It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender neutral craze comes to The University of Tennesee

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
Alright guys, listen up, these are the actual facts, from someone who lives it.
gender is not a binary
we do not live in a world of black and white.
Sure, we live in a society that tells you it's nothing more than man and woman, but look around, nature just doesn't bear that out - there are shades and scales, simple boxes just don't work to categorise complex humans.

If you're one of the lucky people [of whom there are fewer than you would ever believe] who feel completely comfortable with the gender you were assigned with the day you were born, try to imagine how it would feel for everyone you meet to insist you were a different gender, to never be taken seriously - to be openly mocked and derided just for having an option to be referred to with a term that feels comfortable.
Where's your compassion?
How hard is it to take on board that some people aren't the same?
Are people really so lazy or hateful that asking people what terms they prefer and changing one single word when talking to them is just too much?

There's pretty defined boxes for gender unless you are a rare specimen. In terms of reproduction does your ability fall to the egg or sperm side? You are a man or woman. Feel free to feel however you want about what you are, but to say gender can't be defined with standard boxes isn't the truth. Argue all you want, doesn't matter. Neither gender is better or worse but nature or God or whatever else you believe has decieded gender from the day you were born. Want surgery, want to change, have at it. But gender is in fact as simple as check boxes.

Also the majority of people aren't comfortable with the gender they were assigned? OK
edit on 29-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Newspeak.

IMO it is ungood.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: PersonneX

well that's just the thing.
this whole thing is about encouraging people to talk about the pronouns that work for them. Which no, do not always correspond to what the society we live in conditions us to see as the 'appropriate' gender.
Personally, as a relatively binaristic trans woman who got really lucky with genetics, the pronouns people use without thinking work for me. Not every girl is that lucky, and not everyone is a girl or boy. it's not a simple thing, humans aren't simple creatures. I don't understand why people resist this, truly understanding the intricacies of your own gender and how it intermingles with the wide strange world is a wonderful thing.

edit on 29-8-2015 by continuousThunder because: laptop keyboard loathes existence

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Did you just suggest that those of us who are happy with our gender are a minority?

And why did you just say "guys" if you're pushing the notion that "dude" and "dudette" aren't appropriate?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

If I doubt, I will avoid some word, but if I must I use masculin. For talking about a group, I use masculin, like the languages rules implies. I will never call an humain being "it" or "thing" and any word created for that purpose, it's fell like segregation. And I won't accept to use new rules to please for a minorities that does not "feel" included, because it's juste a feeling, they are...
edit on 29-8-2015 by PersonneX because: missing a not after the does

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Welcome to the utterly asinine world of political correctness, American style. If you're expecting any of it to make sense, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

i said there are fewer than most would believe.
and that number is growing steadily smaller every single day, as it becomes less of a taboo to actually explore our own innate complex natures and we learn more about the non-binaristic nature of existence.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Alright guys, listen up, these are the actual facts, from someone who lives it. gender is not a binary we do not live in a world of black and white.

i'm sorry it most defiantly is. though you might think or feel you were born the wrong sex. you are what you are male / female.
i.e. if you were born with a penis, your body produces semen for procreation if your body is functioning correctly.
if you where born with a vagina and ovaries, your body produces eggs for procreation if your body is functioning correctly.
hence male and female
the only way this stops in healthy people, is if you have genital reconstructive surgery (GRS), then you can't procreate
nothing else can change this no matter what, the only way for a transgender to have children is to avoid surgery, which would mean your a functioning male or female biologically, or to have semen and eggs frozen and use a surrogate.

here is a article even though i don't care much for the huffin post, by a transgender advocate.

For a transsexual woman (assigned male at birth), genital surgery generally gives her a functional vagina constructed from her prior genitalia. It does not, however, give her ovaries, a uterus or a cervix. Medical science is far from being able to transplant those female reproductive organs for anyone, trans or not.

For a transsexual man (assigned female at birth), genital surgery generally gives him male genetalia that can sometimes be used for sex. It does not, however, give him functional testicles, and doctors are far from perfecting transplants for them, too.
These considerations are often missed by policymakers who set genital reconstructive surgery as a requirement for changing the gender marker on an identity document. GRS generally removes the ability to reproduce via conventional intercourse, and its exclusion of GRS from most employer health insurance coverage renders it unaffordable for many.
Can Transgender People Bear Children?

just because people want to pretend or say they feel that they should have been the opposite sex, biology is what determines what they are. regardless.

edit on 29-8-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
1. At one point in time several things that are normal to us now, were outrageous.
2. Fads come and go.
3. Socially minded people tend to be defiant.
4. The more you call something stupid or outrageous to a defiant group, the more likely they are to cling to it making it a norm instead of a fad.

Personally it doesn't phase me that a group of students wants gender neutral pronouns, if I go into their space I'll respect them as humans by using the pronouns they want. Respect doesn't hurt society, gender neutrality doesn't hurt society.

link   
A wild double post appears...
edit on 8/29/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

link   
In Tennessee of all places?

Before this thread goes off the rails like another recently on a closely related subject, Biggest Gay Lobby Group in America Urges Schools to Ban Words ‘Boy’ and ‘Girl’, this is NOT anything mandatory and in no way does it suggest the traditional binary gender pronouns he/him, she/her not be used.

It is simply an inclusive way to politely refer to those that may not identify as either gender or those in the middle of transitioning from one to the other. These people have always existed throughout history and are now finally being given the opportunity to live openly and be accepted for who they are.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Unless you have some kind of data to show that there's a steadily increasing army of "non gender binary" people out there, I'm gonna have to disagree. I know a staggeringly greater proportion of people who identify as man or woman than I know people who don't.

A vocal minority doesn't stop being a minority just because it's vocal. And I will add in that simply saying you identify as something one day doesn't equate to living it. Identifying as black didn't work out so well for Rachel Dolezahl or whatever her name is.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

an actual thoughtful and respectful reply! i was was only reading to see if someone, somewhere in the thread would not be a jerk and make stupid predictable comments. thank you!

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
A wild double post appears...

But why is the picture so blurry?!?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is pure silliness. Am I even on the same planet anymore?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I just want to warn. That is a two-edge knife. Words are powerfull and that give wearpon to both side, I try to be the most inclusive I could. To do so, I try not adding new word to isolate people. You can be a Tri-gender space fire fox, but I will treat you like a human being, that means, the best way I can.

Thank you continuousThunder for your answer. I liked to talk with you.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

You, sir, have antiquated ideas and lack knowledge in the subject you are speaking about. Things are far more complicated than your simplistic 8th grade biology lessons have led you to believe.

Please have a look at this current thread and pay particular attention to the posts on page two from myself and JadeStar. Sooo...BLM? Well...what about #BlackTransLivesMatter ? You might actually learn something?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
1. At one point in time several things that are normal to us now, were outrageous.
2. Fads come and go.
3. Socially minded people tend to be defiant.
4. The more you call something stupid or outrageous to a defiant group, the more likely they are to cling to it making it a norm instead of a fad.

Personally it doesn't phase me that a group of students wants gender neutral pronouns, if I go into their space I'll respect them as humans by using the pronouns they want. Respect doesn't hurt society, gender neutrality doesn't hurt society.

That's cool, to each his or her own. The only thing I would say is respecting someone's species in this case human really hasn't much to do with their gender. I understand your point though. Some will make the effort, some will say get bent, some will ignore, and so on.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: EKron

You might actually learn something?

what that there are touchy feely people that want to change how the majority of the world thinks so they can be happy, and not adjust to what they really are. i already knew that.

so your telling me that biology is not the determining factor in what sex your where born. and that a transgender that had had GRS can procreate.

i'm sorry,it is that simple.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The increase in insanity in the world is comparable to the speed in which the insanity is promoted by 2 or 3 percent of the general population. Tail wag dog I think is term, that 2 or 3 percent want to drag everyone down to their level. Of course as the article indicates, the pushers of this nonsense is in the LGBTQ crowd.

Some people just need to be bitch-slapped out of their delusional ideas and get a reality check.

Cheers - Dave

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join