It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender neutral craze comes to The University of Tennesee

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Apparently at Washington state according to an article posted above him and her aren't an option

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
a reply to: Shamrock6

What do I think?
I think far too many people are far too ready to scream and rant about things that have absolutely no impact at all on their lives, and that their basis for such ranting is nothing more than terror that the society around them is evolving in a way they cannot comprehend within their simple brains.

All the people ranting in this thread (and I know there are, before even seeing the responses) are ranting about things that change nothing in their lives, they just desperately need SOMETHING to be angry about.

Really?

Someday, my son might want to attend a university. It then impacts me if I have to deal with that craziness and am expected to pay for it.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks
Apparently you did not read that article.

edit on 8/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Someday, my son might want to attend a university. It then impacts me if I have to deal with that craziness and am expected to pay for it.

If that's your biggest worry about what your son might encounter in college you have a lot to learn.

If you don't think he can deal with it, best not send him.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Apparently you did not read that article.

Male and female not allowed without penalty, that makes it better....

Multiple professors at Washington State University have explicitly told students their grades will suffer if they use terms such as “illegal alien,” "male," and “female,” or if they fail to “defer” to non-white students.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
In a single Women's Studies class.
But show me where the words "him" and "her" are not allowed.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I corrected it to what it said. And regardless it's stupid. Can't say female in women's studies?????? Wow our future leaders.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
College professors are not our future leaders. There have been wacky ones for...ever.

For the record, I think "women's studies" courses are pretty ridiculous in general.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

College professors are not our future leaders.
For the record, I think "women's studies" courses are pretty ridiculous in general.

Wasn't referring to the professors, referring to the students. Did you really try to make that as a counter point????

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Why should I pay for it?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
College?
That's up to you.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Wasn't referring to the professors, referring to the students.

What are the students doing?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

College?
That's up to you.

He is probably going along the lines of state university and tax payer funds. This really isn't that hard to follow
edit on 30-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Wasn't referring to the professors, referring to the students.

What are the students doing?

Do you even know what you are posting? I was making a comment about our future leaders, the students. Being taught that the term female is somehow wrong. Ie say it there is a penalty. Again the conversation isn't that hard to follow.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I think it is definitely a cultural change worth mentioning. It is true that there are certain situations that arise these days where pronoun usage has to be changed around, for example calling a natural girl "him" when he is transgender. It all gets a little confusing. I haven't heard of these entirely new pronouns before.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

I think it is definitely a cultural change worth mentioning. It is true that there are certain situations that arise these days where pronoun usage has to be changed around, for example calling a natural girl "him" when he is transgender. It all gets a little confusing. I haven't heard of these entirely new pronouns before.

Are they really new? Gender-neutral pronouns are not new.

There have been efforts to mainstream them before. I guess there needed to be a stronger social movement of necessity.

In 1789, William H. Marshall records the existence of a dialectal English epicene pronoun, singular "ou": "'Ou will' expresses either he will, she will, or it will." Marshall traces "ou" to Middle English epicene "a", used by the 14th century English writer John of Trevisa, and both the OED and Wright's English Dialect Dictionary confirm the use of "a" for he, she, it, they, and even I. This "a" is a reduced form of the Anglo-Saxon he = "he" and heo = "she".

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I was making a comment about our future leaders, the students. Being taught that the term female is somehow wrong. Ie say it there is a penalty.
Any student taking a women's study class is well down that path already. Did you read the syllabus?

Again the conversation isn't that hard to follow.
Perhaps if you posted more than one or two lines it would help.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I was making a comment about our future leaders, the students. Being taught that the term female is somehow wrong. Ie say it there is a penalty.
Any student taking a women's study class is well down that path already. Did you read the syllabus?

Again the conversation isn't that hard to follow.
Perhaps if you posted more than one or two lines it would help.

What's the syllabus have to do with not saying female in a woman's studies class?

No one else has this problem of following along but you even on a one or two liner

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Did you read the article? You have ignored the two specific detail that refute your entire post.

www.campusreform.org...

Multiple professors at Washington State University have explicitly told students their grades will suffer if they use terms such as “illegal alien,” "male," and “female,” or if they fail to “defer” to non-white students.

The article clearly states multiple professors and it isn't confined to just one class.

Breikss is not the only WSU faculty member implementing such policies.

Much like in Selena Breikss’s classroom, students taking Professor Rebecca Fowler’s “ Introduction to Comparative Ethnic Studies” course will see their grades suffer if they use the term “illegal alien” in their assigned writing.

White students in Professor John Streamas’s “ Introduction to Multicultural Literature” class, are expected to “defer” to non-white students, among other community guidelines, if they want “to do well in this class.”

And the other quote I used:

The punishmentfor repeatedly using the banned words, Breikss warns, includes “but [is] not limited to removal from the class without attendance or participation points, failure of the assignment, and— in extreme cases— failure for the semester.”

In Breikss own words using banned words will be punished. Him and her denotes male and female.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

What's the syllabus have to do with not saying female in a woman's studies class?
Having trouble following?
The syllabus has everything to do with it. The class is about the oppression of women by the evil of men. Complaining about restrictions on the words used in the class is ignoring the forest for the trees.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join