It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender neutral craze comes to The University of Tennesee

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

In Breikss own words using banned words will be punished. Him and her denotes male and female.
Yes. I know. Man and women also denotes male and female, but those words don't seem to be banned. The course title is, after all, "Women & Popular Culture." It seems the prof has a problem with the specific biological terminology for some reason. Maybe she explains why in the class.

Gross generalizations, stereotypes, and derogatory/oppressive language are not acceptable. Use of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, classist, or generally offensive language in class or submission of such material will not be tolerated. (This includes “The Man,” “Colored People,” “Illegals/Illegal Aliens,” “Tranny” and so on - or referring to women/men as females or males) If I see it or hear it, I will correct it in class since it can be a learning moment for many students. Repeated use of oppressive and hateful language will be handled accordingly – including but not limited to removal from the class without attendance or participation points, failure of the assignment, and - in extreme cases - failure for the semester.

ccgrs.wsu.edu...

edit on 8/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Reallyfolks

What's the syllabus have to do with not saying female in a woman's studies class?
Having trouble following?
The syllabus has everything to do with it. The class is about the oppression of women by the evil of men. Complaining about restrictions on the words used in the class is ignoring the forest for the trees.

The term female represents oppression? On what planet? Totally ridiculous, not a bit of sense in that or even trying to argue it makes sense

So please tell me the how female is ignoring the Forrest for the tree's.

A female is a term referring to biological make up, chromosome, uterous, etc. Please enlighten me on the term female and oppression
edit on 30-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You seem to ignore the fact that other faculty members are following suit and are imposing similar rules. It is more than just one class. Word banning? You are really going to defend that? We are not talking about derogatory words. We are talking about banning descriptors. We have gone beyond "suggestions" and moved on to banning. Some people said it was not a slippery slope. "It's just suggestions, nothing more. No one is banning anything." Apparently it was a slippery slope and it's getting more so. It is spreading. More faculty members are adopting similar policies.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

The term female represents oppression? On what planet? Totally ridiculous, not a bit of sense in that or even trying to argue it make sense
Where did I say it makes sense?

So please toy tell me the how female is ignoring the Forrest for the tree's.
If, in light of what the course is about, you are concerned about the banning of two words, you are missing the real "threat" to the students.

A female is a term referring to biological make up, chromosome, uterous, etc. Please enlighten me on the term female and oppression
You'll have to ask the professor. I have no idea why she thinks that.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Word banning? You are really going to defend that?
Nope. Have I?

We are not talking about derogatory words.
Oh, there are a number of those which are included as well.

Some people said it was not a slippery slope. "It's just suggestions, nothing more. No one is banning anything." Apparently it was a slippery slope and it's getting more so.
Good, you're getting back to the OP. In which no words are banned or even suggested not to be used. The OP is about asking students what pronoun they would like to be addressed by.

edit on 8/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

The term female represents oppression? On what planet? Totally ridiculous, not a bit of sense in that or even trying to argue it make sense
Where did I say it makes sense?

So please toy tell me the how female is ignoring the Forrest for the tree's.
If, in light of what the course is about, you are concerned about the banning of two words, you are missing the real "threat" to the students.

You'll have to ask the professor. I have no idea why she thinks that.

Speech control is a concern and should be for anyone. But explain the Forrest to me. Exspecially when there's nothing wrong with the speech.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

But explain the Forrest to me.

I did.
(Capitalized? You want me to explain Forrest Gump to you?)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

But explain the Forrest to me.

I did.
(Capitalized? You want me to explain Forrest Gump to you?)

What's the forrest or being specific real threat? I hope you amused yourself last post. Explain away

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
One "r." Forest has one "r."

Right there in the syllabus.

This class will look the intersections of race, class, gender, and sexuality in film and media, and the social, political, economic, and cultural practices impact of these mediums. We will explore some of the complexities of these identities through the course texts, selected articles, group discussions, lectures, and film with attention to media and popular culture. Using classic and contemporary films, as well as sample content from television and the internet, we will explore the boundaries, stipulations, and expectations which shape cultural expectations of sex, gender identity and expression, sexuality, and sexual orientation.

Sept 1: VanZoonen – “Feminist Perspectives on the Media” (p. 25)
Tuchman – “The Symbolic Annihilation of Women by the Mass Media” (p. 41)

Williams – “Film Bodies” (p. 480)
Schneider – “Female Psycho-Killers” (CP)

Stacey – “Feminine Fascinations” (p. 641)
Farmer – “The Fabulous Sublimity of Gay Diva Worship” (p. 655)

Winslow – “Colonizing Caster Semenya: Gender Transformation and the Makeover Genre” (CP)
Serano – “Skirt Chasers: Why the Media Depicts the Trans Revolution in Lipstick and Heels” (CP)

ccgrs.wsu.edu...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So what's the real threat as you see it?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
[post]originally posted by: Phage

Gross generalizations, stereotypes, and derogatory/oppressive language are not acceptable. Use of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, classist, or generally offensive language in class or submission of such material will not be tolerated. (This includes “The Man,” “Colored People,” “Illegals/Illegal Aliens,” “Tranny” and so on - or referring to women/men as females or males)

Can't get any more direct or to the point then that.

Why is there a question?
edit on 30-8-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

That them wimmens don't know their proper place and courses like this will get them all uppity.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

That them wimmens don't know their proper place and courses like this will get them all uppity.

have a martini for making me laugh.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Can anyone quickly tell me the topic of this thread?

Seems it's gone far off topic.....and if this continues....the thread will be closed.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
From what I gather, he or she isn't good enough anymore so they made up some weird word for both genders. Or were you asking a rhetorical question?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
How do you teach biology without gender?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Some dumb-ass committee had to think of a way to justify their existence, didn't they?
a reply to: Shamrock6

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

It was rhetorical...as the last page and more was totally off topic......

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
Oh, sorry. Do I win a cookie though?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This thread seems to have run it's course.....
Closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join