for everyone. In many of my social circles, sharing pronouns is just a simple part of meeting someone new. You meet someone new, you tell them your name, right? telling your pronouns is an extra, what, four syllables, maximum. Then everyone's on the same page. It's cool.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join